What's new

Show us your latest beverage purchase

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
That happens so often sadly. I filter Dirt Wolf at work on almost a weekly bass but we were out of it in the brewery retail shop for a month or more. Distributors get their share first and it seems like further from home base usually gets shipped to first.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I just picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon and am really enjoying it. Although I do drink it straight up with a giant ice ball, I've also created a drink I've called "The Wet Plate" (being a photographer and all). It's a take on the Old Fashioned:
  • 3 parts bourbon (go big or go home)
  • 1 sugar cube
  • Fee Brothers'™ Peach Bitters
  • 1 fresh orange wedge
  • 1 brandied cherry

Put the sugar cube in the glass and drench it with 14-15 drops of the bitters (you can also use regular sugar). Squeeze the juice from the orange wedge into the glass, add the bourbon, and then stir until all the sugar is dissolved. Then peel off two or three strips of the rind from the orange, put it in the glass, garnish with the cherry and add ice (again, I like using a 2½" ice ball).

I really like it with a Fuente Hemingway.

BuffaloTrace.JPG

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although I do drink it straight up with a giant ice ball.....

View attachment 36617

Could be common knowledge to most but since I learned only earlier this year, may help someone...if you want to make ice balls for your whiskey (less surface area, melts much slower)...

Fill up a water balloon, stick it in your freezer for 24 hours.

They sell ice ball makers upwards of $1,000...but that is crazy talk unless you own a bar and want it for the presentation. Just buy some water balloons.

There will be a tiny, barely noticeable flat surface where the ball sits, but the rest will be a near perfect sphere.

Presto.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Fill up a water balloon, stick it in your freezer for 24 hours.<snip>

Presto.
Great idea! My wife found a silicone mold for about $12.

PSA - Give those large ice balls plenty of time to thoroughly freeze. The first time I made them, I put one in my drink after it had about 4 hours to freeze. It felt solid but after about 3 minutes, a hole opened up and flooded my drink with about an ounce and a half of chilled water. Damn!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fill up a water balloon, stick it in your freezer for 24 hours.<snip>

Presto.
Great idea! My wife found a silicone mold for about $12.

PSA - Give those large ice balls plenty of time to thoroughly freeze. The first time I made them, I put one in my drink after it had about 4 hours to freeze. It felt solid but after about 3 minutes, a hole opened up and flooded my drink with about an ounce and a half of chilled water. Damn!

Very good advice! I almost mentioned this....but this is sound advice.

After 4 to 6 hours, you will be convinced that the ice ball is ready to be put to use. I even knew about this but thought mine was different and took it out early, haha.

The middle will not be frozen no matter how solid it feels.

Best bet is to leave it in there for 24 hours, but, it's your whiskey, just wanted to back rdomfoto here on the sound advice.