What's new

Show us your latest leaf purchase

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I don't. Quite tasty as is. Rolling up a batch with this wrapper now.

This box will hold three dozen. Parejos, cause the leaves are too small for my usual perfectos. Parejos are just such a snap to roll.

Corojp seco, Dom volado binder, KY sumatra wrapper. Tried both binding and wrapping with KY sumatra; but the raw baccy flavor overwhelmed the filler.
What's Larry's cost on a lb of that wrapper? I think you've sold me

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
What's Larry's cost on a lb of that wrapper? I think you've sold me
I have bought tobacco from Larry as well, and my impressions are very different from @webmost. I bought the following:
Ct broad leaf - Binder
Havana - Wrapper
PA - Wrapper

The binder and Havana wrapper were/are positively awful. Both were dreadfully under-fermented. The binder had this odd musty-citrus thing going on. The Havana wrapper was musty/musky/funky and 100% fire proof. The PA wrapper, while no where near the quality of the PA I've used from Leaf Only was decent, and after 3 months of age, burned reasonably well, but still not great. The PA wrapper is beautiful in appearance, so there was at least one positive.

I used all the binder before I knew how much I disliked it. I have most of a pound of Havana wrapper in long term storage, although I'm not sure I'll ever use it. I have 1/2-2/3lb of the PA wrapper that I'll likely use - I've been thinking about making some short/mix filler cigars. I will not be making any further orders from Larry. A shame really, I really liked the idea of supporting an actual Mom&Pop farm, but their tobacco is terrible.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have bought tobacco from Larry as well, and my impressions are very different from @webmost.

The binder and Havana wrapper were/are positively awful. Both were dreadfully under-fermented. .
Prolly not under-fermented so much as not fermented at all. I don't think Larry has a fermenting shed. Just a drying barn and a fire curing barn. He makes his living growing burley for Phillip Morris. Hang it and ship it, is all they do. If you want his stuff fermented, then you've got to do it yourself. The guys on the FairTradeTobacco forum will tell you how (http://fairtradetobacco.com/forums/35-Fermenting) -- kiln or pilon, take your pick. They like to do the whole shootin match themselves, over there, all the way from seedling to stogie. That's how they wind up rolling stuff you'd never find to buy, like Dixie Shade and Vuelta Abajo and Little Dutch and Amersfoort. Hell, they even make their own perique, their own chavettas. Way too much work for me. Time they put a seed in the ground until they fire up a stick, they've got more time invested than I can spare, unless I give up reading while crappin.

I've tried his PA and Habano. The Habano didn't want to burn and the PA was not my style. This Sumatra I like, even tho it is raw.
I can shoot you some if you want to send me an addy. Beware: use sparingly and the leaves are small.

Hey Don called me this morning from WLT. Tells me his latest batch of H2K is the exact super big, super stretchy, super good wrapper I've been craving. I'll prolly score me a lifetime supply. Have not found anything better for a fecto.

Remember:
gobblegobble

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Prolly not under-fermented so much as not fermented at all. I don't think Larry has a fermenting shed. Just a drying barn and a fire curing barn. He makes his living growing burley for Phillip Morris. Hang it and ship it, is all they do. If you want his stuff fermented, then you've got to do it yourself.
Thanks, some how I'd missed that detail. No need to send any, although I do appreciate the offer.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I believe that @blisscigarco has also experimented with some of Larry's leaf. Hopefully he can add his comments.
I smoked this torpedo last night. It was very good. The wrapper is Larry's "PA Broadleaf." (He doesn't list such a thing on his site, but that's what was hand-written on the label by him or his missus). I had the wrapper in storage for about 1.5 years. I don't know how long it had been out in the wild before that, since a previous owner sent it to me. I rolled this thing 4 or so months ago, I think. 6g each of Jorge seco/viso/ligero purchased March '16. I was curious to see how a well-aged unfermented wrapper would work out. Wrappers and lower primings need the least fermentation, in general; so I gave it a shot. The results were very good: it's a beautiful wrapper, burns perfectly, feels good, tastes decent. I nubbed this thing and was happy with it. Tasted like a pro cigar. If I had a kiln I'd buy a pound of that wrapper and try to treat it properly to see what happens...

Here it is pre-lube'n'roll:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Prolly not under-fermented so much as not fermented at all.
gobblegobble
I grew my own a few years ago, just for shits and giggles. It was lots of fun. I fermented all my harvest but i kept a bit aside to do a comparison. The unfermented was terrible! I can't imagine smoking unfermented tobacco, but then again that's just my opinion.
One thing I've always wondered is if very long aging (a few years) does the same thing as fermenting. I don't think so since aging does not have the temperatures needed to rid the leaves of ammonia.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I tried a few methods that I read about such as using a crock pot with water in it to provide heat and humidity to an insulated box. I did all sorts of things but could never keep the humidity high enough for some reason. I ended up using a box made of Styrofoam and a light bulb for heat. I sprayed the leaves and put them in plastic bags to keep them moist. I would check them every week to rotate them around and make sure they were moist. I controlled the temperature by leaving the top of the box open a bit. It took a couple of months but it was easy once I got the setup working.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I tried a few methods that I read about such as using a crock pot with water in it to provide heat and humidity to an insulated box. I did all sorts of things but could never keep the humidity high enough for some reason. I ended up using a box made of Styrofoam and a light bulb for heat. I sprayed the leaves and put them in plastic bags to keep them moist. I would check them every week to rotate them around and make sure they were moist. I controlled the temperature by leaving the top of the box open a bit. It took a couple of months but it was easy once I got the setup working.
Prolly depends a lot on where you live. In the tropics, as I understand it, they just dip 'em, pile 'em, and away they go. In Ontario, you start out so much cooler, and soon as you heat the air, it gotta get that much drier. Here in Dull-Aware, we go hot and damp all summer, then this time of year it's suddenly chilly and dry. So summer ought to be a good time to cure leaves here. FX Smith is in a place that's higher and cooler than here; but he makes his maduro in a cool basement by some secret method he won't say. Tells me it only takes, what'd he tell me, 3 days, 5 days. He's curing maduro for a cigar maker in the Dominican now, last we talked. Guy says he wants to buy Smith's secret, but Smith says show me the money, is where they are now. The guys at FTT are mostly curing in old fridges, from what I read; tho there's one guy simply puts his leaves in a bag on the dashboard of a derelict pickup in the yard. Gotta love that. That's my kind of practical.

But here's one thing puzzles me: You say you ferment to REMOVE ammonia. But isn't the fermentation exactly what MAKES ammonia ? Need a DIY geek to chime in here and settle the matter. I know for certain that if I put wet leaves away in a sealed bag they will start smelling like a diaper pail. I know when Smith pulls his wrapper out of the secret basement curing room, he spreads them out on a big floor in front of fans to blow off the ammonia. I'm saying I think you got that backwards. Fermenting creates ammonia, does not remove it.

I've used pale-colored raw CT shade ... no ammonia. Course, I've used fermented shade as well. My new fave wrapper is that EC seco shade from LO. That stuff's dark. I assumed it was fermented. My all time fave, tho, is the Habano 2k I used to get from WLT. Tan colored, about like this KY Sumatra, just less yellow. I assumed that was not fermented.

Anyway, I'm too lazy to ferment. Rather go wrench on a motorcycle.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Forgot to mention: Both WLT and LO have Black Friday sales. WLT is doing a five for four. I'd like to score five of his H2k, which he tells me is back up to the quality of the H2k wrapper I used to get from him. But five pounds of that wrapper is a lifetime supply. Far as LO, I'd love to score a couple of that Honduran seco and a couple Honduran viso. That stuff makes for a great base blend. Plus I'd love to try out that olor. It's just, I have so much tobacco on hand already that it's just plain nutz.

ReMix -- You up to splitting an order, save on shipping?

Anyone tried LO's olor? What's it like?

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Forgot to mention: Both WLT and LO have Black Friday sales. WLT is doing a five for four. I'd like to score five of his H2k, which he tells me is back up to the quality of the H2k wrapper I used to get from him. But five pounds of that wrapper is a lifetime supply. Far as LO, I'd love to score a couple of that Honduran seco and a couple Honduran viso. That stuff makes for a great base blend. Plus I'd love to try out that olor. It's just, I have so much tobacco on hand already that it's just plain nutz.

ReMix -- You up to splitting an order, save on shipping?

Anyone tried LO's olor? What's it like?
Well this is awesome news! Time to load up :) I'm gong to be soooooo broke by next Tuesday

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
But here's one thing puzzles me: You say you ferment to REMOVE ammonia. But isn't the fermentation exactly what MAKES ammonia ? Need a DIY geek to chime in here and settle the matter.
I did read about the chemical processes that take place when tobacco ferments, but that was a few years ago and I don't remember much. Whatever is going on produces ammonia as a byproduct. That is why we smell it. It it is produced and then goes off into the surrounding air. That's what I meant when I said, removing Amonia

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Re-stock of fillers I was dangerously low on. I use the corojo viso more than any other filler. Don and the crew were even so nice as to include a Christmas card.
Is this the Dominican ligero in your MM blend? I just ordered from LO with their 20% discount today...