What's new

Sayings you HATE!!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My co-worker, who has a masters in English, so I just take her word for it..can't stand what she calls the constant improper use of the word "impact"

She says it only means to push in, like an impacted tooth.

She points to examples like, " The northeast is really being impacted by this weather"

Now I notice this all the time but haven't actually researched her claim.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
My co-worker, who has a masters in English, so I just take her word for it..can't stand what she calls the constant improper use of the word "impact"

She points to examples like, " The northeast is really being impacted by this weather"

"Impact" is a noun and not a verb -- that's what bugs me about its usage. If you want to make it an action, you should say "have an impact on."

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
"That being said..."

I use to work for someone that overused it to death. It was almost like a nervous reaction, like saying um or uh as a sentense break.

"It is what it is"

Is a close second.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
When people misuse the word bring. For example, "bring it back to where you got it" or "can you bring me to the airport tomorrow".

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also hate the usage of the word "amazing."
+100. "Amazing" is value-neutral -- something can be amazingly good or amazingly bad. And "amaze" should refer to something truly special or unusual, not something that happens several times per day. I had to copy-edit that word out of my wedding website recently -- the fiance wouldn't listen to my explanation, though.

Other words used improperly, with varying degrees of annoyance: hopefully, literally, fortuitous, travesty, ironic.

Things that make my eyes bleed: could of/would of/should of, suppose to/use to, less instead of fewer, loose instead of lose.

I could probably go on forever.
I wasnt even gonna chime in until the "loose" for "lose" usage. It is so commonly, incorrectly written, it drives me F'n nuts. Its not that hard to get it right. WTF is the problem with writing this word correctly. See what you did, now you got me nuts. Im gonna loose my mind !!!!!! And yes, that was an intentional misuse of the written word for lose. I just couldnt resist !!!!!!!

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
+100. "Amazing" is value-neutral -- something can be amazingly good or amazingly bad. And "amaze" should refer to something truly special or unusual, not something that happens several times per day. I had to copy-edit that word out of my wedding website recently -- the fiance wouldn't listen to my explanation, though.

Other words used improperly, with varying degrees of annoyance: hopefully, literally, fortuitous, travesty, ironic.

Things that make my eyes bleed: could of/would of/should of, suppose to/use to, less instead of fewer, loose instead of lose.

Okay. That's it. You and I are hanging it this summer.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0

Okay. That's it. You and I are hanging it this summer.
My words like those are irregardless conversate and most adverbs people don't put the "Ly" on. But those aren't really sayings.

IMHO slightly annoys me because I assume it's your opinion if you're saying it especially if I asked for it ...let me know when it's NOT your opinion lol

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

im·pact
noun
noun: impact; plural noun: impacts
ˈimˌpakt/

the action of one object coming forcibly into contact with another.
"there was the sound of a third impact"
synonyms: collision, crash, smash, bump, bang, knock More
"the force of the impact"
the effect or influence of one person, thing, or action, on another.
"our regional measures have had a significant impact on unemployment"
synonyms: effect, influence, significance, meaning; More
consequences, repercussions, ramifications, reverberations
"the job losses will have a major impact"

verb
verb: impact; 3rd person present: impacts; past tense: impacted; past participle: impacted; gerund or present participle: impacting
imˈpakt/

come into forcible contact with another object.
"the shell impacted twenty yards away"
synonyms: crash into, smash into, collide with, hit, strike, ram, smack into, bang into, slam into More
"a comet impacted the earth sixty million years ago"
North American
come into forcible contact with.
"an asteroid impacted the earth some 60 million years ago"
press firmly.
"the animals' feet do not impact and damage the soil as cows' hooves do"
have a strong effect on someone or something.
"high interest rates have impacted on retail spending"
synonyms: affect, influence, have an effect on, make an impression on;
hit, touch, change, alter, modify, transform, shape
"high interest rates have impacted retail spending"

Origin
early 17th century (as a verb in the sense ‘press closely, fix firmly’): from Latin impact- ‘driven in,’ from the verb impingere (see impinge).

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Drives me nuts when football announcers refer to the football as "that ball". Merlin Olsen was the worst. I almost couldn't watch games he called because it seemed every other phrase was "that ball".

Just about any word made up/combined to promote a product.

"NY style Pizza" - this is cropping up in Charlotte a lot. But all the places using it have different pies. So which one is it? OH... and I don't care if it IS NY style pizza anyway.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
This isn't so much what ppl say as it's a question a lady at work asks me all the time.

Our washroom is next to the copier. I go to the can for any reason(piss it crap) when I come out she is standing there and always asks the same thing. "What were you doing in there"

Wtf who asks this.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Tell her the truth....

Taking a (insert her first name here).... when I finished.. I wiped my (insert her last name here).....

she probably wont ask again :)