What's new

Pipe Questions

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Got home and got my pipe out and remembered why I stopped smoking it. I was out of cleaners and kept forgetting to get some. Any ideas for cleaning it now or should cleaners be enough?
i suggest a high percentage alcohol and some rough cleaners. soak an inch and pass it through several times until it comes out clean use more than one, it will probably be necessary, then use a soft bristle cleaner and remove the rest of the moisture. if your bowl needs to be cleaned i use a pipe cleaner bent in a "U" shape to wipe. but dont remove your cake. if the cake is too thick there is a set of pipe reamers for about 25 bucks on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Castleford-Multi-Fit-Tobacco-Pipe-Reamer/dp/B002WR1NIM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424760617&sr=8-1&keywords=pipe+reamer, use that to GENTLY shave of the cake until smooth and even. i have heard of people using Hot water, ever clear, or high octane whiskey as a cleaning solution.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'll probably be shot for saying this, but I ordered from Cigars International. I don't know a good pipe pusher as of yet. Any recommendations??

I did good though. The deal of the day wasn't what I wanted, and rather than waiting, I just went ahead and paid for shipping lol. I even upgraded my shipping to 2-3 days. $8.99!! Too funny. The shipping was 1/4 of the total.

Pipe smoking lol...
I buy from them also! Have yet to make any pipe or baccy purchases because I'm taking a weekend trip there with my girlfriend in a week or so. The anticipation is building up. I've been told they have a legit pipe section in their superstores. Plus a ton of baccy.

Coming from a noob to the pipe smoking, I have a Dr Grabow and only started about 2 weeks ago. I now have a Savenelli spring pipe as well. Slowly getting a hold on things. Plus at my local B&M, the manager is the pipe guru. Literally took me to school on Pipe smoking 101. And only learning more from there.....

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
i suggest a high percentage alcohol and some rough cleaners. soak an inch and pass it through several times until it comes out clean use more than one, it will probably be necessary, then use a soft bristle cleaner and remove the rest of the moisture. if your bowl needs to be cleaned i use a pipe cleaner bent in a "U" shape to wipe. but dont remove your cake. if the cake is too thick there is a set of pipe reamers for about 25 bucks on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Castleford-Multi-Fit-Tobacco-Pipe-Reamer/dp/B002WR1NIM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424760617&sr=8-1&keywords=pipe reamer, use that to GENTLY shave of the cake until smooth and even. i have heard of people using Hot water, ever clear, or high octane whiskey as a cleaning solution.
The cake seems fine. Not much at all. I used a dry paper towel to wipe out the bowl. There was a pipe filter in it that I took out and it was nasty. I will take your advice and wish me luck. The local tobacco shop has a large selection of pipe tobaccos. Never took the time to visit about them but I plan on it today.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Ok, so I went to the b and m. Very nice and helpful when I went to the pipe desk. Much nicer than when I went to the humidor, same lady, but was very willing to help me get my pipe back in order.
Got some soft cleaners and some rougher ones since its been so long. Also hooked me up with some cleaning solution for the stem.
Also got a 2 oz bag of the house blend (most popular). 2oz for 6 bucks seemed like a good deal to me. Smelled delicious and cant wait to try it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I went to the b and m. Very nice and helpful when I went to the pipe desk. Much nicer than when I went to the humidor, same lady, but was very willing to help me get my pipe back in order.
Got some soft cleaners and some rougher ones since its been so long. Also hooked me up with some cleaning solution for the stem.
Also got a 2 oz bag of the house blend (most popular). 2oz for 6 bucks seemed like a good deal to me. Smelled delicious and cant wait to try it.
NICE!!

Let us know how you enjoy getting back to it. My Tobacco still isn't in - going to clean my pipe tonight.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got home and got my pipe out and remembered why I stopped smoking it. I was out of cleaners and kept forgetting to get some. Any ideas for cleaning it now or should cleaners be enough?
I use Vodka as a cleaner....spray the cleaner with it and then clean the inside and the alcohol dissipates quickly and acts as a magnet to get all of the loose gunk. Here's a hint for those who have granite counter tops or other types....fill up a spray bottle with cheap Vodka and use it as a cleaner and disinfectant and it works great!! The wife has done this for years and is a stickler for cleanliness and disinfecting....every once in a while I'll catch her spraying some in her mouth just to mess with my head.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
But you know Zippo - you bring up a good point.

Smoking is a personal endeavour. If you smoke for pleasure and truly enjoy it, no matter how rich or poor, fat or skinny... whatever. No matter how whatever you are, if you truly enjoy your smoke, the passion will shine through and hence an attractiveness will shine through with it.

That's my take anyway - and I am running with it :).
You seem to capture the real silver lining to our hobby here...cigars or pipes. I bet I've met some of the most interesting people who shared our hobby and to have conversations with them was amazing. I usually meet people on Cruises I take and the spectrum of people.....lawyers, CEO's, Entertainers, you name it.....kept us entertained for the entire time with stories that I only thought existed in magazines and books. You just never know who you are going to be sitting next to and a group of us were befriended by one of the CruiseLine Entertainers and he in turn would always mention us during his acts...making us stand up...we felt like royalty to just to be mentioned by this man who most would know from TV/Movies. This hobby has been great to me....I've been able to forge relationships that I probably would never have been able to without something like cigars to buffer the first conversation. There is never any judgement as to what one did or does.....it was always about each person sharing their lives while enjoying a great cigar/pipe and from that first day in a Cruise Cigar Lounge it was like a Band of Brothers the rest of the time as we'd acknowledge each other around the ship. My wife is always amazed when somebody would come up to us and start a conversation.....she'd ask..."how do you know him?" After that she always knew....."another cigar buddy, huh?"

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to capture the real silver lining to our hobby here...cigars or pipes. I bet I've met some of the most interesting people who shared our hobby and to have conversations with them was amazing. I usually meet people on Cruises I take and the spectrum of people.....lawyers, CEO's, Entertainers, you name it.....kept us entertained for the entire time with stories that I only thought existed in magazines and books. You just never know who you are going to be sitting next to and a group of us were befriended by one of the CruiseLine Entertainers and he in turn would always mention us during his acts...making us stand up...we felt like royalty to just to be mentioned by this man who most would know from TV/Movies. This hobby has been great to me....I've been able to forge relationships that I probably would never have been able to without something like cigars to buffer the first conversation. There is never any judgement as to what one did or does.....it was always about each person sharing their lives while enjoying a great cigar/pipe and from that first day in a Cruise Cigar Lounge it was like a Band of Brothers the rest of the time as we'd acknowledge each other around the ship. My wife is always amazed when somebody would come up to us and start a conversation.....she'd ask..."how do you know him?" After that she always knew....."another cigar buddy, huh?"
There is something almost romantic about that... Oddly enough, there is nothing there that is so "romantic" that you could refute it.

Nicely worded.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost bought a new pipe just to be able to have it tonight. Figured I better stick with what I have for now and make sure I am still into it.
Me too :).

I really want a nose-warmer or a Meerschaum. I note that some have filters now too! I would love one with a filter.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Vodka as a cleaner....spray the cleaner with it and then clean the inside and the alcohol dissipates quickly and acts as a magnet to get all of the loose gunk. Here's a hint for those who have granite counter tops or other types....fill up a spray bottle with cheap Vodka and use it as a cleaner and disinfectant and it works great!! The wife has done this for years and is a stickler for cleanliness and disinfecting....every once in a while I'll catch her spraying some in her mouth just to mess with my head.
I used your vodka "trick" to clean my pipe tonight. Very relaxing. :)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
From what I understand graybows need the filter to work properly. Just the design I guess.
I took the filter out of mine. But I believe it's all personal preference. I have one in my Savenelli pipe. I don't know how true it is or not but apparently the filters take out the flavors. I didn't notice a difference but I could be wrong.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The story:
I bought a pipe and some tobacco, and started on a journey that was quickly quashed as my wife laughed me out of continuing (she finds pipe smoking very uh, pompous.
Pipe smoking is definitely not pompous, much less so than cigar smoking. If you want to make a plebeian statement, get a corn cob pipe! I got a new MM Hobbit cob a few weeks ago, still haven't smoked it, but it does look very nice. I also own several others.

The biggest being I can load a bowl with an eye to time - which is a huge advantage when smoking in the winter.
Get some small pipes- estate pipes are good for this. I like Willard and Kaywoodie. They also make good out-and-about pipes as I don't need to carry pipe cleaners, I just wipe off the metal "stinger" and clean out the pipe every so often at home.

You can use mini Boveda 62 packets with pipe tobacco, it works very well with a larger container to keep the moisture just right. Humidrol clay buttons also work but you need to watch out for mold. For long term storage, mylar bags or mason jars are the way to go, short term - Tupperware pipe tobacco tins, heavy-duty zip-locks, and vinyl tobacco pouches are best.

If you use a filter pipe- I recommend Savinelli balsa filters. They work even in a Grabow pipe. If you smoke a Grabow without a filter, its doable but you'll get an extremely open draw.

What's up with this letting your pipe rest for a "couple" of days? Can I smoke two bowls in the same pipe in one day?
Yes, just make sure your pipe is fairly dry between smokes. I believe resting pipes for days is overrated, it was really an idea spawned by folks that wanted to sell more pipes. But nonetheless, most pipe smokers have a small rotation. Small is all you really need, you don't need dozens of pipes (like I do, but then I'm a collecting fool).

I have some metal pipes like Kirsten and Falcon. They don't really require rest, just maybe occasionally changing out the bowls.

Another thing you'll want are Long's Softy Pipe bits. They are kinder on the vulcanite stems and safer for your teeth when you clench the pipe. They cost about 2 dollars for a few of them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipe smoking is definitely not pompous, much less so than cigar smoking. If you want to make a plebeian statement, get a corn cob pipe! I got a new MM Hobbit cob a few weeks ago, still haven't smoked it, but it does look very nice. I also own several others.

Get some small pipes- estate pipes are good for this. I like Willard and Kaywoodie. They also make good out-and-about pipes as I don't need to carry pipe cleaners, I just wipe off the metal "stinger" and clean out the pipe every so often at home.

You can use mini Boveda 62 packets with pipe tobacco, it works very well with a larger container to keep the moisture just right. Humidrol clay buttons also work but you need to watch out for mold. For long term storage, mylar bags or mason jars are the way to go, short term - Tupperware pipe tobacco tins, heavy-duty zip-locks, and vinyl tobacco pouches are best.

If you use a filter pipe- I recommend Savinelli balsa filters. They work even in a Grabow pipe. If you smoke a Grabow without a filter, its doable but you'll get an extremely open draw.

Yes, just make sure your pipe is fairly dry between smokes. I believe resting pipes for days is overrated, it was really an idea spawned by folks that wanted to sell more pipes. But nonetheless, most pipe smokers have a small rotation. Small is all you really need, you don't need dozens of pipes (like I do, but then I'm a collecting fool).

I have some metal pipes like Kirsten and Falcon. They don't really require rest, just maybe occasionally changing out the bowls.

Another thing you'll want are Long's Softy Pipe bits. They are kinder on the vulcanite stems and safer for your teeth when you clench the pipe. They cost about 2 dollars for a few of them.
Great post and thank you. I think you might be reading my mail lol.

I mean I really wanted to get a Meerschaum pipe, and get in on this action "Meerschaum March Madness" - http://www.botl.org/threads/meerschaum-march-madness.78918/
I think that would be great fun, and were I to smoke one pipe for a whole month, I am guessing I will be re-baptized into the sport :).

Alas... the wood speaks to me. And as you stated, I should get small pipes as I intend to smoke them for shorter periods of time. Hence, I have this puppy in my cart waiting for payday:

You recommended a Savinelli with the balsa - well this is a Savinelli with the 6mm filter. :)

Plus, I got some of those soft tips with my tobacco order. I think I'll like those too.

Again, thanks for the info. I can't get into a corn cob right now - maybe later :). In the mean time. We'll see how everything pans out this weekend when I get my tobacco in. Looking forward to it!!