What's new

Pipe story and other do's and don't s

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Thought I might need to share my pipe mudding experience.

Had the available time to address this issue, plus a plethora of ash to pull from. I went to grab a glass bowl from the kitchen when I was quickly chastised for the bowl I chose. So, I grabbed the one I was allowed to use. I had just finished smoking a San Lotano Churchill and thought that would be enough. I put, what I thought to be a small amount of DW into the bowl along with the ash and started stirring. Boy was I wrong. I went to my ash can and started pulling out nubs and shook more ash into the bowl.

After getting what I thought was the proper consistency, I started to pack it into the bottom of the bowl. Reading several different procedures online, I decided not to use the honey.

Regardless, poked around with a matchstick, I coated the bottom of the bowl with the mud. I then remembered that I needed to put a PC in to keep from blocking the draft hole. Luckily, I was able to push it through, hopefully, I won't limit the draw on it. I then took the pipe, and noticed the hole on the bottom of the pipe. I reverted back to my composite days and packed the hole with mud, smoothed it and tapped dry ash onto the bottom. I also placed a bit of ash into the bowl, put my finger on it, shook it like it owed me money then dumped the excess out.

Now, the waiting game. I have heard two different drying times, one of 24 to 48 hours and the other a week. Seeing as I have no clue of what I'm doing, I am going to let it sit in the Texas heat for a week. I'll let you know next week if I screwed the pooch on this.

Thank you all for bearing with my stupidity...

Oh, as a side note, I used grrrr's "sneeze through the pipe" method of clearing the draft hole of any debris, however, since I didn't need to sneeze, I had to modify it a bit and just blew through it.

Hopefully, it works.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Okay, one thing I didn't see mentioned here. At least so far, is storage. I'm sure that you want to keep all tobaccos separated from each other, but, are plastic baggies an acceptable method of storage? Should I venture out to canning or baby food jars?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Okay, one thing I didn't see mentioned here. At least so far, is storage. I'm sure that you want to keep all tobaccos separated from each other, but, are plastic baggies an acceptable method of storage? Should I venture out to canning or baby food jars?
There was a thread where people posted their "cellars". I keep baggies with samples in my old tupperdore, stack unopened tins, and jars for opened tins or things I have more of

This is mine. Very very tiny compared to some of these guy's though

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
There was a thread where people posted their "cellars". I keep baggies with samples in my old tupperdore, stack unopened tins, and jars for opened tins or things I have more of

This is mine. Very very tiny compared to some of these guy's though
That's right! I forgot about you keeping the jar of clean urine. 😉

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
honestly, i have three snap-n-lock containers for samples; lat-heavy, VA-forward, and aro-ish. keeping baggies in these suffice well, as i have year old samples i haven't yet gotten to, but with a boveda in the container you should be solid. anything less that 2oz, i am NOT jarring.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
honestly, i have three snap-n-lock containers for samples; lat-heavy, VA-forward, and aro-ish. keeping baggies in these suffice well, as i have year old samples i haven't yet gotten to, but with a boveda in the container you should be solid. anything less that 2oz, i am NOT jarring.
Thanks! This is exactly what I'm looking for. In combination with Spanky's urine jar picture, I think I have enough info...

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Here's another tip for the other pipe n00bs. You never know when your piping stuff can come in handy even if u plan on only smoking cigars.

Pipe stand

Pipe tool (Czech tool to be exact)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
The Czech tool as a nubber was a complete revelation to me.
Was just talking about seeking out a nice nubber for the arsenal while having a cigar last weekend, not realizing my pipe pack was right next to me with a perfectly good nubber hiding in plain sight!

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Dont tap ash out of your cob using the bottom of your sreview mirror while doing 70mph, and certainly dont drop the pipe while doing so......

At least it was a cheap cob.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
^This made me LOL. I am glad I added a cob to my PS Navy Flake order I made yesterday. It will be my first cob so I'm anxious to see the difference between that and briar.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Dont tap ash out of your cob using the bottom of your sreview mirror while doing 70mph, and certainly dont drop the pipe while doing so......

Ouch. I'm guessing that, for just a fleeting moment, you actually considered slamming on the brake to go back and retrieve it?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0

i was actually almost going to do this this morning. with an old and dear to me estate DrG. and then i came to my senses and just used my pipe nail and car stinky.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0

i was actually almost going to do this this morning. with an old and dear to me estate DrG. and then i came to my senses and just used my pipe nail and car stinky.
Pipe nail and car stinky?