What's new

Post your blade(s)?! I am interested in knowing what is everybody's EDC.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Thank you :thumbsup:
It's quite common for people to fly in from all over the US for their courses, especially if you do the level 1+2 knife courses back-to-back over 3 days. Bring some soft shinguards for your forearms or they will end up black from blocking so many strikes (at the bone, not the blade of course).

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to bring some if I can get out there. Ironically shortly after I posted that, there was a robbery near campus where the suspect pulled a knife of his own.
Time to start reconsidering my EDC and training.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Anybody in here interested in helping me pick out my carry knife? This will be intended for SD only, I already have EDC knives for day-to-day tasks.

Has to be under 4" is the only major concern. Technically, I should be looking for a folder... but I'm certainly open to fixed blades. In fact, my current front runner is an ESEE 3. Since I don't know blades that well, not sure which configuration of that knife - but I was looking at this one: http://www.knifeworks.com/ratcutleryrc-3pplainedgewsheathsystemmodifiedpommel.aspx

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
if you have no knife training, then just get the biggest that you can carry. Big blades will be intimidating. On a folding knife, I like the big Spyderco Military because of the thumb hole opening. Emersons are good too. Their wave opening takes some practice, but opens as fast as a switchblade if you practice a lot. My favorite knife is the Emerson Karambit, but that takes some studying to learn the techniques behind using it for self defense.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I'll take a look at the Military, thanks. I love the Emersons, but price is a pretty big factor and they're pricey.

I will certainly be getting some training, but as of now - I have none. I'm hoping to take a couple classes in the relatively near future.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I'll take a look at the Military, thanks. I love the Emersons, but price is a pretty big factor and they're pricey.

I will certainly be getting some training, but as of now - I have none. I'm hoping to take a couple classes in the relatively near future.
You might get more advice if you start a new thread. Your budget and laws in your state will determine what the best option for ya is. For something that is a solid knife and wont mind leaving buried inside a bad guy you could go with this

SOG Field Pup

For a folder a good choice would be Cold Steel Voyager

own both these knifes, your biggest drawback is going to be the weight. It's the only reason i don't carry them daily anymore. The great thing is how affordable they are. So its a give and take, all depends on your budget.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Good idea. I'll ask the mods to clean up my posts in this thread.

And that SOG looks like a good option too.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
And that SOG looks like a good option too.
SOG's are WONDERFUL knifes. I personally love the two I have and plan to buy many more. The knife in the bottom of the pic is called the Twitch XL Tanto with black TiNi coating. The knife is spring assist and the blade shoots out super fast with a very intimidating click sound if you open fast. Me and my dad both carry these in sketchy towns. I would highly recommend taking a peak at these knifes as well and they are pretty affordable for the quality knife you are getting.

Fun fact, that engraving is my last name that David Ditto of SOG hand engraved for me. Great guy.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
If price is also your worry then I say Spyderco all the way. You can find quite a few well priced spyderco knives that would work.

I had a SOG folder and I loved it at first, then about a year later it fell apart on me. I wouldn't buy another SOG unless it was a fixed blade.

If you can find them and get around the price Emersons are the best. I carry mine everywhere and use it for a lot of things. They are top knotch.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Just broke my normal carry now I need to pick a new one. Last was a carbon fiber spyderco sage. I am very hard on my knives and use them for everything is why I broke it. I know it was my fault but a good excuse for a steel upgrade. 2 choice for new one are benchmade bone collector or spyderco paramilitary d2.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Just got my goodies from Woot today.

The compound is really meh. There is a little play in the blade, and the handle doesn't feel very comfortable in my hand. The Asset is quite nice, no complaints about it for the price. The Drone is also quite nice, though it takes a bit more force to open/close than the others.
All in all, for paying 12 bucks a piece... I'm quite happy.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Just got my goodies from Woot today.

The compound is really meh. There is a little play in the blade, and the handle doesn't feel very comfortable in my hand. The Asset is quite nice, no complaints about it for the price. The Drone is also quite nice, though it takes a bit more force to open/close than the others.
All in all, for paying 12 bucks a piece... I'm quite happy.
I like the knife in the middle, at least from an aesthetic standpoint. What is the brand/where did you get them? For 12 bucks...