What's new

Rocky & Gurkha Does Anyone Like Them?

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I was really excited about an Edge Missle Maduro I was gifted a while back. When I got around to smoking it a few weeks back, I was sadly disappointed. Not only did it turn my fingers brown, but it had HORRIBLE draw issues and got very harsh way too soon. I was disappointed because it looked like such a delicious, chocolately cigar. I guess the marketing of the dyed wrapper worked on me!

But other than that, I don't mind RP's... Just so many other cigars in my humidors to try out, before I would go out and buy any RP's.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
I was really excited about an Edge Missle Maduro I was gifted a while back. When I got around to smoking it a few weeks back, I was sadly disappointed. Not only did it turn my fingers brown, but it had HORRIBLE draw issues and got very harsh way too soon. I was disappointed because it looked like such a delicious, chocolately cigar. I guess the marketing of the dyed wrapper worked on me!

But other than that, I don't mind RP's... Just so many other cigars in my humidors to try out, before I would go out and buy any RP's.
are you sure you washed up properly before smoking???:smokingbo

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I grabbed an RP vintage 1992 6 x 60 last night that has been sitting for a couple years. Was a damn fine cigar.....and I don't like fat ring gagues. This one was just really good.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
After seeing this top 100 posts, and sitting here reading them all...I had to chime in.

I do enjoy (or have in the past) the RP Edge and their Decades (91 & 92?)

As far as Gurkha, I can't say I have ever made it through one. I have tried my damdest, but my taste buds, and Gurkha tobacco must be incompatible... ha ha! A few weeks ago, I was hanging out with some BOTL in Phoenix at a Gurkha event and I have never seen so many cigars with only an inch smoked laying dead in ash trays before... I tried 2 of them at that event and couldn't get very far before putting them down.

Like I said, might be that I am just not compatible with the Gurkha stuff, but to each their own right?

All that being said, I would be willing to continue and experiment to see how the other lines might fare for me... I just won't be spending my money on a roll of the dice, when i know what I DO like, and can just move my hand 12 inches to the left and snag a sure winner.

my .02... fun thread to read BTW.

ama

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I like the Winter Blend, Decade Limitada and Patel Brother...sometimes. I really don't smoke too many RPs though. I had a fiver of OWR maduros that were out of this world, sent my last one away though to a buddy.

Gurkha...not so much. Centurion was the only one I ever liked. I have a few with some age on them and I smoke one occasionally, but when they are gone I doubt I'll replace them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit that I do enjoy quite a few Gurkhas (Beast, Titan, Warlord, Ancient Warrior, Fuerte, Shaggy, Centurian, Crest & Evil) and can say I like the RP Decade & Edge series. Most of the Gurkhas I enjoy are older lines that go back before they became the 'new blend every week' company that they are today. I hardly ever try the new sticks becuse of the ridiculous hype, over-exagerated rarity and poor quality control. The only reason I tried the Evil was that I received one as a gift.

The bottom line is that everyone's palate is different and you have to smoke what YOU enjoy. For me, I'll pass on the Opus X for a Tatuaje or LfD almost every time. Just don't let others decide for you.

maestrobasser

@maestrobasser
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RP's: Decade, Patel Brothers, 1961, Edge, OWR, 1992s- all good smokes, and in about that order. Consistancy varies, but typically all good and in current "rotation". :)

Gurkha- Nepalese Warrior, Empires, Blue Steel, G3. That's about it.

cigarhombre

Broadleaf addict
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been gifted 2 RP's. One was a Cuban Blend Lancero (natural) that I couldn't find anything wrong with. I didn't think it was the worst stick I ever smoked. I'm probably gonna try the 1961 in a few hours, or sometime tomorrow afternoon.

For me the equalizer is just tasting blind (gf usually does this with all my cigars - "pick one and bring it out to me" unbanded, or paper taped if it's tight/sticky). If it fares well, then I get more.

This of course does break the template of 3 tries on a cigar, but you make concessions based on your current circumstances. There is no way a new smoker can try every single line available on a reasonable budget. My method is working well for me. I also have a Gurkha that hasn't come out yet.

Not meaning to thread jack but how many of you do this every so often, or always? Blind tasting?

It keeps me on my toes, not knowing if my next stick will be a past favorite, a new cigar with amazing reviews, or the 2.00$ stick from the CI sampler.

Edit: Finished the 1961. 0-2 on RP follow up purchase worthy sticks for me.
I do blind tasting all the time. When I send out trades I usually put in a cigar w/o a band. And for the people who have hated on Gurkha, I send them an un-banded Gurkha.....and guess what...They like them, and always ask what it was.

I like RP Decades with a year or more on them. As for Gurkha; I like many, nepalese warrior, legend, tripple ligero, double maduro, class regent....all are in my humi. right next to my GOF, Anejos, and other "elitest" sticks. I don't get into what's trendy, I will smoke a cigar if it is good; no matter what the label says. And I hate LP Flying Pigs.

I'm with Nate on this...what's "cool", and what's shunned...all BS to me. :stickbeat

Psojka RP,601

This place IS my vacation
Rating - 94.7%
19   1   0
I do blind tasting all the time. When I send out trades I usually put in a cigar w/o a band. And for the people who have hated on Gurkha, I send them an un-banded Gurkha.....and guess what...They like them, and always ask what it was.

I like RP Decades with a year or more on them. As for Gurkha; I like many, nepalese warrior, legend, tripple ligero, double maduro, class regent....all are in my humi. right next to my GOF, Anejos, and other "elitest" sticks. I don't get into what's trendy, I will smoke a cigar if it is good; no matter what the label says. And I hate LP Flying Pigs.

I'm with Nate on this...what's "cool", and what's shunned...all BS to me. :stickbeat
+1 buddy...on everything you just said.

I love the Decade.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I enjoy a lot of Rocky blends including Decade, OWR, Edge (esp. Sumatra...my fav Rocky), 1990, 1992 and one or two of the seasonal blends. I wasn't that impressed with Patel Bros, 1961, Fusions (any of them).

As far a Gurkha's go, they are enjoyable smokes, are very consistant and well made. I think Gurkha gets a bad wrap because of all the off-blend that they do for places like CI, etc... That being said, I don't buy them because they are also WAY overpriced because of the packaging. I don't think they warrant $13-$15 (NY Prices) a stick. I'd be a fan at around $8-$9 a stick though and they would become reg. rotation in my humidor at that price.