What's new

Smoking a Verite as I type...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoked them both this morning with a fine fellow BOTL.

The La Verite (churchill) is smooth, yet strong. This cigar has been well aged. It needs no humi time. It is ready to go right out of the box, unlike, say, an Opus. The flavor profile changed, distinctly, three times. The first third was heavy on Malabar Red Pepper, but not in the typical DPG way. It was very spicy. The second third became much more savory with lots of cinnamon, and clove, and leather. Then the last third kicked in with beautiful flavors of caramel and lavender, while the body increased again.

The construction is flawless. It is a beautiful stick. The cigar is firm, yet delivers plenty of smoke volume. It is a highly nuanced stick, with significant flavor profile changes, ample strength, and enough complexity to interest the most seasoned cigar smoker. Pedro gave it all 5 hooves up, and I agree totally.

This cigar is a winner.

The L’esprit (robusto) had the same spice at first, and ended the same as the Churchill, but I do not believe it was as complex as the Churchill. Don’t get me wrong, it is a very good stick, easily as desirable as anything in the humidor, but I think the Churchill just had more complexity to it.

Either way you go, you can’t go wrong. Pete has done it (again). Pricey, but not common - an incredible special occasion stick.

Last thing, Neither cigar tasted like any other Don Pepin and/or Pete Johnson stick that I have ever smoked. Totally different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Thanks Sam for this review. Whould you say it's worth the price tag???
In light of the money I've wasted on Regional Limitadas in the last few months that have ended up smoking like the devil's asshole, hell yes. The La Verite, most certainly is worth the price. Warranted the price out of the box and with a little sleep time, it'll be a bargain. The Espirit; I'd put down for at least 6 months before firing one up...but I really should smoke 2 more before saying that.

Short answer: Yes.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
little update:

previously I mentioned similarities to cameroon in flavor; I should also mention the wrapper tobacco has cameroon's delicate nature. As I type this a co-worker is smoking the churchill vitola. Between the light and first few draws a small split traveled up about half the cigar. Handle these cigars with care.

Photo to follow.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Just smoked an Espirite and it exploded on me. Flavors were good but the construction was terrible. I hope it is a humidity problem that might work itself out over time but for the price the fact that it had a huge split down 2/3 of the cigar was a big turnoff.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I smoked a Verite a couple days ago and I got alot of the same notes. Specifically the surge in spice. I like that it didn't leave lingering flavors in my mouth, so I could taste it as it changed.

I haven't smoked the L'espirit yet.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just finished a La Verite and it was as expected. INCREDIBLE!!!!

I think i might just hoard the shipment and keep it all to myself.

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I keep hearing what people have to say about this cigar, it seems 50% absolutely love it, and the other 50% say it's ok and needs more time. Time to try one for myself! Hopefully in the next day or two, I know my local just got these in :)

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
In light of the money I've wasted on Regional Limitadas in the last few months that have ended up smoking like the devil's asshole, hell yes. The La Verite, most certainly is worth the price. Warranted the price out of the box and with a little sleep time, it'll be a bargain. The Espirit; I'd put down for at least 6 months before firing one up...but I really should smoke 2 more before saying that.

Short answer: Yes.
okay, this is the funniest thing I've read today, lol. Great review, by the way! You jerks are making me want to get a couple of these.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Exactly, I am wanting these more and more. At first I was gonna pre-order, then I had second thoughts. Now I am kicking myself. I can't make it to the nearest B&M for a while...baby is due this Sunday...so it might be even longer. Watch them be all gone when I get there. I knew I should've sold plasma and pre-ordered. Forget the back porch we're screening in and the baby crib. :crying:

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'm thinking my taste is skewed by what I smoke on a daily basis. I said medium side of mild-medium, my friend who smokes much lighter than I do is saying med-full on the verite and full on the robusto.