What's new

Recomendations against dog attacks

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I guess a gun in case of actual attack and a noisemaker for dogs that look like they are thinking about it.
I need a holster that is secure but doesn't depend on a belt looped through it.
If you dont already have it, take a few classes and get your CHL. Find a good IWB (inside waistband) holster for something you're comfortable with. Most will come with a pretty solid clip that'll hook onto the waistband of most any pants.
Here's one of mine (belt isnt necessary, but it helps if you have a heavier pistol) Its from DSG Arms in Fort Worth, made for a Glock 43

Untitled by Shift_Six, on Flickr

If you're not thrilled with the idea of carrying a handgun, maybe Bear mace? I'd imagine the likelihood of hosing your own pup down is pretty high as well. (though better than dead)

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Great subject, and as I figured, answers vary. Before I had my kids, my wife and I had this problem all the time as we ran a lot. I thought we were done for one time when a Pit saw us running on the main road and sprinted about 70 yards towards us, up a big hill, under a road barrier and started after us. He was snarling and barking loud all the while I watched the owner do absolutely nothing. The dog was about to lunge towards my wife's leg so I was getting ready to kick and get in between when a car came up and scared the dog back to his house. When I yelled at the owner, turned out he was their teenage kid and said "what, he's not my dog." wtf??

Ever since then, I carried a small thing of mace. But while running, it's hard to carry anything substantial. I'll be getting a dog soon as my 2 younger kids are old enough to help take care of it. When I walk the dog, I will carry a knife, although my neighborhood is pretty safe.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
If it's not attacking you, a gun wouldn't be that smart. Just as good of a chance you shoot your dog. Or a kid. Or any other pedestrian. Or incur legal liability as mentioned previously.

Human aggression and canine aggression are not correlated. IOW, the chance a dog turns on you while breaking up a fight are negligible. Even dogs that are trained to fight are readied by their opponent's handler before the match.

Get a break stick.

I know from experience. I worked with dozens and dozens of pit bulls as a volunteer at a shelter in Chicago (and currently own two). Many of these were evidence in pending court cases from fighting. All of them, except for the bait dogs, had high prey drives. None of them ever put me in a situation where I felt remotely endangered. On 2 occasions, once with a new volunteer, once with a seasoned associate, dogs were allowed to come around blind corners in the facility without a prior "DOG" call from the handler. I used the break stick we had on hand with great effectiveness both times. If you can't find one to purchase, you can make one easily by filing down a broom stick. Loop a leather shoestring through the end so you can hang it from your wrist.

Sorry to hear about your dog. I know it's excruciating to see them in pain. Hopefully you'll never need to use a weapon as a deterrent on any walk in the future.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
If it's not attacking you, a gun wouldn't be that smart. Just as good of a chance you shoot your dog. Or a kid. Or any other pedestrian. Or incur legal liability as mentioned previously.

Human aggression and canine aggression are not correlated. IOW, the chance a dog turns on you while breaking up a fight are negligible. Even dogs that are trained to fight are readied by their opponent's handler before the match.

Get a break stick.

I know from experience. I worked with dozens and dozens of pit bulls as a volunteer at a shelter in Chicago (and currently own two). Many of these were evidence in pending court cases from fighting. All of them, except for the bait dogs, had high prey drives. None of them ever put me in a situation where I felt remotely endangered. On 2 occasions, once with a new volunteer, once with a seasoned associate, dogs were allowed to come around blind corners in the facility without a prior "DOG" call from the handler. I used the break stick we had on hand with great effectiveness both times. If you can't find one to purchase, you can make one easily by filing down a broom stick. Loop a leather shoestring through the end so you can hang it from your wrist.

Sorry to hear about your dog. I know it's excruciating to see them in pain. Hopefully you'll never need to use a weapon as a deterrent on any walk in the future.
I agree, i don't see him being able to keep his cool with a pistol while his a dog has his jaws locked on his dog.

He would end up shooting himself or his dog. Seems excessive. It wouldnt be easy to remain calm in such a scenario.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Feel like a cattle prod or some other long ranged taser would be a good solution. Not as drastic as a gun but still effective.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Maaaan don't kill the dog >< even if it's a violent one it's not cool. Just incapacitate it and get safe.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Anyone have a 410 pistol? Might be good as a noise maker and not as dangerous with birdshot. (To anything a distance away)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I guess a gun in case of actual attack and a noisemaker for dogs that look like they are thinking about it.
I need a holster that is secure but doesn't depend on a belt looped through it.
"Layered" carry is always a good idea. Different tools serve different purposes. Though, I think the best answer (and this applies for everyone, not just this thread) is learning empty-hand, ground defense. Learning some basic BJJ + striking covers A LOT of bases.

Armiger Solutions, JM Custom Kydex, and Dark Star Gear all make such holsters. I would recommend them in that order.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Sorry to hear about your pup.

I'd strongly suggest consulting an attorney. Especially if you end up having any vet or medical bills further down the road.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
"Layered" carry is always a good idea. Different tools serve different purposes. Though, I think the best answer (and this applies for everyone, not just this thread) is learning empty-hand, ground defense. Learning some basic BJJ + striking covers A LOT of bases.

Armiger Solutions, JM Custom Kydex, and Dark Star Gear all make such holsters. I would recommend them in that order.
I'll just have you walk my dog. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a 410 pistol? Might be good as a noise maker and not as dangerous with birdshot. (To anything a distance away)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Please do not use any type of firearm as a "noise maker". If you want that, get an air horn.

I carry 1.3% (stream) OC spray strictly for dogs (granted it's been used on people too...) There's different strengths and styles out there but it's not always effective. I've had a few dogs lick their lips and ask for seconds before like they eat habanero's for fun.

Like anything else the "layer" or "tier" approach is best. Walking stick, OC spray, C2 TASER, knife and/or gun. Not saying you have to go for your evening walk looking like Rambo but having choices doesn't hurt.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small CO2 fire extinguisher. They make a small belt model. We used bigger ones on SWAT. The biggest pitbulls will turn tail. I handle an Olde English Bulldog and teach self-defense. Whenever I walk I always carry a stick for a crack on the nose. We use tennis rackets to approach unknown/aggressive dogs. There is something about the mesh that moves them back.- George

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So here is what I've done.
I ordered a Concealment Express IWB holster that was made for my Taurus. Fits it perfectly and is much easier to use than the one I was using with a belt.
Ordered several tactical gel mace cans.
Ordered a Viperteck flashlight with a built in tazer. (wife wanted this)

I will carry mace or flashlight and pistol. The 9mm will be a last resort.
I hope it never happens to me or my family again but after the 3rd time I want to be prepared.

Last edited: