What's new

Recomendations against dog attacks

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Last Thursday while walking my dogs in the park next to my house we were savagely attacked by a boxer mix and a pit bull mix. Both dogs lit into 1 of mine, a 15 pound soaking wet Morkie (Maltese Yorkie). If not for an off duty cop that just happened to be jogging by my dog would have been killed on the spot. It took several minutes of us both punching/kicking/yelling/pulling at the dogs to finally get them off. I got my dog to the emergency vet and he spent 4 days i ICU and was touch and go in the beginning but he is finally home a resting. Yes the owner of the dogs was cited, they are in quarantine for a few more days. All vet bills will be covered and I'm thinking about an attorney because it has caused us a lot of lost sleep and for me anxiety.

Ok there's the back ground now to my question.
I'm trying to decide the best, safest thing I can get to ward off dogs. This is my 3rd incident in 10 years, although the others resulted in no injuries, but I am tired of people letting there dogs roam off leash while they jog (these 2 escaped from a back yard) and causing me problems.

I know many will say CC, which I have and in this case a 9mm to the attacking dogs was warranted in a park setting Im not sure how save it would be. (missed shots, through and through possibly hitting others.. So I'm thinking a gel type mace or a taser. I walk 2 dogs so I need my hands free-what ever I use needs to have a belt clip. I don't want something i have to put a belt through a loop. I also don't want to seem threatening to others so Kbar on my thigh or strapped to my leg is probably not a good idea. Some type of club would be nice if I could secure it. (those expandable batons I see on TV might be ideal.) I've thought of an air horn but that would scare the piss put of my dogs too.

Anyway, do you have any recommendations or actual experience on something that works?

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
My friend has two rottweillers. They were out on a walk and attacked by two pit bulls and even the rotties couldn't defend themselves from those dogs. He pulled out his bowie and stabbed the pits until they finally let go of his dogs. I know you said no knives but honestly in a situation like that it may be your best bet. You don't know when they'll turn on you next.

Hope your little guy is doing better.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
You can try pepper spray, that may work. You have to be careful with whatever you use though, because the aggression could turn towards you and those dogs could really hurt you.

On another note, I am surprised with how vicious the attack were that the dogs were not put down. Dogs that are able to get out of their confinement usually will get out again and most likely have had some trouble in the past.

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Last Thursday while walking my dogs in the park next to my house we were savagely attacked by a boxer mix and a pit bull mix. Both dogs lit into 1 of mine, a 15 pound soaking wet Morkie (Maltese Yorkie). If not for an off duty cop that just happened to be jogging by my dog would have been killed on the spot. It took several minutes of us both punching/kicking/yelling/pulling at the dogs to finally get them off. I got my dog to the emergency vet and he spent 4 days i ICU and was touch and go in the beginning but he is finally home a resting. Yes the owner of the dogs was cited, they are in quarantine for a few more days. All vet bills will be covered and I'm thinking about an attorney because it has caused us a lot of lost sleep and for me anxiety.

Ok there's the back ground now to my question.
I'm trying to decide the best, safest thing I can get to ward off dogs. This is my 3rd incident in 10 years, although the others resulted in no injuries, but I am tired of people letting there dogs roam off leash while they jog (these 2 escaped from a back yard) and causing me problems.

I know many will say CC, which I have and in this case a 9mm to the attacking dogs was warranted in a park setting Im not sure how save it would be. (missed shots, through and through possibly hitting others.. So I'm thinking a gel type mace or a taser. I walk 2 dogs so I need my hands free-what ever I use needs to have a belt clip. I don't want something i have to put a belt through a loop. I also don't want to seem threatening to others so Kbar on my thigh or strapped to my leg is probably not a good idea. Some type of club would be nice if I could secure it. (those expandable batons I see on TV might be ideal.) I've thought of an air horn but that would scare the piss put of my dogs too.

Anyway, do you have any recommendations or actual experience on something that works?
I really don't see the point of a club or similar type device, because this could turn into the dogs attacking you instead. For me personally, I would carry a pistol and put them down.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You can try pepper spray, that may work. You have to be careful with whatever you use though, because the aggression could turn towards you and those dogs could really hurt you.

On another note, I am surprised with how vicious the attack were that the dogs were not put down. Dogs that are able to get out of their confinement usually will get out again and most likely have had some trouble in the past.
Trust me I wanted them put down. When I got back from the Vet, the police, animal control and the owner were outside my house in the street. I let my feelings be known to the owner in no uncertain terms. (he was really shaken up to) but the AC officer said that was not the law unless our dog died. They were going to do a fence check to find out how the dogs escaped.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Trust me I wanted them put down. When I got back from the Vet, the police, animal control and the owner were outside my house in the street. I let my feelings be known to the owner in no uncertain terms. (he was really shaken up to) but the AC officer said that was not the law unless our dog died. They were going to do a fence check to find out how the dogs escaped.
Wow crazy, my dog once nipped the vet while getting his routine visit and we almost had to put him down...guess it's all different when humans are hurt.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I CC when I walk my dog. Very seldom is a dog seen loose around here, but one gets loose once in a while. I CC when I walk my dog and we have encountered a loose dog a few times but happily none have been aggressive. If they were aggressive I would take whatever action required to stop the threat.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'm in the knife or gun camp myself. But wouldn't use the gun unless I had (specific) gun insurance. You could be in a world of hurt financially without the gun insurance. On a side note those dogs should definitely be put down. Only a matter of time before they turn on a child.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Pepper spray would probably be your best less than lethal approach but keep in mind your most likely going to have to spray your dog too. Then you'll get the crap all over you when taking care of your dog after the incident unless your lucky enough to deploy the spray before they get your dog.

Personally, I'd probably just shoot the damn things. I'm not very tolerant of aggressive dogs.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
After much harassment by many dogs, my wife was eventually attacked last year while walking in the neigborhood, about 10 blocks away. She fended the dog off pretty good. Reported it immediately and the Officer did a good job shaking the owner down with a dose of reality. Wife had a deep bite puncture that we had looked over at the medi-quick place. Cop followed-up and took the receipt over and got our co-pay from the owner. Wife walks less now, but will take mace, although I have little faith in that.

Personally, I recommend a pack or two, (or five ), of firecrackers. As long as your pup is leashed, attract attention while you rain terror on the wayward hounds.