What's new

Show us your latest leaf purchase

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ask 10 people, get 11 answers. It's all subject to personal preference. I use wholeleaftobacco.com for my filler, and leafonly.com for my binder and wrapper (also Ecuadorian habano seco filler), and I use rollerschoice for Dominican ligero.

Finally jumped on a lb of corojo ligero to sample. Will be swapping the piloto Cubano ligero with this in my triple ligero blend. And see if that works better for my tastes even though the blend is excellent as is imo
Why did you choose different places to buy one or the other? Did you not like the quality of the tobacco?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not saying they do. But I think they roll them, don't they? Or at least they may turn you on to some rolling event guys, and they would know where to get or be able to furnish you some. Point is, you're down there in cigar making land. Gotta be someone close by.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Why did you choose different places to buy one or the other? Did you not like the quality of the tobacco?
For my tastes, the quality of filler is better at WLT, I prefer the wrapper and binder that LO has. When it comes to Dominican fillers, rollerschoice has the best, he is just limited on variety.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think first you have to uncouple "the quality of the leaf" from "different places to buy". These two aspects are not related. For example, bliss's fave leaves from Jorge at Roller's Choice are super high quality, burn well, are extremely easy to work with, and make a very nice looking cigar. I just don't like the flavor. The next guy might. I just this weekend tried his wrapper over LO habano. Jorge's wrapper smells just snootariffic. Strong spicy raisin. Delectable. Tastes just awful to me. The next guy may dig it. I don't. I tossed my Jorge perfecto in half a dozen puffs, then nubbed a perfecto made from LO wrapper over WLT criollo seco, LO Honduran seco, and LO Honduran viso. The two suppliers together made a cigar I savored for an hour and a half. The other I couldn't stand for five minutes.

Next, you have to uncouple the supplier's leaf from what batch of leaves that supplier currently has. Leaf is an agricultural product, so supplies differ vastly from year to year and shipment to shipment. For example, WLT's habano 2000 was my go to wrapper last year. For my taste, and for the stretch my perfectos demand, this was head and shoulders above anything else I tried. Easy to work with, super stretchy, delicate, tasted great, and made a fine looking stick. Alas, that batch is gone. His more recent H2k is veiny, darker, and somewhat fire resistant. Nothing he can do about that. At present, I far prefer the Ecuadorian shade habano seco wrapper from LO. Don't like the flavor as much; but it sure makes a pretty cigar. Way darker, tho, than the H2k I used last year.

What leaf you like is not about what supplier you use. It's about what batch he got last.

The supplier can, however, offer better service. WLT ships same day in impervious heat sealed super thick bags which keep their baccy in good shape forever. LO ships when they bloody well get a round tuit and not a moment sooner, in a thin unsealed baggie. A phone call of complaint to WLT provokes instant good results. LO, not so much. Roller's Choice (Jorge) ships quick enough, but in what appears to be a trash bag rolled up. He does throw in extra measure, though. Casual packaging makes it easy for LO to offer 1/4 lb samples of most everything they sell. That's a great advantage when you are not sure what to try. For example, I scored a quarter of LO's Ec shade viso, ligero, and seco wrappers. Vast diff between the three. Easy cheap way to find out.

Best road to good results is to listen to other guys here about what they may have recently bought.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There are not too many cigar rolling events locally and when they are you have to buy a box of "X" to get 2 cigars. As far as peeps knowing where to get leaves, the most I have gotten back is, Why not just buy em? My response is I like the craft and they still don't have any idea.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There are not too many cigar rolling events locally and when they are you have to buy a box of "X" to get 2 cigars. As far as peeps knowing where to get leaves, the most I have gotten back is, Why not just buy em? My response is I like the craft and they still don't have any idea.
I like WLT's starter kits. There are several blends to choose from, all are good, a kit is only like 30 bucks, comes with glue, filler, binder, & wrapper. He says a kit makes 20; but you can actually make 40 or 50. Try one of those. Good place to start.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I like WLT's starter kits. There are several blends to choose from, all are good, a kit is only like 30 bucks, comes with glue, filler, binder, & wrapper. He says a kit makes 20; but you can actually make 40 or 50. Try one of those. Good place to start.
I agree with this 100%

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying they do. But I think they roll them, don't they? Or at least they may turn you on to some rolling event guys, and they would know where to get or be able to furnish you some. Point is, you're down there in cigar making land. Gotta be someone close by.
The closest place for leaf, that I've found, is Ybor city about an hour and a half drive. Even there I haven't found a place to buy leaf. Though one of the best tobacco distributors is there. Oliva tobacco only sells to licensed manufacturers and many of the big boys. I wish we could buy from them. Their stuff is excellent.

I tried to buy some from Tabanero but they wouldn't even sell me cigar glue much less tobacco leaf. I do understand it's not in their best interest.

http://www.olivatobacco.com/menu.html

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So I have a few samples inbound from leafonly. Included in the order is some Besuki wrapper as I can't remember smoking anything wrapped with that leaf and I enjoy trying new things. Anyone here have any experience with the leaf and/or an idea of what flavors to expect from this leaf. My google-fu is not turning up any specific information and I want to get some bunches in the mold to wrap with the stuff when it hits.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I have a few samples inbound from leafonly. Included in the order is some Besuki wrapper as I can't remember smoking anything wrapped with that leaf and I enjoy trying new things. Anyone here have any experience with the leaf and/or an idea of what flavors to expect from this leaf. My google-fu is not turning up any specific information and I want to get some bunches in the mold to wrap with the stuff when it hits.
Mild, delicate, greenish, sometimes has purple spots and a vaguely dirt-menthol taste. Last year's batch anyway.Unusual neutral color and sometimes a dimpled texture.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Mild, delicate, greenish, sometimes has purple spots and a vaguely dirt-menthol taste. Last year's batch anyway.Unusual neutral color and sometimes a dimpled texture.
Sounds like I will just roll a bunch of my different house blends and then wrap a few of each with it and go from there. The "dirt-menthol" has me a little concerned as that doesn't sound like a flavor that would go well with any of my blends. Sounds like I can get some wild looking sticks from it though. Have a bunch of scrap broadleaf chunks that I have been saving to use as filler for some shade wrapped sticks, will probably try that same filler blend with the Besuki wrapper.