What's new

Premium Cigar Cutters: worth it?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I'm up to 5 Cutters in the last year and a half. They're all cheap Cutters, and I keep my cigars around 63%... Combine that with the dry AZ climate, and a sub optimal cut will do bad things to a cigar.
My question is, is it worth it to drop some money on a "quality cutter"?
Do you guys sharpen your Cutters? If so, how and how often?
Thanks and happy Thanksgiving.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
But don't they need periodic sharpening? Are you saying, if it needs sharpened, you can return it?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
i bought a Xikar xi3 last thanksgiving, think famous normal price was $80. It is definitely worth it. Much heftier than the cheap one ($25) it replaced, and it has a very high quality feel. The cut is superb after a year plus it has a lifetime warranty.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a stainless Cuban Crafters perfect cut. Lifetime warranty. Paid $13 on fleabay. Never a problem. Can't attest to more expensive cutters because I've never bought one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've never sharpened any of mine. I believe you can send them in for it but also believe a dealer would just give you a new one.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I bought a Xikar off of the devil's site and, although I knew it would make a difference, I wasn't prepared for how large of a difference it made. A cheap cutter can mangle the cut and tear the wrapper, causing the cigar to unwrap as you smoke it.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
El cheapo plastic $4 V-cutter available at pretty much any place that sells cigars. It cuts a fine groove, and still leaves the cap attached so the cigar doesn't unravel. If it does exactly what you desire from a $100 cutter, why would you even consider paying more? Especially when you consider that it is just as easy to lose the expensive cutters as the cheap ones. Just not nearly as irritating.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
DE giveaway ones are fantastic for me. I love my palios and would use them more often if I knew where they were. I have a couple of porsche design ones that are pretty but rarely used. One I have not used at all.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I just use the cheaper ones for now, kept in my truck and the garage. I do have a few that are "pricier" but they're no Xikar or Palio and still get the job done.

I've heard nothing but good about the Palio cutters, but make sure they're USA made. The company has since been sold off to China and heard the quality isn't good anymore.

Xikar, well others have said it. But one day I'll get my hands on one. Maybe when one of my cheapies crap out on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I love my Palio cutter. If you can find one of the USA made ones they are great and well worth the money. I haven't tried the newer Chinese ones though.
My USA made Palio was great. The Chinese ones are....well..exactly what you would expect. Xikar makes a cutter that's worth the money and they can be had for a good price on Amazon. I haven't had to return one yet but I've talked to people who have and they've had no issues.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I used a cheap one for a while then a brother on here sent me a xikar he wasn't using. I'll never buy a cheap cutter again. makes a world of difference

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I bought a Xikar X4 cutter off eBay this spring for about $10-12 shipped.. Can't beat that price

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a zino double blade and have almost pulled the trigger on a Davidoff quite a few times.

The xikar pear shaped cutters give the best cut hands down. If you want to throw the most expensive cutter on the table get the Davidoff.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have a Xikar, Xi3 if I am not mistaken and I have had it since 2012 and she still cuts as if it were new...Palio also makes an excellent cutter.
Both carry excellent warranties...as it is Black Friday...Checkout Famous and other sites as they may have deals on cutters and cigars.