What's new

Recomendations against dog attacks

Beardfellows

J.D.-Chief Executive Beardfellow
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd be surprised how effective a 2.5"-3" blade pocket knife is.

.....Otherwise I would suggest keeping a venomous snake on another leash. Perhaps @xjsnake has a recommendation.
I think we can all agree this is the most scientific approach to a difficult question. +1 for the Inland Taipan on a leash.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Last Thursday while walking my dogs in the park next to my house we were savagely attacked by a boxer mix and a pit bull mix. Both dogs lit into 1 of mine, a 15 pound soaking wet Morkie (Maltese Yorkie). If not for an off duty cop that just happened to be jogging by my dog would have been killed on the spot. It took several minutes of us both punching/kicking/yelling/pulling at the dogs to finally get them off. I got my dog to the emergency vet and he spent 4 days i ICU and was touch and go in the beginning but he is finally home a resting. Yes the owner of the dogs was cited, they are in quarantine for a few more days. All vet bills will be covered and I'm thinking about an attorney because it has caused us a lot of lost sleep and for me anxiety.

Ok there's the back ground now to my question.
I'm trying to decide the best, safest thing I can get to ward off dogs. This is my 3rd incident in 10 years, although the others resulted in no injuries, but I am tired of people letting there dogs roam off leash while they jog (these 2 escaped from a back yard) and causing me problems.

I know many will say CC, which I have and in this case a 9mm to the attacking dogs was warranted in a park setting Im not sure how save it would be. (missed shots, through and through possibly hitting others.. So I'm thinking a gel type mace or a taser. I walk 2 dogs so I need my hands free-what ever I use needs to have a belt clip. I don't want something i have to put a belt through a loop. I also don't want to seem threatening to others so Kbar on my thigh or strapped to my leg is probably not a good idea. Some type of club would be nice if I could secure it. (those expandable batons I see on TV might be ideal.) I've thought of an air horn but that would scare the piss put of my dogs too.

Anyway, do you have any recommendations or actual experience on something that works?
I realize this is an old post but if the OP is still following it or anyone else is interested, a bar of soap in a tube sock, masterlock with a bandanna run through it, or anything similar would probably be pretty effective for this particular situation. It’s cheap, easy, concealable, accurate, & legal just about anywhere.