What's new

Recomendations against dog attacks

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
People that say your nerves will take over and you will not be able to shoot the correct animal......
Train with your firearm.
I shoot about once a month. (maybe every other if life takes over.)
-I personally have watched PD shoot a PB(s) in the vital organs to execute them during attacks on Children and adults. (Several Xs now) They wait for the shot and they take it. Although civilians that carry are not police. If it were my animal attacked. I'm taking the shot. I'll see the owner in court.
4 years ago....
Wife, newborn son and 7 lb shorkie are going for a spring walk. It's around noon. I'm paying bills via the checkbook. I look out the back set of windows of our house. There is a coyote stalking towards the front yard on a hedgerow (empty lots next to our home) in a low crouch position. He's headed right towards my wife on the front driveway. She's on the cell phone.(I only knew this later)
Anyway,
I run as fast as I can to the bedroom. Pick up the Remington 870 express supermag that's already loaded. And run out the back patio door with no shoes or socks on. Coyote sees me and it's too late. I lit his ass up with a few pellets of Double B shot from about 30 yards away. I couldn't find the carcass. But the thing yelped for a half mile.
If the OP is scared for his animals. AND his safety as well. Get the strongest mace you can. And the CC firearm as the end all.
Just my opinion. I carry while I walk my dog.
I know every dog in the neighborhood here. Even though they are not the threat. If they were I wouldn't hesitate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People that say your nerves will take over and you will not be able to shoot the correct animal......
Train with your firearm.
^this.

Sprays are too uncontrollable, clubs too likely to hit the wrong thing, knives get you too close to the attacking animal, and noisemakers are (and will be) easily ignored. By far the best and safest option is to train well with a firearm and not lose your head when you need to use it.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I know carry a gel mace with me in the park at all times. I sometimes carry my pistol but at times there are so many people on the trails I would be concerned about collateral damage. As I practice and get more confident with my aim with the handgun that may change.
As to the nerves part, I'm a private pilot, Multi engine IFR rated. Taking a dog out with a pistol would be a piece of cake compared to shooting an ILS to minimums in a 25 knot cross wind, pouring rain and 5 lives in your hands on board the plane.

Just sayin....

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
I carry a gun on walks around the neighborhood and I have zero fear of facing any charges related to shooting someones loose dogs. Keep them on your property.
Exactly this...Our GSDs are aggressively protective with my wife and have stopped 3 charging dogs in 5 years. I have zero doubt that our oldest (5 years) dog will kill or die before anything happens to my wife. I carry everytime we go for a walk, shoot first and send "sorry for your loss cards" later.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have seen several videos on YouTube, showing folk successfully repealing pit bull attacks using bear spray. The down side is that your dog may get a blast of it too, and at only 15 lbs., may not survive.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Exactly this...Our GSDs are aggressively protective with my wife and have stopped 3 charging dogs in 5 years. I have zero doubt that our oldest (5 years) dog will kill or die before anything happens to my wife. I carry everytime we go for a walk, shoot first and send "sorry for your loss cards" later.
Both of my dearly departed Rottweilers would have given their life for me. Which brings me to a funny story. Years ago, I was taking my dearly departed English Mastiff for a walk, when a beagle charged barking, from across the street. My 250 lb. Mastiff hid behind me, expecting me to protect him from the mean little beagle, lol.

Also, that shoot first and send a card, really depends on where you live. Here in South Jersey, you would be arrested for discharging a firearm in public. In NC, my daughter's neighborhood was having problems with aggressive wild dogs. A neighbor called the Sheriff about them. He said, "You have a gun, don't you? The next time you see them, shoot them!" I think I'm going to really, really like living fulltime in NC.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Coyotes have been spotted in the park where I walk to adding another level of fun. My neighbor caught them on a trail csm. His yard backs up to the park.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Dollars to donuts the dog was walking the owner, on a retractable leash, instead of heeling properly.

Golden Retrievers (!), Beagles, German Shepherds, and not without irony, Yorkies, all score worse on temperment tests than Pit Bulls do.

http://dogtime.com/dog-health/general/1220-american-pit-bull-terrier-temperament-dog-bites

When considering a guy shot himself while teaching a handgun safety class at NRA headquarters this past week, the RAMBOness coming from this thread is pretty funny. Don't get me completely wrong here, I own a Mossberg 88 & a Glock 32 (that never leave the house), I just don't believe most people are anywhere close to as competent as they think they are under extreme duress. You cannot train for the adrenaline.

I would not/have not/will not hesitate to take a Pit around kids of any age. Any fear of the breed is the result of sensationalized media stories and/or ignorance, which can be overcome by education & interaction. I'll be adopting my 3rd one by the end of the summer.
IMG_4958.JPG
IMG_7886.JPG

(R.I.P. Major 6/03-4/10/17)

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
You cannot train for the adrenaline.
Yes you can. However, the average person does not. While I'll never support required heightened training standards, I very much believe it's one's moral duty to reach that level of proficiency. I'm unable to relate to the "Guess I'm gonna buy a gun and start carrying it now" camp.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can. However, the average person does not. While I'll never support required heightened training standards, I very much believe it's one's moral duty to reach that level of proficiency. I'm unable to relate to the "Guess I'm gonna buy a gun and start carrying it now" camp.
That's why I always push "buy a gun and train on an ongoing basis so that you can use it properly".

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a Citronella spray specifically for dogs. It works like mace, but does not harm the dog permanently. Not sure if it would be enough to stop an attack by a boxer or pit bull, but you might want to look into it.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I think we're on the same page. That's what I was getting at.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Dollars to donuts the dog was walking the owner, on a retractable leash, instead of heeling properly.
]

(R.I.P. Major 6/03-4/10/17)
In this case, no. 2 dogs escaped from fenced yard and went hunting. They had attacked a neighbors lab mix prior to moving on and finding us in the park. The lab wasnt hurt, I guess due to his size. But my 12 pound yorkie mix was a snack and BOTH of them had him in their jaws.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a Citronella spray specifically for dogs. It works like mace, but does not harm the dog permanently. Not sure if it would be enough to stop an attack by a boxer or pit bull, but you might want to look into it.
Citronella sprays are more of a smell deterrent then anything. I would put $$ on this being ineffective against most dog attacks just based on that alone. (If Cujo is set on kill mode, I doubt a 'bad smell' would stop him from using Fido as a chew toy).

Also it's a pesticide and has serious health issues associated with it's use. Granted it's a limited exposure, and i understand your point, but it's not entirely "harmless". Not to mention what level is it citronella vs propellant? And is the propellant non-flammable? (Let's face it, this is a cigar site and we probably are going to have an ignition source nearby...).

With most OC products are ECD (taser) tested safe. So I can use the entire jumbo can and break out the X26 (or drop my cigar...) and go until my battery drains and not worry about a fire.