What's new

Pipe story and other do's and don't s

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Dont tap ash out of your cob using the bottom of your sreview mirror while doing 70mph, and certainly dont drop the pipe while doing so......

At least it was a cheap cob.
Ouch. I'm guessing that, for just a fleeting moment, you actually considered slamming on the brake to go back and retrieve it?
Nah, I have an aversion to brakes especially at highway speed. It was just a "oh shit" moment then I realized it was only $6 and I have another anyway.

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Just a tip for the commuter pipe smoke. I took a xikar ashcan. I prefer the screw on lids ons. Remove the spring. Take a cork knocker and stick it to the lid.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Next noob questions here. I've seen a lot of posting about leaving baccy out overnight, is it left loose, packed in the bowl, or in the container when it is left out? When it is dryer, does it make it more difficult to pack? Does it affect the flavors any?

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Next noob questions here. I've seen a lot of posting about leaving baccy out overnight, is it left loose, packed in the bowl, or in the container when it is left out? When it is dryer, does it make it more difficult to pack? Does it affect the flavors any?
Yes.

That's pretty much the answer to all the above. yes its left out. yes its packed in the bowl overnight. yes it left in container. yes it changes the packing. yes it can change the flavor. (slightly).

That's kinda the great thing about pipes and pipe tobacco. do what you want. There is a guy here that microwaves his baccy.

for me it depends on the blend. Some I pack and smoke. Some I rub out to dry. etc.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Yes.

That's pretty much the answer to all the above. yes its left out. yes its packed in the bowl overnight. yes it left in container. yes it changes the packing. yes it can change the flavor. (slightly).

That's kinda the great thing about pipes and pipe tobacco. do what you want. There is a guy here that microwaves his baccy.

for me it depends on the blend. Some I pack and smoke. Some I rub out to dry. etc.
So, bottom line, yes?

Awesome!!!

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Yes.

So, bottom line, yes?

Awesome!!!

Thanks!
When I smoke my pur semois, it's a very dry blend, or my C&D cigar leaf, i don't dry but I have to pack it extremely tight. When I smoke Penzance or Stonehaven I have to give it a minimum 45 minute drying time or i can't keep it lit. now when I smoke Pelican, even tho its a flake too like penzance, i can rub it out and pack it and smoke right away altho packing and let it sit in the bowl helps. When I smoke coyote or black house I pack and smoke right away altho drying doesn't hurt it. Now night cap I prefer not to dry at all. and i won't smoke it if it's dry. I just toss it in my potpurri jar.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
just to add to this, i have left some tobaccos out overnight, loose. i have a plastic cutting board, cut into quarters, that fits my pipe pack, and use that for cutting tobaccor, or setting problematic blends aside. some times, a LONG drying period doesn't hurt.

also, with what the guys are saying about pre-loading the bowl, that LEDs into the DGT, or "delayed dratification technique". pack and do a charring light and tamp, then walk away. the briar and preexistingcake will dry it out, and you go straight into favor town. o)

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Been about two weeks since I've bumped this with a question, but, back to storage, my wife has been complaining about the odor of the pipe tobacco. I've finally convinced her to buy me some mason jars, I'm curious though, is temperature as important to pipe baccy as it is with cigars? I live on Texas and the summer heat wrecks havoc on my electric bill, so, temperature fluctuations are rampant at my house, lows around 73, highs around 80. If temperature isn't that important with pipe baccy, I'm thinking of moving it out to the garage (no AC) in the mason jars. Any concerns I might have?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I think it'd be fine. I kept maybe an ounce of a few different blends in the trunk of my car in a box for my lunch time smoke, and I couldn't taste anything different. Just obviously dried out more since it was in bags not jars

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
while i wouldn't let it bake, i beleive most pipe tobacco, even the very "natural" stuff, is cased in some way as part of the curing and processing procedure. casing is soaking the leaf in a solution (sometimes with a flavoring or aromatic, but most times with a sugar), to make it work in it's final form. near as i can tell, this makes pipe tobacoo a LOT more of a hostile environ that cigar tobacco for those damn bugs.

that said, i might worry about the seals on some of your packaging failing in that heat. but i'm paranoid...

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Do not pack all of your favorite pipes in one back pack to carry around or you might lose it. Thank God for good friends.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
while i wouldn't let it bake, i beleive most pipe tobacco, even the very "natural" stuff, is cased in some way as part of the curing and processing procedure. casing is soaking the leaf in a solution (sometimes with a flavoring or aromatic, but most times with a sugar), to make it work in it's final form. near as i can tell, this makes pipe tobacoo a LOT more of a hostile environ that cigar tobacco for those damn bugs.

that said, i might worry about the seals on some of your packaging failing in that heat. but i'm paranoid...
Texas heat bakes pretty much any and everything. Temps in the garage have made it to 130. Thus, causing me to question that decision.

With the baccy in jars, would I still get the odor?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0

Texas heat bakes pretty much any and everything. Temps in the garage have made it to 130. Thus, causing me to question that decision.

With the baccy in jars, would I still get the odor?
Not really. Go to wal mart and buy some now, and baccy to fill them all

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Maybe just try it out. I don't think the storing of jars should give you so much of a smell as the storing of your pipes. Maybe leave the jars in the house (I use an old CD/DVD rack with the shelves set to stack jars two high, plus it's the perfect depth for tins) and keep your pipe rack and prep area in the garage, only bringing out a jar our two at a time of what you're currently smoking.
Worth a shot? Maybe?

Last edited:

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I have a built in hutch in the dining room. My wife uses the top bits, I have relegated two of the bottom sections, one to store cigars, the other to store pipe baccy. I took out the drawers for the cigars, and left them in for pipe baccy. I'll take a picture as soon as I get back home. I'll put the freshly purchased mason jars in there to show it off.

Also, for the most part, I usually smoke on my "daily constitutional" walk to pick up the youngster. Sometimes, I'll smoke in the garage. It'll be case of "pick baccy, open jar, pack pipe, close jar"

Hopefully, that will keep the wife happy, or at least less miserable