What's new

Pipe story and other do's and don't s

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Been about two weeks since I've bumped this with a question, but, back to storage, my wife has been complaining about the odor of the pipe tobacco. I've finally convinced her to buy me some mason jars, I'm curious though, is temperature as important to pipe baccy as it is with cigars? I live on Texas and the summer heat wrecks havoc on my electric bill, so, temperature fluctuations are rampant at my house, lows around 73, highs around 80. If temperature isn't that important with pipe baccy, I'm thinking of moving it out to the garage (no AC) in the mason jars. Any concerns I might have?
I've asked on other forums about tobacco beetles in pipe baccy, altho rare it does happen. The heat pressing kills most. But it does happen.

But that wouldn't be my concern. My concern would be mold. Once you add heat to moist baccy u risk mold. Definitely sterilize ur jars. Baccy suppose to be kept in cool dry place out of sunlight. Maybe pick up pleasant smelling aros and leave open to mask smells of the rest of baccy?

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Been about two weeks since I've bumped this with a question, but, back to storage, my wife has been complaining about the odor of the pipe tobacco. I've finally convinced her to buy me some mason jars, I'm curious though, is temperature as important to pipe baccy as it is with cigars? I live on Texas and the summer heat wrecks havoc on my electric bill, so, temperature fluctuations are rampant at my house, lows around 73, highs around 80. If temperature isn't that important with pipe baccy, I'm thinking of moving it out to the garage (no AC) in the mason jars. Any concerns I might have?
I've asked on other forums about tobacco beetles in pipe baccy, altho rare it does happen. The heat pressing kills most. But it does happen.

But that wouldn't be my concern. My concern would be mold. Once you add heat to moist baccy u risk mold. Definitely sterilize ur jars. Baccy suppose to be kept in cool dry place out of sunlight. Maybe pick up pleasant smelling aros and leave open to mask smells of the rest of baccy?
Only time I've seen it happen was when they stored it with bad cigars and they got in unsealed tins.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Okay, finally got everything transferred over to sterilized jars, then into it's resting place.

Not sure if I want to say this, since it will probably come back to haunt me, but, alas, I feel the need to disclose that I have quite a few empty jars so *I* can expand at *MY* leisure, in addition to the ability to add a second row, plus move to the shelf below it. Again, I MUST reiterate, this is so I can expand at my leisure.

I will find the show off your pipe tobacco thread and post this there as well.

Spanky, I will expand to the piss jar shortly...

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Seriously, let's chat. I have several full tins I'll never finish. I would have bought half tins if they existed.

Send me a PM, or I may have to pursue more nefarious means.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I checked it out. That looks dangerous to me. Unless I'm misreading the rules, it seems like you can be compelled to post your own wishlist and be retaliated against. The whole point is I have too much already and haven't had the time to try it all.

Now, if one of you finds a way to bomb extra time in the day, I'd sign up for that. ;)

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That seems unlikely!

Were there any that were duplicates of what you already had? Just curious, as most of those are pretty common, I think.