What's new

Sleep study

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Yeah, last night was my first night. I havent checked to see if it adjusted, but i never felt a difference.
sometimes I wake up in middle of night and it feels leaky in the mask, so I power off the unit and power it back on and it starts at 4 again

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
4... My setting just got upped to 16 lol. And yeah, it'll take some getting used to. Like others have mentioned, my biggest adjustment was sleeping in a different position to make the mask comfortable. I'd like to lose weight to see if I could come off the machine, but with my medical history I don't think my apnea is completely weight related and I don't know if I could sleep without it now anyway.
Yeah, nobody ever went over my sleep results with me, but from what i can figure is that mine is not very bad. Weight loss may fix it, but i am working on that. Gonna follow up with the sleep doc himself after about a month of use.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
sometimes I wake up in middle of night and it feels leaky in the mask, so I power off the unit and power it back on and it starts at 4 again
What geta me, is the air flow will tickle a nose hair and you gotta scratch it. Other than that no leaks after day one.

Rating - 92.9%
20   1   0
Mine has the option to ramp up like that, but it always felt weird and restrictive to me so I disabled it. I don't remember what mine starts at, but 4 sounds right.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've been using a CPAP for 10 years. I don't even nap without it. The first night I used it made such a difference in the way I felt in the morning it was incredible. I had apnea really bad. 2nd worst they had seen at the lab at the time.
I had to keep trying masks until I found one that works and it covers my nose only. I use a chin strap to keep my mouth closed most of the time.

I took a week long trip to Memphis TN 2 summers ago and forgot the power cord to the CPAP So I had to sleep without it. It sucked, lol. Was constantly waking up.

i'd stay away from the soclean devices. Simple hand cleaning is enough. Just replace everything regularly.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Night 2 was worse than night one. I was so tired last night that i fell asleep in seconds. Then woke up a few mins later when my wife put the dogs to bed. Still couldnt keep my eyes open. Put the mask on and started the machine, all that changed. Laid there wide awake for 2 more hours, exhausted, but could not sleep. Then the damn thing ramped up to 12.5 out of nowhere, while i am awake, and i couldn't breathe because it was so strong. Reset the machine and tried again for another hour until i i couldnt take it. Shut it off and i was out cold in less than 5 mins.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
so I heard about these SoCleans to keep all your shit clean so you don't have to hand wash all the stuff, but damn $300... I go on ebay, found this little gadget, you get yourself a smaller tuppador and throw it in, and blamo same thing for $30 n change.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CPAP-Cleaner-and-Sanitizing-Machine-So-Clean-Kills-99-8-Germs-4X-POWERFUL-EASY/173097249388?epid=15020152386&hash=item284d666a6c:g:-DwAAOSw88Ra~tRz
I've been using a CPAP for 10 years. I don't even nap without it. The first night I used it made such a difference in the way I felt in the morning it was incredible. I had apnea really bad. 2nd worst they had seen at the lab at the time.
I had to keep retying masks until I found one that works and it covers my nose only. I use a chin strap to keep my mouth closed most of the time.

I took a week long trip to Memphis TN 2 summers ago and forgot the power cord to the CPAP So I had to sleep without it. It sucked, lol. Was constantly waking up.

i'd stay away from the soclean devices. Simple hand cleaning is enough. Just replace everything regularly.
I'm with Highlander, hand-washing is the way to go. Takes like five, ten minutes and you let it air dry....and it's free!

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Night 2 was worse than night one. I was so tired last night that i fell asleep in seconds. Then woke up a few mins later when my wife put the dogs to bed. Still couldnt keep my eyes open. Put the mask on and started the machine, all that changed. Laid there wide awake for 2 more hours, exhausted, but could not sleep. Then the damn thing ramped up to 12.5 out of nowhere, while i am awake, and i couldn't breathe because it was so strong. Reset the machine and tried again for another hour until i i couldnt take it. Shut it off and i was out cold in less than 5 mins.
What machine do you have? Mine has the ability to ramp it back down for 15 minutes and you can keep hitting the button to reset the timer. Really helps when you're first getting used to the pressure.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I would recommend wearing it while you are awake for extended periods when possible to get used to breathing with it on. It does requires me to exhale with more force than usual and that takes getting used to it. The ramp up setting may need to be adjusted. If yours is Bluetooth/WiFi capable, your doctor can change your settings remotely in some cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
What machine do you have? Mine has the ability to ramp it back down for 15 minutes and you can keep hitting the button to reset the timer. Really helps when you're first getting used to the pressure.
Its a slightly older model (2015) because it was affordable. It does have a modem and some other app features. They really did not show me how to use it. Kind of a quick set up and go. I made an appt with the actual sleep doc on monday to try and get some answers.
As far as breathing with it on, its not bad. Last night was the first time it ramped up like that. Not sure why. I guess we will see what the doc says.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I actually do not like the ramping at all. Mine goes full on as soon as I turn it on.
I have nights when I can't get to sleep but it's usually not the cpap.
Don't recall if yours has a humidifier but if it does only use distilled water.
When you exhale the machine should be sensing it and allow the outflow. If it's not something may be wrong.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Left it off last night amd slept like a rock. Felt good today. Trying it over again tonight. No biggie if i am a zombie on saturday.
And yes, it has a humidifier. Glad i keep distilled water on hand. Although this does not use much.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not satisfied talk to the doctor who prescribed the CPAP. It has to have a prescription. Also, the air flow is set by prescription. Also, the place that fitted the device and mask need to know. If it isn’t working for you go back and get it right. The have to take the mask and accessories back if you decide on a different mask. Keep trying masks until you find one that works. You can even experiment with the fit of the mask with the Velcro.

Most modern CPAP track everything. The software can track breathing events. They should be looking at the read outs to actually see how you are sleeping.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
If you are not satisfied talk to the doctor who prescribed the CPAP. It has to have a prescription. Also, the air flow is set by prescription. Also, the place that fitted the device and mask need to know. If it isn’t working for you go back and get it right. The have to take the mask and accessories back if you decide on a different mask. Keep trying masks until you find one that works. You can even experiment with the fit of the mask with the Velcro.

Most modern CPAP track everything. The software can track breathing events. They should be looking at the read outs to actually see how you are sleeping.
I am not sleeping though. Thats the problem.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
After having my surgery on my broken leg Tuesday, and being prescribed Percocet for the pain, I was informed that sleep apnea makes me more susceptible to opioid addiction? I had never heard that before, but it's in the printed literature the hospital sent me home with.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“I am not sleeping though. Thats the problem.”

My point is you need to go back and have them help you figure out if the unit isn’t set-up properly or you have the wrong accessories or it’s too noisy because you can’t get a good seal. It’s a combination of the hardware, software, set up or you. The people who provide the care are the only ones who can really help you. It’s like I felt claustrophobic until I found a new mask. It was ny doctor who suggested changing to a different style mask.

drjammer

No More Elvis Trump
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having my surgery on my broken leg Tuesday, and being prescribed Percocet for the pain, I was informed that sleep apnea makes me more susceptible to opioid addiction? I had never heard that before, but it's in the printed literature the hospital sent me home with.
Wow, I have never heard of that before o_O

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
“I am not sleeping though. Thats the problem.”

My point is you need to go back and have them help you figure out if the unit isn’t set-up properly or you have the wrong accessories or it’s too noisy because you can’t get a good seal. It’s a combination of the hardware, software, set up or you. The people who provide the care are the only ones who can really help you. It’s like I felt claustrophobic until I found a new mask. It was ny doctor who suggested changing to a different style mask.
I have an apt with the sleep doc tomorrow at 9. I am hoping he can help.
The claustraphobic thing explains why i was feeling hard to breathe last night trying to go to sleep. Not full on panic, but on the verge. Fingers crossed. I am all for better sleep, but i slept well before the mask.