What's new

Post your shave of the day here

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, my first "SOTD" as a newbie. Be gentile.

Brush: SheaMoisture Badger
Razor: Merkur HD
Blade: unknown local grocery store brand (got confused and thought I was grabbing a Personna to try...grrr)
Cream: AOS unscented
Pre-shave: AOS Lavender
Post-shave: Kiehl's balm
And liberal use of a CVS Styptic Pencil

Shave was, for all intents and purposes, a bloodletting. This is my first full week wetshaving with a DE, and up until today I've used this same setup with a Derby blade. I've had a couple of minor nicks, but nothing like what I had today. Didn't feel a pull or a tug, but man it did some damage. Was using no pressure that I could detect. Had to stop partway through my second pass, as the shave had really ceased to be enjoyable.

I am wondering, though, if I'm not ultimately the cause due to using too much "product" on my face now. With the addition of the Kiehl's, I'm now putting a couple of creams on after my shave (also have to wear sunscreen every day due to skin cancer). I wonder if I'm not causing some bumps due to clogged pores that set me up for today's torture.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Well I took the big step, (Finally got pissed off about paying Big Bucks for blades) Have been DE shaving for about three weeks, all has gone well, no major blood yet, I must say I do find it enjoyable , but I'm not in a rush any more to get out the door....

Pre-shave: Proraso Refresh Pre/Post Shaving Cream
Cream: Proraso Shaving soap (Eucalyptus & Menthol)
Brush: Black Badger Brush
Razor: Parker 96A, Long Handle
Blade: Shark
After shave tonic: Captains Choice Artisan Bay Rum Aftershave

Last edited:

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Nice to see more converts coming over to the dark side :)

Had my first shave today with the Nivea Shave Cream my wife picked up from Walmart for under $5 -- just blown away by the quality of their products, especially in relation to the price they charge.

I'd say the lather was as good or better than the AoS creams I have tried thus far (lavender and sandalwood). Allowed me to get a super close shave and 11hrs later my '5 o'clock shadow' is almost non existent. Huge fan of the Nivea.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0

Brush: SheaMoisture Badger
Razor: Merkur HD
Blade: unknown local grocery store brand (got confused and thought I was grabbing a Personna to try...grrr)
Cream: AOS unscented
Pre-shave: AOS Lavender
Post-shave: Kiehl's balm
And liberal use of a CVS Styptic Pencil

Shave was, for all intents and purposes, a bloodletting. This is my first full week wetshaving with a DE, and up until today I've used this same setup with a Derby blade. I've had a couple of minor nicks, but nothing like what I had today. Didn't feel a pull or a tug, but man it did some damage. Was using no pressure that I could detect. Had to stop partway through my second pass, as the shave had really ceased to be enjoyable.

I am wondering, though, if I'm not ultimately the cause due to using too much "product" on my face now. With the addition of the Kiehl's, I'm now putting a couple of creams on after my shave (also have to wear sunscreen every day due to skin cancer). I wonder if I'm not causing some bumps due to clogged pores that set me up for today's torture.
Was this in the shower or just out of the shower ? Are you stretching the skin? I also noticed the cheapy store blades which doesn't necessary mean anything but might not be ideal for a novice. Post answers to those questions and we'll help out.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Well I took the big step, (Finally got pissed off about paying Big Bucks for blades) Have been DE shaving for about three, all has gone well, no major blood yet, I must say I do find it enjoyable , but I'm not in a rush any more to get out the door....

Pre-shave: Proraso Refresh Pre/Post Shaving Cream
Cream: Proraso Shaving soap (Eucalyptus & Menthol)
Brush: Black Badger Brush
Razor: Parker 96A, Long Handle
Blade: Shark
After shave tonic: Captains Choice Artisan Bay Rum Aftershave
Your last line was exactly why I went to straight razor shaving. To slow things down and making shaving enjoyable instead of a chore

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I.
Was this in the shower or just out of the shower ? Are you stretching the skin? I also noticed the cheapy store blades which doesn't necessary mean anything but might not be ideal for a novice. Post answers to those questions and we'll help out.
It was right out of the shower. I don't know if I was stretching my skin or not. I do know that my shave the next day was incredible - with the exception of a slip around the corner of my mouth - that was totally my fault. The only difference was that for the outstanding shave I was using a Personna. What had happened was I swung by Sally Beauty last week and found Derby and Personna Blues. Later that day I'd found an old box of DE blades I'd bought at a grocery store a few years ago (long before I considered DE shaving - I used these for tying flies) but had set aside. I had taken all the blades out of their cardboard packaging to save space in my shave drawer. The Personnas and the grocery store blades were unmarked, and I simply grabbed the wrong ones that morning.

The Personnas have given me a couple of great shaves, but I keep screwing up and adding too much pressure - reverting to the way I've shaved with a cartridge for the past 25 years. It's going to take time to unlearn.

Hot_Sauce

&#924;&#927;&#923;&#937;&#925; &#923;&#913;&#914;&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Prep: Hot shower and conditioner to my face hair
Pre: Razorock Pro shave lube
Cream: C.O. Bigelow
Brush: Omega 10006 Boar
Razor: Gillette Superspeed
Blade: Crystal
Aftershave: Razorock Aftershave wax
Lotion: Gillette aftershave lotion
Cologne: Mustang

Hot_Sauce

Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Prep: Shower
Pre: Proraso Green Pre Shave
Cream: Biotique Bio Palmyra
Brush: Semogue Owners Club SE 2012
Razor: How to grow a mustache synergy
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
Aftershave: Osage Rub
Cologne: Acqua Di Geo

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Just wanted to say did my first shave today. I like the I got. Edwin Jagger 89lbl.

I took a shower like normal put my face wash that I use also as shave lotion and stepped out for the mirror. No cuts, no burn. Shave was as good in the tough areas as a mach 3 in the shower on the easy to shave places. I used a little nivea aftershave balm after rinsing and drying my face. I have pretty forgiving skin thats not sensitive though so maybe im lucky as a beginner.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Just wanted to say did my first shave today. I like the I got. Edwin Jagger 89lbl.

I took a shower like normal put my face wash that I use also as shave lotion and stepped out for the mirror. No cuts, no burn. Shave was as good in the tough areas as a mach 3 in the shower on the easy to shave places. I used a little nivea aftershave balm after rinsing and drying my face. I have pretty forgiving skin thats not sensitive though so maybe im lucky as a beginner.
I am starting to think that not getting cut isn't so much "beginner luck."

I was so worried about not slicing my face open when I started using the DE razor that I was extra careful. I suspect most of us beginners are like that. It's when we first get confidence that we get careless for just that faction of a second that causes us to nick ourselves.

Hasn't happened to me... Yet <grin>

Hot_Sauce

Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso Green pre shave
Cream: Tabac
Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2013 SE
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 barley handle
Aftershave: Skin Bracer
Cologne: Lomani

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Razor - newly cleaned fat handle Tech
Blade - Personna Lab Blue
Brush - Target Shea Moisture badger
Pre-shave - Art Of Shaving Lavender
Soap - Harris "Arlington"
Aftershave - Kiehl's balm

I went to a bunch of antique stores yesterday and scored a handful of vintage razors, including the Tech I used this morning. I cleaned it with multiple soakings in hot water and Ivory dish liquid, followed by scrubbing with an old toothbrush. The razor was then run through the dishwasher to sanitize, and then polished with Nevr Dull cotton wadding. One last scrub with a toothbrush and Ivory and it was ready to go.

Up until now, the only DE razor I've used is a Merkur HD. I had read that a fat handled Tech was going to be milder than a Merkur 34C. So perhaps I let my guard down too much. Regardless, I had a number of weepers, and the worst razor burn I've had since I started with a DE. I golfed this morning, and as soon as I started sweating my face caught fire.

I'll shave with that razor again, but I'm planning on being MUCH more careful.

Hot_Sauce

Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Been out of town. So for the last week I have been shaving with:

Pre: Razorock Preshave lube
Brush: Omega 10006 boar
Soap: Arko stick
Razor: Gillette 1966 Superspeed flare tip
Aftershave: Razorock aftershave wax
Lotion: Gillette aftershave lotion
Cologne: Mustang

Hot_Sauce

Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Did my favorite shave combo this morning

Prep: Shower with conditioner to facial hair
Pre: Proraso green pre shave
Brush: Semogue Owners Club SE 2013
Soap: Stirling cool
Razor: Merkur 42C
Blade: Feather
Aftershave: Aqua Velva ice blue
Lotion: Everyman Jack signature mint
Cologne: Nautica Discovery

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
If anyone gets the chance to grab P.160 Tipo Morbido Shave Soap, by all means do so. It's apparently discontinued now, but I got my hands on a small container from a trade on another board. This was the single nicest shave I've ever had in my life. Smooth, irritation free, pleasant scent but not overpowering, and whipped up enough rich creamy lather for about 5 shaves with just my normal amount of brush loading.

I now want to use this for every shave, but fear I will never get the chance to get my hands on it again so will hold off...

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Prep: Hot towel for about 3-4 minutes
Pre-shave: Cedarwood and Jasmine oil
Cream: Proraso Sandlewood cream
Brush: Summer badger hair brush
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89lbl with chrome handle
Blade: Feather
After shave tonic: Clubman Pinaud
After sahve balm: Nivea +Men

A couple of weepers, so I had to break out the alum block

But as I get more and more comfortable with the DE, I can't believe I didn't make the switch years ago.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I got my first cut today. Well it was a clogged pore/borderline zit really, just caught it with the corner of the razor. What a weeper.

An observation after using my DE for a couple weeks. The shave is much closer and leaves my face smoother. The next day though feels like two days after a mach 3. I suspect its because of the sharpness that the hairs are cut. The mach 3 probably rounds them making them feel less rough. Anyone else notice this? I find myself shaving every day to every other day now. I like it more and don't think "well there goes another $3 cartridge so I shave more frequently. I mostly work alone in a industry that prides themselves on gruff beards so a couple days stubble isn't an issue for me in a regular basis.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I got my first cut today. Well it was a clogged pore/borderline zit really, just caught it with the corner of the razor. What a weeper.

An observation after using my DE for a couple weeks. The shave is much closer and leaves my face smoother. The next day though feels like two days after a mach 3. I suspect its because of the sharpness that the hairs are cut. The mach 3 probably rounds them making them feel less rough. Anyone else notice this? I find myself shaving every day to every other day now. I like it more and don't think "well there goes another $3 cartridge so I shave more frequently. I mostly work alone in a industry that prides themselves on gruff beards so a couple days stubble isn't an issue for me in a regular basis.
Yup

I also think it's due to the angle that the DE blades cut.

Plus, those cartridges pull the hair before cutting, so the cut hair is actually slightly below the skin. Which is why I used to get clogged pores with my cartridge razor.

That doesn't happen with me DE