What's new

Rasshat reviews A, B, C going out

Stogie_Bear

Chulo Savage
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Just gonna post a first and last pic to avoid excessive scrolling, especially since we all have the same stick. If you MUST have all the pics, just ask.

Date: 10/25/14
Review: Rasshat Blind Review A
Size: 5 ½ x 50

Appearance/construction: Smooth and semi-oily wrapper with a gorgeous dark chocolate color, and obviously grown in mineral rich soil from the sparkle. Triple capped like a boss! This is a very well-constructed stick, which narrows down the options for my guess substantially. Some rather large veins running through mine, but I don’t think it will affect the burn. Also, very firm with very little give on the press. This baby is packed full!

Aroma Pre-Light: Getting hints of wood and spice on the aroma of the wrapper. When testing the foot, a huge scent of black licorice and spice, but very sweet in a way.

Cold draw: Went with a straight cut with scissors to really open the cap and to avoid any potential draw issues; I would hate to have to recut to open it up after lighting. A little resistance on the cold draw, probably a 6/10, and the wrapper just soaked up every molecule of moisture on my lips. There is a heavy spice on my lips, plus licorice, cinnamon and natural tobacco flavors from the cold draw. Also, the spice on my lips and tongue continues to tingle long after the cold draw. Spicy…

Light: Lighting with cedar. Quick and easy light, with a razor flat burn. Draw is still a little tight, but I’m not too worried yet.

First impression: Not as much spice as I expected after tasting the cold draw. This stick jumps right into smooth, skipping all the bitter nonsense you get in the first half inch of most cigars. Additionally, there is earth flavored coating along the top of my mouth. Dave said it best: buttery.

Aroma Post-Light: The smoke aroma consists of pepper and spice for me, with a hint of burning cedar.

First Third: Ok, after the initial half inch of “first impression,” I’m rolling into the first third with a moderately open draw (8/10) and tons of flavor. The smoke is creamy and smooth, with cinnamon and spice on the tongue and a sweet Irish cream and leather on the retrohale. Still burning mostly even, skewing a bit and then promptly self-correcting at every turn. I need to slow down, I’m already starting to cone a bit… but it just tastes so damn good…

Well, unfortunately I am forced to patience when I have to help our foot-soldier mail man carry his bag up the driveway. This man walks entire neighborhoods at a time, scoffing at the belligerence and naivety of the mail drivers who deliver their packages from the comfort of their right-side drive government pawn-trucks. He hates all of you. This one is from TeamRandR… wonderful… you people just can’t help digging your own graves…

Ok, back to the review. Nice tight ash on this stick. Great flavor and burning slow. I take sip of tea (thanks to the mad tea bomber himself) and decide not to rush. Moving into the second third…

Second Third: Not much flavor change so far, more of a mellowing of the original flavors. I’m not getting as much spice or cinnamon on the tongue and lips, but it is still present, probably due to the softening on the cap as I slobber all over it…. It’s hard for bears to dry smoke like pansies. I’m chewing on it and it’s fantastic.
Shut-up.

I’m getting the occasional grit when I chew, which is fine. I’m beginning to pick up more earthiness and leather in the draw, but still a very creamy and plentiful smoke. The retro is significantly more pleasing than the first third, with sweet tobacco and cedar.

I start into the meat of the stick, the very middle, and this transforms into a pepper show. Still have the buttery goodness and the leather. I swear I just tasted my grandma’s homemade sausage gravy for a second… annnnd it’s gone.

The ash is rock solid, right up until it’s not. You can’t lightly tap it off… either you’re going to flick it like a cigarette if it’s too soon, or it just falls off. It’s like each of these cigars has their own personality. This is the hard-ass boss who’s really a pushover when you bring him a country-fried steak biscuit…. Not saying that’s me or anything…. But my employees did get a half day yesterday… and I did receive a steak biscuit. There is the infrequent light hint of dried fruit on the tongue, but it never stays long.

Moving towards the end of the second third, the flavor still has not changed much for me. The retro is still very delightful and buttery. It is growing in pepper flavor, ever so slightly, draw by draw. The only real noticeable addition to the flavor is caramelized brown sugar. No, not straight caramel. More like when you’re making a brown/cane sugar glaze and it’s toasting on the bottom of your sauce pan, slowly losing solidity as it accepts the truth: that it is about to be drizzled over homemade empanadas and there is nothing to prevent its untimely demise.

Wow… I really ran with that one…. Sorry.

Final Third: Some nice full pepper coming in, while maintaining the sweet brown sugar in the back with leather, butter and more pepper in the retro. The pepper has kicked up a lot in this final third but not to an unmanageable level. Still a very tasty smoke. Smoke production is still plentiful and the draw continues to open up the closer I get to the end. Construction is still holding strong, even with the chew. The cap is still intact and there has been no unravelling of any sort. Burn still incredibly even with the occasional self-correction.

Very full pepper now that is starting to push the other flavors out. The heat still isn’t too bad, which is great because I’m moving into the “nub” status. I’ve stopped retrohaling since the pepper got really heavy.

Overall Impression/Final Notes: Good cigar. Probably a good post dinner cigar, in retrospect. I’m not really sure where to place my chips, although I would not be surprised if this was a high class smoke. I’m going to say something from My Father, although I’m not sure what blend.

Smoke time: 1h40min
Scoring:

Appearance and Presentation: 18/20
Lighting and Burning Properties: 14/15
Construction Properties: 26/30
Taste Properties: 32/35

Total: 90/100

Last edited:

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
You know, I was thinking, and this may be a little Rasshat bashing here, but, wouldn't it be nice to get a decent solid review of each smoke from Rasshat himself prior to his reveal?

With him knowing what it is, how different from each of the blind reviews it might be...

Just a thought.

Stogie_Bear

Chulo Savage
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
You know, I was thinking, and this may be a little Rasshat bashing here, but, wouldn't it be nice to get a decent solid review of each smoke from Rasshat himself prior to his reveal?

With him knowing what it is, how different from each of the blind reviews it might be...

Just a thought.
Yeah! Good calm DTGW... Bash on hahaha

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0

Just a thought.
Not a bad call, let me make sure I have another A and if time permits I'll review tonight.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Matty! Glad you are joining the party! Yes an "evening with Rasshat" for each stick would be epic. He has said that he hasn't even had stick B yet.
Joined the party? Hell, I was pushed into an oncoming party bus...

Just a thought.
Not a bad call, let me make sure I have another A and if time permits I'll review tonight.
Remember, I haven't smoked "A" yet, unless you want me to state that my review is eerily similar to the three above...

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I've smoked so many God damn blends over the last 8 months that it makes remembering extremely difficult.. I really feel I've had all three of these, yet I can't unscramble the puzzle...my mental humi is a catastrophe!

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Rasshat Blind Label "C"

Robusto

The cigar has a fresh cedar pre lite aroma going on, I get hints of oak as well. Not overbearing at all.

Saltiness on the cold draw, nothing else really coming though but tobacco. The actual draw is airy and wide open.

I'm liking the post toast aroma, reminds me of what I always remember cigars smelling like.

Holy smoke production Batman.. Smooth retro... Roasted peanuts, the smoke has a very toasty appeal. There's more body to this cigar than I expected. The ash is stark white against a beechwood wrapper...it's actually quite gorgeous. The burn line is perfect although, it's burning pretty fast. A spiced earthiness popped in about the 1 inch mark. You can feel a creamed sensation as the smoke floats along the tongue. A sweetness just came about a little pat the 1" mark.

The looks of this cigar are very unassuming and I am surprised at the amount of flavor its producing. It's also a very lightweight stick. The second third brings a brighter note than the toasty peanuts and spice from the first third. The spice is still here but there's a citrus present that leaves a twang on the finish... I love the word twang..lol the burn is getting a little wonky through the middle...oh and I love the word wonky as well.. I don't know if this will correct itself.. I just got off of work and this is a great stick to start off my morning.. The peppery retro has really picked up. If you let the smoke linger out the nose, you can still detect the toasty peanut profile I was getting at the beginning. And we have self correction! Love it. The earth from the beginning is still playing a part. Lemon, earth, spice and an underlying toasted peanut. I just had a floral note flash in and out...very cool. This cigar has a complexity that will surprise you.

The sweetness seems to disappear approaching the final third. Yet there it is... Cigars are so weird...haha. The strength is on the low side of medium. This is another beautiful cigar. I love everything about it. The aroma is very comforting. I'm listening to Christmas instrumentals...too early? NEVER! It's so relaxing and allows the mind to wander along, soaking in the experience. What a well blended cigar. I would buy a box. It is mild enough for a morning smoke but has enough flavors and complexity for an after dinner smoke as well.

The sweetness fades in and out and leather fills the inbetweens.. This thing produces smoke like a freight train Haulin' balls. The flavors from beginning to end dance around, each taking turn to lead. The spice grew into the second third and has stayed constant through the finish. It's a spicy little prick on the end. At points the spice ebbs to reveal a buttery smooth retro. Nub worthy to the max. Thank you Ryan.

Burn time: 1hr 20min

Score: 94/100

Guess: Joya De Nicaragua Red

Last edited:

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Alright Ryan, "A" has been sleeping in a dry box for the night. Lighting up now, will post when finished.
Quoting this as to not clog up the thread with hundred mile long comments lol. Great review Chris, I think it's interesting how closely we rated this cigar.. I'm curious as to what you'll change your guess to. I still haven't decided on any of them lol.

Stogie_Bear

Chulo Savage
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Alright Ryan, "A" has been sleeping in a dry box for the night. Lighting up now, will post when finished.
Quoting this as to not clog up the thread with hundred mile long comments lol. Great review Chris, I think it's interesting how closely we rated this cigar.. I'm curious as to what you'll change your guess to. I still haven't decided on any of them lol.
Yeah definitely. Im really trying not to read the reviews until I smoke each so as not put any thoughts into my own head. I had an appointment this afternoon that I forgot about and kinda rushed my last third, as well as my guess.... But as my thoughts gathered again and I started really thinking about the construction and strong notes of the cigar, along with how damn good it was and how I wished I had smoked it at night and on a full stomach (we both know how much environment and the day's eats affects a review)... I've come to the conclusion that I'm 90% sure this was the CH Tennessee Waltz. I may be wrong, because I've only smoked one previously and then gave a bunch away. ... But thats what my gut is telling me.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Alright boys. The kiddies are sleeping, the wife is out of town, the world series is on, and it's not too cold outside.

Review to follow when complete :)

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
prelight smells a bit like ashtry since it was leaning into it as you can see in picture lol a great start

i will say that my knowing what this is shouldnt affect this too much imo since i have only smoked one of these before and it wasnt too long ago. i thought it was one of the best ive had from this specific manufacturer although others may disagree.

wetting the cap i get a nice spice on my tongue. rich and dense. the wrapper has the sheen of mineral everyone has mentioned. i thought that this clue would really help narrow down the guesses.

clipping the cap reveals a smooth sweet cream scent. it feels like a clue that something really nice is about to happen. I am glad you guys wanted me to review this well for two reasons; made choosing what to smoke really easy and i have wanted to revisit but i always lean towards picking something new out of the coolers.

cold draw is extremely sweet. getting a lil crunchiness in the mouth from the wrapper mineral thingys.

fires right up. full lighter...but still having issues. overdo for a full purge of the lighter. im going to sit on it for awhile so it warms up, always seems to help.

first third
immediately met with a rich sweet taste with a moderate spice on the retro. thick smoke, high production, and nice open draw just how i prefer. seriously, the smoke production is unreal. a slow effortless draw fills the palate with creamy, sweet, spicy smoke that say hola mi amigo. im going to have to remind myself to pace myself as i want to dive off the cliff and just keep puffing! i love this stick already and it was a fitting choice for this evening.
the spice is just right. not overwhelming, but inviting. retros with ease and is coupled with the sweet broadleaf flavor and some underlying nuances i havent identified yet. a really nice balance thus far and im only a quarter inch into it.
just noticed i made one of the best cuts on this stick ive ever made. i always usually have a slight angle or cut too far. this cut is right on the arc and almost straight. looks sexy
made a slight touch up that was more related to me lighting than how its burning. the aroma around me is pleasant, rich and chocolatey.
burn is rolling razor sharp now. that chocolatey aroma just joined the party a bit and the sweetness transitions to it.

side note, since i do that in reviews...this kansas city royals run has been awesome to watch. some of the best baseball ive ever watched. i hope they win it all so they can rub their bullpen in my detroit tigers faces. another wasted year for my team since they didnt improve their glaring hole...sad, but F it...GO ROYALS!!!

let me reiterate, the smoke production is RIDICULOUS!!! almost Liga-like, close as heck of not equal. just pouring off the end while sitting still and draws bring in as much as i choose with ease. hence, why i was shocked Dave had any issue getting a lot of smoke.

The flavor profile is hanging pretty tight on the chocolatey sweetness with moderate spice. a creamy dense smoke with almost a leathery after feel while chewing on the smoke like Stogie_Bear. thick, rich, and tasty. definitely enjoying the hell out of this thus far.
gave it a nice purge about 3/4 inch in. i believe it was yodismatt who suggested this and ive been doing it regularly since. have definitely noticed a difference in final thirds and being less harsh. thanks!

if you retrohale as much as i do then this is a great stick for you. very nice and not overpowering. i am pushing as much through the nostrils as i can with no issue.

took a nice sip of high quality h20, thought about adam sandler in the waterboy for a second, now back to it.

royals giants tied up. dammit!!!

first third continues to be delicious. flavor is growing in richness, but the spice is fading. not a bad thing. just transitioning to keep it exciting. ash is tight white and holding the original shape of the unburned stick firmly.

and the ash is now on my lap...typical. first third comes to a close with a lot less spice, but much richer/leathery body with a lingering sweetness. a great third ends and a new one begins.

second third
started with a purge to keep things fresh. first puff retros nicely with little to no spice but a new flavor emerging. either a grassy or a basil type flavor. a little more herbal than grass, but faint so not too discerning. hopefully it hangs out a bit. another puff and i feel like im eating dinner. basil might be too subtle, oregano would be too extreme. somewhere in between. an amazing transition from the sweetness to a more main course type of feel. its like dessert was first, now the main course. i think thats how meals should be since theres nothing worse than not having room for a nice dessert:)
minor touchup needed right along the leaf roll line. no biggie, barely breeze torch over it and its back on track. the rest has been razor sharp since the get go.
as this third progresses, the hebal tastes dissapears and a fruity, apple like flavor emerges. still creamy and thick flavor with a light touch of ?apple? there is still a leathery finish with a little saltiness that lingers between puffs. delicious

giants just broke the game open. ouch....

stick almost went out. was checking up on botl and lost track. my fault, not the stick. was looking at pics from the SC herf. looks like the guys had a great time! did somebody say brisket? suddenly hungry...

this second third is wrapping up where it started. a nice combo of flavor with a great finish. no complaints, looking forward to the finale!

third third
smoke production has not ceased to impress. burn line has remained impressive. a quality constructed stick, nothing better than being able to sit back and enjoy.
this third continues he second thirds nice profile but with a touch of spice coming back that was absent since the beginning.
almost tastes like a baking spice, cinnamon maybe, coming into this mix. its definitely changing, but slowly.

the burn line has gone nuts just like this baseball game. major fix needed, weird.

this last third hasnt been fireworks like i expected. almost like a combo of the first two thirds. subtle spice, subtle sweet, subtle herb, but still very rich. id say medfull but not overpowering. tasty and nice. a great smoke. other than the one recent issue the burn has been excellent. feels like a can chew the flavor in my mouth after a puff. never hot, nice and steady.

my overall score would be in the 92-93 range of normal scales. not the greatest smoke in history, but miles ahead of most things on the market. could easily be a regular smoke, but i like to constantly try new things so the next one of these i smoke could be ways away. who knows...

smoking time is right around 2 hours. im slower than most typically:)