What's new

Smoking in the Humidor?

Is i OK to smoke in a humidor?

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Let me ask you one question! Has anyone here personally spent $40,000 dollars on purchasing cigars? If you answered yes then you probably do not and don't allow smoking in your walk-in humidor!
The guys I work for smoke in the humi all the time. They're the ones that spent all the money on the cigars. The humidor is at least 500 probably more like 600 sqft. I'll take it from my boss dudes who've been doing this for a while and to me they find it acceptable to smoke in the humidor. This humidor doesn't have shelves full of swishers either mind you.

carocaniac

i hope this lighter works
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The guys I work for smoke in the humi all the time. They're the ones that spent all the money on the cigars. The humidor is at least 500 probably more like 600 sqft. I'll take it from my boss dudes who've been doing this for a while and to me they find it acceptable to smoke in the humidor. This humidor doesn't have shelves full of swishers either mind you.
Hey that's called, "Paying the cost to be the boss!":wink:

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
That's because you have to be one of the "cool" guys and obviously neither of you are! :tonguerol However the sure fire way to get in the cool guy club is to send me a fiver of cigars rolled with Nicaraguan tobacco. :halfgrinw

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In the volume of a good sized walk-in, I don't think a few puffs is going to make a difference.

I don't go in there and smoke a whole cigar or anything like that, but if there's something I want to look at in the humidor and I'm smoking, I don't see a problem with going in there.

My B&M doesn't mind and their humidor smells just fine. I'd always respect the wishes of the owner though.

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
:dunno: I go to CI and Atlantic and smoke anywhere in the store. By plenty of cigars with no problem with the sticks

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
My local B&M used to allow smoking in the humidor, years ago. I went back years later and they had banned the practice. I never really thought much of it in my early days, however it kinda makes sense. I do not allow smoked cigars in my home humidor, so I had no problem adopting the new policy, the more I learned I just kringe thinking about smoking in the humidor.

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
As a rep for Reyes family cigars, I have been to my fair share of shops. One of them has a huge walk in humidor, and he allows smoking. I have also purchased from this establishment and never had an issue with the smokes in the humidor.
Scott

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
Love the smell of a walk in... but I've been in plenty of smoky ones too...

Were it up to me they would all be smoke free, but if it's your business to run...

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I voted "sure, why not", but that's presuming it's my walk in, or a walk in humidor located in a store where the management allows it. I read through all the posts, and one in particular caught my attention. He said something to the effect of "the one I go to doesn't allow it and they must have their reasons". They probably do, and if they're the owners/curators they get to make the decisions. However, doing what somebody else does, just because they do it, doesn't always get you where you want to go. There are a lot of decisions made based on "common knowledge", even in the cigar hobby world, that are just flat wrong. Not saying that prohibiting smoking in a humidor is one of them, but I think it's up to the owner/curator to make his own choice as to whether or not to allow it, and up to the customer to decide whether or not it matters to him.

Mark

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Where I work as I said we allow smoking in the humidor however we have a dusting problem. That might be because of the smoke in the humidor mixed with the humidity depositing itself on the cellophane. We use four large blower type humidifiers. So it may not be an issue of smoking but just any and all particulate in the air. All that means is we have to wipe the cellophaned cigars with a cloth to keep them looking pretty. It's like having a blower style heating system in your house it creates a lot of dust on all horizontal surfaces.

tenuki

Maduro Maniac
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Where is the 'Can't fit in my 20 ct box' option?

I kinda like the smell of the walk in humidors at the shops without the smoke, so I vote no, although I have no idea if it will spoil the cigars or not.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a B&M while in Texas for a few weeks. They not only allowed smoking in the walk-in, they had ashtrays at the end of every display case. The first thing I noticed when I walked into the humidor was that instead of the expected aroma of cedar and cigars my nose was assaulted by the smell of an ashtray. Instead of making the box purchase I had intended, I only picked up a couple of singles. They tasted fine and didn’t seem to have suffered from being in a foul-smelling humidor. I only went there once, during a Monte event, so I can’t say if it was normal for so many full (or partially full) ashtrays to be in there or not. Either way, the perception of the humidor affected my choice to make a purchase.

The B&Ms I frequent don’t allow it, so as a rule I don’t smoke in a walk-in even if it is allowed.