What's new

Post your shave of the day here

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Well, I've been meaning to for a loooong time but never got around to it...until you guys forced my hand with this thread..lol

I've had my Grandfather's (on my Father's side) Solingen straight razor for about 7 years. My father gave it to me (never met my Grandfather)

Well today I busted it out and gave it a go with some Gillette foam... This razor was in no condition for a shave but that's how I roll...it was a special experience. I'm going to have it brought back to a shaveable edge if I can.

Thank you for posting this topic....it's been a long time coming.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Well, I've been meaning to for a loooong time but never got around to it...until you guys forced my hand with this thread..lol

I've had my Grandfather's (on my Father's side) Solingen straight razor for about 7 years. My father gave it to me (never met my Grandfather)

Well today I busted it out and gave it a go with some Gillette foam... This razor was in no condition for a shave but that's how I roll...it was a special experience. I'm going to have it brought back to a shaveable edge if I can.

Thats awsome that you got your Grandfathers straight razor. Not sure what my Grandfather or Greatgrandfather shaved with? If it was a double edge or a straight, I sure would like to have inherited though. I bet it brings out good memories of your grandfather everytime you see that razor.

I'm sure you will be able to get a shaveable edge back on it. Hopefully you can get it done locally.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hot sauce how often do you shave. Just a question of curiosity cause I know your experienced at this.
I usually shave 3-4 times a week as my facial hair doesn't grow fast enough to shave everyday.
Oh ok that makes sense. I am in the same boat. I shave about every other day. I've found it's helped the skin get used to it and has also helped my technique, which I am sure we all have very different techniques.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0

Thats awsome that you got your Grandfathers straight razor. Not sure what my Grandfather or Greatgrandfather shaved with? If it was a double edge or a straight, I sure would like to have inherited though. I bet it brings out good memories of your grandfather everytime you see that razor.

I'm sure you will be able to get a shaveable edge back on it. Hopefully you can get it done locally.
One of the J.A henckels facilities is near my house. Thats a pretty awesome razor

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Alright gentlemen I have created 2 different pre-shaves.
Both have the same formula 50ml castor oil
16ml extra virgin olive oil
Then one has 5 drops of lavender scent(personal favourite scent) and the other is 5 drops of eucalyptus.

Going to try it out soon enough cannot wait. So put on and leave on the lather over top.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
does anyone shave different areas more/less often? reason being, i shaved completely friday, then again today. for my face, it made for a very nice smooth result, but not so much on my neck. Had a lot of weepers and irritation.

I should probably leave it another day between shaves, but I so enjoy the ritual...

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
does anyone shave different areas more/less often? reason being, i shaved completely friday, then again today. for my face, it made for a very nice smooth result, but not so much on my neck. Had a lot of weepers and irritation.

I should probably leave it another day between shaves, but I so enjoy the ritual...
Well when I have my neck I go with the grain and then shave twice against. I have found that works best also I pull on my skin to get a close shave.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Here is my shaving ritual

1st pass with the grain

2nd pass across the grain

3rd pass against the grain

Touch up's

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I just finished shaving and thought I would post up. (Sorry hot_sauce stealing your format.)
Prep: Hot Shower
Pre: Jmartins Mix (Lavender)
Brush: Omega Professional Boar Brush (10098-M)
Cream: the Strop Shoppe Special Edition lemon-eucalyptus.
Razor: Merkur MK-33 chrome
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I just finished shaving and thought I would post up. (Sorry hot_sauce stealing your format.)
Prep: Hot Shower
Pre: Jmartins Mix (Lavender)
Brush: Omega Professional Boar Brush (10098-M)
Cream: the Strop Shoppe Special Edition lemon-eucalyptus.
Razor: Merkur MK-33 chrome
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless
And!?!?

How'd it go?

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
It actually went very very well real smooth shave and I only had one nick but that was because I put a new blade on also. Changed to variables so hopefully next shave will be even better and nick free.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0

I'm hoping so..I've got a few places in mind to inquire.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0

Well when I have my neck I go with the grain and then shave twice against. I have found that works best also I pull on my skin to get a close shave.
I pull down on my neck to make the skin tight as well. It makes for less irritation after the shave for me.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Prep: Alba Botanica Pineapple Enzyme Facial Cleanser
Pre-shave: Cedarwood and Jasmine oil
Cream: Proraso Sandlewood cream
Brush: Summer badger hair brush
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89lbl with chrome handle
Blade: Derby
After shave balm: L'Oreal Men's Expert Shaving Balm
Post-shave:1 minute or so admiring the smooth shave!

Here's a craptastic pic of the setup:

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Prep: Aveda Kinetics Botanical Facial Cleanser
Pre-shave: Cedarwood and Jasmine oil
Cream: Proraso Sandlewood cream
Brush: Summer badger hair brush
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89lbl with chrome handle
Blade: Derby
After shave: Clubman Pinaud After Shave Tonic (for that old school barber shop scent)