What's new

Post your shave of the day here

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I'm looking at the Edwin Jagger De89lbl - $32 on Amazon

Thoughts? I originally had a Parker on my wish list but I had read too many reviews about inconsistent quality with them.
I'm new to this as you know, but I've done a fair amount of research on this topic and the following modern razors are generally considered best for beginners. (well balanced & not overly aggressive)

Merkur HD (also known as 34C and 178)
Edwin Jagger DE89
Mugle R106

Side note - All of the Edwin Jagger DE8* razors utilize the same head it's just the handle that varies.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I have the Edwin Jagger De89lbl sitting in my Amazon wish list. When I pull the trigger, that will be the one I get
I have an Edwin Jagger DE89 and it's an excellent razor

Great price as well

This DE89 and my Merkur 1904 are my favorite razors to shave with

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso green pre shave
Cream: Queen Charlotte's Queen charlotte signature scent
Brush: Semogue 2012 Owners Club special edition
Razor: Gillette 1959 Superspeed
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Cologne: Azzaro

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Because I only operate in two modes (0% and 120%) I picked up some more goodies today and I haven't even tried Wet Shaving yet.

Should make for a good starter kit to see if you like wet shaving. Van Der Hagen is the most common shave products you see at the stores.

Let us know what you think of it, when you give it a try.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Did a speed shave this morning

Cream: Tabac
Brush: Semogue Owners Club
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE 89 barley handle
Blade: Astra Superior platinum (think this with my 4th or 5th shave on this blade, Probably it last too)
Aftershave: Skin Bracer
Lotion: Everyman Jack signature mint
Cologne: Pino Silvestre

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Pre: Proraso green pre shave
Cream: Queen Charlottes Queen Charlotte signature scent
Brush: Semogue Owners Club SE 2012
Razor: Markur 1904
Blade: Feather
Cologne: Pinaud Clubman
Cologne: Azzaro

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
First shave with the DE today! No nicks, scratches, or burn. Should have taken pictures...

Cleanser: Aveda Facial Scrub
Pre-shave oil: Rdomfoto Oil #5 (name courtesy of dcsl)
Cream: Proraso Sandlewood cream
Brush: Summer badger hair brush
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89lbl with chrome handle
Blade: Derby
After shave balm: L'Oreal Men's Expert Shaving Balm
Cologne: Curves for Men

The shave was not as smooth as I get with the cartridge Gillette razor but it was my first time using it and I was more concerned about not slicing my face to ribbons. But it was a lot smoother than I anticipated! I did a second pass with a lighter layer of shaving cream and I was quite surprised at how easily the razor glided over my skin.

As I get more comfortable with the razor, I know I'll get an even closer shave.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Looks like a good set up. Been hearing that the Proraso Sandalwood has a really nice scent, but haven't tried it.

You will definatly get better shaves with more experience. Also when you do another pass or 2.

I usually do 3 passes and some touch up's

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Looks like a good set up. Been hearing that the Proraso Sandalwood has a really nice scent, but haven't tried it.

You will definatly get better shaves with more experience. Also when you do another pass or 2.

I usually do 3 passes and some touch up's
The scent is really subtle, which I like. And the lather that stuff whips up is nice and thick.

Shaved again with the same products and equipment this morning. The difference was I re-lathered after the first pass again and, for the second pass, went against the grain.

Much smoother! I still have to practice and get better, but I am already really liking the safety razor results. No nicks or irritation but I can see where it's critical that you keep your face wet and lubricated.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have shaved 4 times now since getting my set up last week. Only one shave was bad and I think it was my shower prep cause I had a cooler shower then normal as I came back from the gym.

Right now I am using the same set up each time as I become comfortable I will try new soaps and cremes.

Now a little side question pre shave oil? Should I use it and if I do, do I leave it on and lather over it or do I wash my face with hot water then lather. There are so many things and changes so I am excited.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
…Now a little side question pre shave oil? Should I use it and if I do, do I leave it on and lather over it or do I wash my face with hot water then lather. There are so many things and changes so I am excited.
I use it. Some people swear by it, some people really dislike using it, and some people don't have a strong opinion either way.

With my skin, I find it helps keep my face lubricated and I've been using it for a few years now. When I don't use it, I get some irritation. But that was with a cartridge-based razor. I don't know if I still "need" it with the safety razor but I like the results and I've been using it for so long I'll keep using it because I am used to it.

Put a few drops on your hand, apply it to your face (after wetting your face or right after getting out of the shower), and then lather right over top of it. As you shave, the shaving cream will take the oil away and you'll have nice smooth skin.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Oh alright that makes sense then. I know ppl have been talking about making their own.

Any good brands or types I should be looking at. I know it's a newb question I just ask salty to get as much info.

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
I wash my face well, then apply ~5 drops of shave oil and rub in well. Then shave cream.

Shave secret is decent (walmart) but $ for the amount; I like using Tea Tree Oil. Also found at Walmart in the 'ethnic' hair care area, it's only about $2 for several ounces. Remember, just a few drops goes a long way!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Oh alright that makes sense then. I know ppl have been talking about making their own.

Any good brands or types I should be looking at. I know it's a newb question I just ask salty to get as much info.
I'm one of the "make your own" guys. After bitching about paying $22 for a 2 ounce bottle, I looked it up online and bought the ingredients.

3 parts castor oil
1 part extra virgin olive oil (they get that from the extra-ugly olives)
Your preferred essential oils.

Last batch I made, I used a cup of castor oil, 1/3 cup olive oil, and about a 1/4 teaspoon each of cedarwood oil and jasmine oil. Its scent goes nicely with the sandlewood shaving cream I use.

You can definitely make it a lot cheaper and the recipe I just listed is purportedly the same recipe that Art of Shaving uses. Since I know that I use pre-shave oil, I bought a large jar (32 ounce) of castor oil for $15 on Amazon. Considering you add 1/3 more in the olive oil, that gets you around 44 ounces for $15 (I already had the olive oil so I didn't count that in the cost). Plus another $6 or $7 for the essential oil, total of $22 for 44 ounces, or 50¢ per ounce instead of AoS' $11 per ounce.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Essential oils are highly concentrated fragrances from a variety of plants and other botannicals. They're expensive but a little goes a very long way and, unless you're seriously into aromatherapy, you won't use a bottle up anytime soon.

I also get them on Amazon. These oils are where you want to spend more money, not less. So, a 1½ oz bottle could cost $9 or $10 (or more, depending on the botannical) but are much better than cheap $2 knock-offs