Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
En route as we speak...

Parker 96R Shave set...
View attachment 79549

2 x Shaver Heaven Barber shop creams
View attachment 79551

Art of shaving sandal wood pre-shave oil.
View attachment 79553

Time to see what its all about..

Any tips for blades?
If you can get a blade sampler online, I would suggest that. For me, I use Gillette 7 oclock Black blades. I got i think 80 or 90 of them on Amazon for about $12-14. I get 4-5 great shaves out of them than I pitch them. I have tried feather and Kai blades as well. Feather never worked for me, Kai were the best until the 3rd shave, than I would get SERIOUS razor burn. Just experiment with different blades until you find a consistent one.

btw, great beginner set up!

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
If you can get a blade sampler online, I would suggest that. For me, I use Gillette 7 oclock Black blades. I got i think 80 or 90 of them on Amazon for about $12-14. I get 4-5 great shaves out of them than I pitch them. I have tried feather and Kai blades as well. Feather never worked for me, Kai were the best until the 3rd shave, than I would get SERIOUS razor burn. Just experiment with different blades until you find a consistent one.

btw, great beginner set up!
Thanks mate! I'll give it a try.... and done!
45 blade sampler:

It was just reading through these threads that made my mind up on what to choose! All the good info is appreciated!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Razor - Gillette black beauty
Blade - Feather
Soap - Stirling Ozark
Brush - Whipped Dog silvertip
A/S - Floid Blue

Been doing this safety razor thing since 2013 but always kept a beard so i was only shaving the bottom half of my neck every other day. I finally shaved it off a few months ago and am loving how my face feels again!

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Razor - Gillette black beauty
Blade - Feather
Soap - Stirling Ozark
Brush - Whipped Dog silvertip
A/S - Floid Blue

Been doing this safety razor thing since 2013 but always kept a beard so i was only shaving the bottom half of my neck every other day. I finally shaved it off a few months ago and am loving how my face feels again!
LOVE Stirling Ozark Mountain! Have you had any shedding problems with the Whipped Dog silvertip?

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
It's my favorite soap!

Yep, I have. It's gotten a lot better now after like a year of owning it, but it shed one or two hairs every shave for a year or so...
I used his knots in my first 3 brushes, and since learning about the shedding problems I switched over to TheGoldenNib knots in all my brushes. Not a single shedder out of the 30-40 I have done. If WD knots didn't shed, they would be the best bargain out there.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I used his knots in my first 3 brushes, and since learning about the shedding problems I switched over to TheGoldenNib knots in all my brushes. Not a single shedder out of the 30-40 I have done. If WD knots didn't shed, they would be the best bargain out there.
Yep you're right about that! GoldenNib huh? I may have to look into that!

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Yep you're right about that! GoldenNib huh? I may have to look into that!
I would HIGHLY recommend their 2band Finest knot. IMO, its the best value knot period. Just get yourself a handle from WD or have someone make you one (or if you're handy make yourself one) and set one of them in it. Amazing quality. I have a 24mm Finest at about 50mm loft, probably could go down to 48mm and it would be perfect.

http://www.thegoldennib.com/wet-shaving/badger-hair-knots/finest-badger-knots.html

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would HIGHLY recommend their 2band Finest knot. IMO, its the best value knot period. Just get yourself a handle from WD or have someone make you one (or if you're handy make yourself one) and set one of them in it. Amazing quality. I have a 24mm Finest at about 50mm loft, probably could go down to 48mm and it would be perfect.

http://www.thegoldennib.com/wet-shaving/badger-hair-knots/finest-badger-knots.html
Thanks for the advice!

Hmmm, I've never made a brush, how do you put the knot in? Do I need a special kind of glue?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you have any questions regarding making your own, please don't hesitate to ask!
No tools or space to work in this apt, I'll probably buy a handle from WD and a knot from GoldenNib. I've been meaning to get a second brush for a while now, thanks for inspiring me to put together my own!

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
HOLY CRAP MY FACE FEELS AMAZEBALLS!! Haha

This arrived today so I had my first wet shave and wow it really is a lot more enjoyable!
Need to work on my lather, do you just scrape a bit of cream out with your finger and put it in the bowl? I put a blob of Shaver Heaven Barber Shop Scent cram about the size of my pinky nail In and it took a long ass time to dissolve. Had the best badger brush soaking in warm water in the basin and ringed it out a bit. Maybe I need a thinner bit of soap?

But I tell you what, the razor cuts amazingly and effortlessly and the feeling and smell after is worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
@The Munt if that's soap dribble some hot water directly on it while you brush your teeth or whatever. Take hot, well-soaked brush and load it directly on the soap- lather on face or in lather bowl.