What's new

Saints & Sinners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I'm not going to take part in the debate, hear, as it seems feelings are getting hurt. I'm spoken my piece about the LE-driven marketing before, and I think everyone knows I'm on Team Pete, lol.

That being said ... Danilo, if you know of somewhere to get Viaje regulars at "highly discounted prices," please let me know! I like 'em. (My issue is not with the sticks themselves, I just wish they had more regular releases instead of 95% LEs.)
LOL....I love how you are "...not going to take part in the debate.." yet, you toss in your opinion!

Ain't enough o's in smooth :)

Rating - 96.7%
32   1   0
The escalation of future prices have to do more with the mainland Chinese willing to pay crazy prices to corner the market for the best Bordeaux:

http://winecrushblog.com/?p=1871

Just like markets for other commodities, escalating current market prices drive up future contract prices.
To an extent this may be true. 2006, 2007, and 2008 weren't that expensive at all compared to 2009. Not even 1st growths touched the sky high prices of 2009. That has nothing to do with the Chinese. The Chinese I'm sure have been buying wine for more than 2-3 years, because most of all these 2009 Bordeauxs haven't hit the market to this day. So if they are buying up that much wine then the 2006-2008 futures would have been much higher. The only reasons these years didn't do as well is all do to pre-release ratings from critics. If Parker hadn't already said that 2009 would be the greatest vintage ever, trust me, no one would be paying these prices.
It is all speculation, like the oil market. If Robert Parker dips into a bunch of barrels in Bordeaux before the wine has even reached the bottle and calls it those wines of that vintage "legendary", then that is what drives up pricing. Robert Parker's word has become waaayyy too powerful in the wine world when it comes to speculative pricing. And many wineries, including 1st growths, take advantage of this. But all the other chateau's benefit from it as well, so it is a win-win for everybody except the consumer. Have you ever noticed how many of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th growths have changed their vinification styles to meet the palate of Robert Parker? Mix one part good merlot, one part cabernet franc, a lot of oak, and overextraction and Parker will be all over it.

Oh and by the way,.........2009 is very good! I had the pleasure of drinking several bottles and even the cheaper wines are packing a punch worthy of age.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
That's quite a hefty price tag... But then again, we don't know what it includes, so it could be an amazing deal. Maybe Pete will get back in here and answer that for us.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
IIRC, the first s&s thread said $150. With that you get 15 cigars, plus the other club benefits. But, at that time the whole thing was still a work in progress.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
IIRC, the first s&s thread said $150. With that you get 15 cigars, plus the other club benefits. But, at that time the whole thing was still a work in progress.
Thanks, That makes it worth it. 10 bux a stick, plus a bunch of benefits (news etc...) Sounds good!

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Guys, keep the thread on track. No need to discuss any other cigars other than Petes. It's bad enough there is already way too much hype and not really a lot of info on the release date.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Bill is right...This choo choo is on the Saints and Sinners track, now.

Derailing is not permitted!

This release sounds interesting...I am intrigued.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
How much is way too much hype. It's a cigar board for damn sake. What else do we have to get hyped about. The more post the better the more brothers the better the more hype the better. Better for the people that run the circus

Last edited:

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
How much is way too much hype. It's a cigar board for damn sake. What else do we have to get hyped about. The more more post the better the more brothers the better the more hype the better. Better for the people that run the circus
Brian, why so harsh? You know we strive to be nutty. It's just the way it is. I call it "the new frontier".

Look at it this way, there sure are a lot of great sticks out there in comparison to 10-15 years ago (NC's anyhow). Just think of all the post's and conversation that would have been going on here in say 1995. How many cigar makers would you be having conversations with?

As most know and I am sure agree, Pete's stuff don't suck. It seems that not only are his cigars of great quality, but what goes into creating each blend is more than just wrapping a bunch of leaves together. Each cigar seems to have a story and sometimes a twist which to me adds to the excitement and experience of the cigar.

I think that's what drives the excitement in Pete's site. We get a chance to experience the thoughts and stories as his new blends are created. The added opportunity of taking part in "pre-tasting" his blends before market release is an added bonus all of his followers look intensly forward to I'm sure.

Again, that's my thoughts. But, who am I ?

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I think that's what drives the excitement in Pete's site. We get a chance to experience the thoughts and stories as his new blends are created. The added opportunity of taking part in "pre-tasting" his blends before market release is an added bonus all of his followers look intensly forward to I'm sure.

Again, that's my thoughts. But, who am I ?
Scott, I'll tell you what does suck about that part (what I highlighted) It's the wait, after having smoked 1 pre-release... Knowing you have to wait for it, that part really really really sucks!!! It's a great experience, and I personally think it's a great thing that some guys do (Pete and JD just to name 2). They are letting you try something out, that not everyone gets a chance to smoke, often way before it is released. I find that part really cool. I enjoyed smoking some pre-release stuff, and I am fortunate enough to get some test blends here and there, every few weeks. Makes my day when someone says "here, smoke this, let me know what you think" and it's a test blend, specially when it's incredible!

Status
Not open for further replies.