What's new

Pipe Restoration - Do's and Don'ts.........

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Out of curiosity, what would you do differently? I'm still trying to up my restore game!
I don't feel I spent enough time with the lower grit pads on the stem. I need a better light on my bench in order to see the small hints of brown I left behind. It came away with a very nice deep black shine except for a couple spots where it has a very nice deep brownish black shine lol.

Secondly I need to figure something out to blend in fills. This pipe had a few (is was about 5 bucks on the bay so....) that I would have liked to hide better.

(Both these pics were pre wax)

Other than that I am pretty happy. The olive oil and wax over the original stain really brought the grain out and gave it a nice shine. I also waxed the stem with carnauba and it shines better than some pipes that are new.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I've not found anything that can effectively hide those fills except pure black.

My main issue as well is that I don't spend enough time with the lower grits on the stem.

But I'm definitely going to try the olive oil on the bowl before waxing next time.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I've not found anything that can effectively hide those fills except pure black.

My main issue as well is that I don't spend enough time with the lower grits on the stem.

But I'm definitely going to try the olive oil on the bowl before waxing next time.
I just used about 5 drops or so and rubbed it in with my fingers. Wiped of the excess. I think it did a great job of bringing out the grain

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Dave I hope you don't mind me cluttering up you thread.

Next project

A citation straight bulldog. Me pics pre ream but there was a hell of a cake on this one

quite a few finish blemishes and some dents and scratches on the bottom. Only one small fill. The rim needs some attention. The stem is crooked as heck but not as oxidized as the last one I took on.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Made some progress this afternoon

Topped and wax removed with 400 and 600 grit sand paper.

Dents and scratches removed. Scrubbed with alcohol and a cotton rag to remove and even out as much of the original stain as possible.

Straightened stem.

The bowl is drilled of center in this pipe. While I'm sure it won't affect the smokeability it bugs me. Not sure if a $10 pipe is worth retooling that heavily :)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
find out how she smokes first.

also, before you go nots, think about leaving her nude. it isn't a bad grain pattern, and the act of slowly coloring it in as it smokes and is handled makes it more "yours" in the long run.
I will give it a smoke before altering for sure. I like the lighter color. I like that idea I think I'll buff the wood up well and leave it.

I destingered the stem and smelled it. This pipe was used for cherry aros lol.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I go through a lot of olive oil at my house so it never stays around long enough to go rancid - so that never even occurred to me. Thanks for pointing that out.

Of course, then I remembered that I bought the Danish oil for the exact same purpose.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
...This pipe was used for cherry aros lol.
condolences. one of my first estates was a sav roma prince, acrylic stem, which REEKED of the stuff. took a LOT of cleaning, and a LOT of smoking, to get the guy stable, and now it is a champ on full english blends. still, in my mind, that pipe is named "dead guy cherry".

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
condolences. one of my first estates was a sav roma prince, acrylic stem, which REEKED of the stuff. took a LOT of cleaning, and a LOT of smoking, to get the guy stable, and now it is a champ on full english blends. still, in my mind, that pipe is named "dead guy cherry".
Lmao yeah this one reeks pretty good

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
That would be a pretty good April Fool's joke - take a cheap pipe, burn three to four bowls of a cherry aro (or get some of those really fruity flavored hookah tobaccos) over a two month period and then gift it to a brother. LOL