What's new

Rocky & Gurkha Does Anyone Like Them?

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
We tend to band every cigar made by a company together with the name on the box whilst forgetting that there are a number of companies that have cigars subbed out to them by both Rocky and Hansotia.

AJ Fernandez was huge when the Deisel hit the market, what would have happened if it were called the Gurkha Deisel? Would it have been received as well? I mention AJ because he has blended cigars for Gurkha as well as Padilla, Nica Libre and Graycliff.

Every once in a while I have one of my kids or my wife pick me out a cigar from my assorted stash (cigars out of my rotation or gifted/traded cigars that I've yet to try) and remove the band. I've been pleasantly surprised at how many "old friends" I've become reacquainted with and at the number of wallflowers that stepped up to dance.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Did a quick check and found these Rocky and Gurkha blends that AJ did, I'm sure there are more.

Rocky Patel Fusion
Rocky Patel Triple Fusion
Rocky Patel Double Maduro
Rocky Patel Signature

Gurkha Park Ave
Gurkha Sherpa
Gurkha Microbatch S-2
Gurkha Microbatch C-10
Gurkha Microbatch TPB-1

For the record I've only tried the Park Avenue and pitched it a third of the way into it.

cigarhombre

Broadleaf addict
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
RP Decade, SG
Gurkha Legend (very good w/ 2+ yrs. age), Nepalese Warrior, Centurion. I recently smoked a Status from a few yrs. back that was good, if you want a mild cigar.

see there's a few out of a hundred that are good smokes

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Every once in a while I have one of my kids or my wife pick me out a cigar from my assorted stash (cigars out of my rotation or gifted/traded cigars that I've yet to try) and remove the band. I've been pleasantly surprised at how many "old friends" I've become reacquainted with and at the number of wallflowers that stepped up to dance.
This is a great idea... sometimes i find it hard to want to light somthing with a certain band on it, but when I do (after a while since the last time) I find that i am usually not as disappointed in the stick as memory served...

Rating - 80%
4   1   0
i just think its funny that alot of people stay away from them because of what everyone says, and also people seem to try to compare them to alot pricier sticks. i like alot of the gurkhas as a every now and then smoke yeah i can see not going through all the blends to find any you like but if your looking to try to find new things and still exploring through brands i dont think you should really discard anything. i have found quite a few gurkhas that i really enjoy that i probley would not of found if i took others opinions on the brand. just my thoughts

**im in my shop and trying to type really fast probley alot of spelling issues in here

plus gurkhas are always on sale for a reason i really dont know anyone who has paid full price for one haha, so dont base their taste on the MSRP for you rarely if ever pay that,look at a signature 101 maduro for what it is, you can grab em all day long on cbid for like 5-10 bucks a 5er

by the way i like the signature 101 maduro, centurion, empires II and V, blue steel, quite a few of em

Last edited:

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Only if I'm drunk????.........what did I win:grin:
:applause: :hysterica Best answer to the thread!!!!

When I'm to wasted to care what a cigar will taste like let alone be able to taste it...I keep some RP Edge lights on-hand.
Seriously though, the Edge series (Maduro, Regular, and Light) are about the only RP I do like. As far as Gurka, well I think I've smoked enough bad ones to a point where I don't even consider smoking one ever again.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I don't really like any of them. Too many times (in my early smoking days) were my fingers stained from Rocky's dyed wrappers. And every Ghurka I've had tasted like roofing tar and rat feces.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
:applause: :hysterica Best answer to the thread!!!!

When I'm to wasted to care what a cigar will taste like let alone be able to taste it...I keep some RP Edge lights on-hand.
Seriously though, the Edge series (Maduro, Regular, and Light) are about the only RP I do like. As far as Gurka, well I think I've smoked enough bad ones to a point where I don't even consider smoking one ever again.

The truth will set you free brother:wink:

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
When RP's Edge first came out (I think around '04 or '05), it didn't have a band and was in a large box... it was an amazing cigar... especially for the price. I believe Nestor Plasencia made these cigars for Rocky in his Danli, Honduras factory. I went from those to his vintage lines and smoked them over a 6 month period. I even kept a few.

At the time RP actually opened up cigar trips for consumers and I went on a RP trip for nearly a week, staying at a rented villa near Danli, Hondorus. I learned a lot, smoked even more, and partied my butt off. This trip was in '06.

Anyway, I stopped smoking his stuff after the trip... I was burned out and wanted something new/different. I later took out those older cigars from my humidor and compared it to more recent blends in late '07, comparing the older Cigars to the newer Cigars on the market. The blends did change and they weren't as enjoyable. Maybe my palate changed, but I doubt it.

RP's stuff is simply not as good as it used to be. Therefore, I never smoke his stuff any more. The other thing that I don't understand is when I smoke RP's stuff (but not the vintage line... ) I get a very prominent blotchy coloring on my fingers that are holding the Cigar... It's not the typical stuff that you'll occasionally see with a Maduro or Oscuro . It's extremely prominent like a dye... I see it with a Perdomo sometimes. I suspect they are not entirely Maduros due to fermentation and primings.

I will not try a RP again... I've only smoke a Gurka once and felt it was overpriced. If you like medium-to-full body cigars there's better stuff on the market.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never tried a Gurkha. Have had some decent RP's, the 1961 and the Famous Smoke Signature Series which I preferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dowjr1

Dan O
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haven't tried any Gurkhas. But I have smoked plenty of Rockys...Edge, Decade, and Vintage 92 are solid. But by far my favorite is the original Patel Bros...Lancaster wrapper baby and it is right on. One of my favorite smokes period.

Klusterbuck

Corrupted At An Early Age
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I was gifted an RP once... prelight, it smelled awesome.... I mean seriously it smelled like it had been stored between the legs of a virgin for a yr or so.... my mouth was watering, and I couldn't light it fast enough......... an inch into it, I through it out.... Bitter, and metalic....... I was thoroughly upset.