What's new

Smoking in the Humidor?

Is i OK to smoke in a humidor?

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
To me it seems to be going against what we try to accomplish with a humidor. We are trying to create a perfect state where cigars can be stored and aged properly. Then you add cigar smoke to the picture and it becomes unstable imho. I wouldn't want it to hurt the cigars in any way so I would never do it myself.
Why would cigar smoke make it unstable?

You realize that many of the workers smoke WHILE making cigars, right? They smoke as they walk through the barns with the tobacco bales and probably while they stack and restack bales, they smoke while harvesting I'm sure. These things are around smoke throughout their construction.

They really aren't that freaking sensitive. If they were then we'd see more airlocks on humidors...

I wouldn't go in there and smoke an entire cigar, but you aren't going to hurt anything if you smoke while you pick out your next cigar. People smoke in the humidor all the time at the shop I go to and there is never a problem with smells and it never affects the cigars.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Why would cigar smoke make it unstable?

You realize that many of the workers smoke WHILE making cigars, right? They smoke as they walk through the barns with the tobacco bales and probably while they stack and restack bales, they smoke while harvesting I'm sure. These things are around smoke throughout their construction.

They really aren't that freaking sensitive. If they were then we'd see more airlocks on humidors...

I wouldn't go in there and smoke an entire cigar, but you aren't going to hurt anything if you smoke while you pick out your next cigar. People smoke in the humidor all the time at the shop I go to and there is never a problem with smells and it never affects the cigars.
Well first of all barns are fairly open, rarely air tight with lots of air exchange. A walk in is a fairly closed environment, well sealed and the smoke re-circulates. It also gets into the humidification equipment, filters etc. Tars will build up and eventually the equipment will fail.

Last, I was in one of the highest class B&M's in the country, bought a box of cigars that was open for display. When i double checked the bottom of the box was full of cigar ash that someone has carelessly droppe din the box. I passed. Do you want em?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its strange...

i see all these pictures of tobacco fields, curing barns, fermentation chambers, blenders performing their craft, factories/rolling rooms, aging warehouses, etc...

all of the people there are smoking cigars all the time. yet as soon as we get it to a humidor at the local shop people throw a fit if a cigar is lit. the walk in humidor is one of the first places the tobacco has NOT been around cigar smoke.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Like Chuck said, it is not just about the cigar, but also the equipment.

However equipment aside, would you put a burnt cigar in your humidor? Or even blow a cloud of smoke in your humidor at home. I know I would not.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Absolutly not. I was doing an event last Friday and I walked into the humidor to talk with a customer and I was puffing on my cigar while i was hanging out in the walk in talking with the customer. I felt like a bit of a jackass once I realized it.

boomerd35

Living La Vida Smoka
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If I'm in a shop and I wanna check out the sticks, I ask first. If the answer is yes, then I go right in. If the answer is no, then I place it outside and then go in.
Exactly. Whatever the shop wants- simple as that. I would rather not put down a lit cigar to go into the humidor because I know my cigar will go out by the time I return from the humidor. But if the shop doesn't allow it, no big deal.

Psojka RP,601

This place IS my vacation
Rating - 94.7%
19   1   0
at my store we allow it. ONLY because we have a smoke eater in there too. ive heard alot of stories like "the smoke will get trapped in the cigars" and "They smoke when they roll, so why not?" i think that it really depends on the air filtration system a store has. we allow it and as soon as smoke is in the air, it gets pulled out of the room and into the piping that runs outside or where ever it runs haha.

working at a cigar lounge and shop has changed my opinion...we have the necessary equip. needed to handle and carry the smoke out so i am for it. however if a shop doesnt, i think that they stale smoke COULD get into the cigars and change the FLAVOR to something undesireable.

Again, i think that this is a case-by-case thing guys

peace and happy smoking

Paul

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
My B&M is one big place to smoke. Sticks are behind glass with humidification and they have a very good ventilation system. If someone wants to see my locker or I am going to flip them something, they leave their stick outside there is no ventilation system and it is a long hallways with steal screans for humidification.

Good thread and a number of reminders why it pays to be mindful of how you conduct yourself at a store, what stores you patronize, and why a little attention goes a long way.

Jack

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I chose that I can't fit in my Wineador, so it doesn't matter. That being said, my opinion on the matter is that it is bad practice. I dont' care what the ventilation system is, smoke in a humidor is bad thing.

The above doesn't really pertain to stores where the entire store is basically a humidor, but even in those, I think it has to have some effect.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it's a matter of degree. Smoking once, twice, 10 ten times probably wouldn't hurt but contrary to some beliefs an excessive exposure of smoke to any organic matter will change the flavor. For instance... If you put a cup of horse shit in a walk-in you probably would notice a thing but if I piled up a heap of of it and let it sit in there for a month, I'll bet you'd change your opinion. It's just a matter of degree. It's a plant. It's porous. In a closed room.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never been to a B&M that forbid smoking in a humidor. I'm quite surprised to hear that there are such places. Every place I've been to here in Europe allows it.

I remember my first time going into a humidor with a lit cigar; I hesitated and asked if it was allowed. I got a funny look from the store employee as if saying "why would you even ask, dahhh of course." He then explained to me what I heard earlier in this thread about the tobacco being around smoke in the fields, curing barn, factory, etc... And they also had a ventilator. People walking in and out of the humidor helps to circulate the air also.

I have however never seen anybody stand inside a humidor and smoke their entire cigar. I've only seen them pop in to choose cigars or say hi to an employee. Cigars are much better enjoyed in the lounge in a comfortable seat. Most people know that.

I think people over due it sometimes when it comes to cigars. Cigars are something special and I enjoy them very much. In general I hate forums, but I have spent the last 3 hours on this forum because I love the topic of cigars. They are cigars, not a gold tiffany diamond studded bracelet shit out by Zeus himself that needs to be hermetically sealed to reduce the decomposition rate (please note the pure sarcasm...no need for replies regarding erroneous technical arguments about diamonds, gold or decomp). A little more smoke won't hurt them. Common sense.

For you cigar store owners that have concerns for maintaining your ventilation system, by all means refuse your patrons smoke privileges in the humidor. It is your money to repair your ventilation system, not your patrons. Fair enough. This point I can see as valid. And it is common sense.

A full ashtray left anywhere long enough is really unpleasant to your sense of smell. Common sense.

I don't have an academic explanation. Can any of you brainiac types out there give a proven scientific explanation why cigars exposed to cigar smoke will dramatically change its quality or taste profile? I hear a lot of opinions but no fact. Anyone?? I’m sure the brothers would be interested in hearing.

Thanks for reading my rant on common sense.

Centro33

Smoke. Quaff. Sleep.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems most agree that this is a no-no. The reason is pretty simple, especially if you're smoking with others (which is kind of the point for most of us): if more than one guy smokes in a humidor that isn't the size of a city block, what you have, odor-wise, is an ashtray. I've seen it happen... or, should I say I've smelled it? Plus, there will always be the unintended ash drop right into a box of Epernays.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I don't have an academic explanation. Can any of you brainiac types out there give a proven scientific explanation why cigars exposed to cigar smoke will dramatically change its quality or taste profile? I hear a lot of opinions but no fact. Anyone?? I’m sure the brothers would be interested in hearing.

Thanks for reading my rant on common sense.

smoke stinks and and that is enough of a reason for me

Rev

Perfecto Lounge
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted NEVER as there wasn't a "depends" option.

If the shop is one big humidor and they have adequate ventilation, then yeah...should be OK. However, smoking in a humidor that is solely used for storage/display of cigars is definitely not something I would think is good for smokes.

Great point also about lit ash falling into a box of pristine puros...NOoooo!

Last edited:

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Kilo, just want to start with the comment that your reply is well thought out and well stated.

That said... I work at a B&M and the two things I don't allow in the walk-in are book bags(or shopping bags) and lit cigars/cigarettes in the humidor. The first one being obvious as we have theft issues in our shop and the later(lit tobacco products) for a couple reasons.... First off, we get customers in our shop that turn their nose to the smell of smoke coming from the lounge, many of our customers have children or a non-smoker with them. They can step in the humidor and smell the wonderful smell of cigars and cedar without any stale smell of smoke. I understand 1 smoker won't leave much of a trace but 30-40 smokers a week in for a few minutes leaves a stale stench behind.

We use a fresh air exchange unlike many shops which use smoke eaters, and even still.... smoke lingers!!! We light a Lampe Berger 2-3 times a day to rid the stale smell, and it works well. Personally I would rather not see anyone smoking in the humidor and the few I have told to leave their cigar/cigarette outside the humidor have never had a problem doing so.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Kilo, just want to start with the comment that your reply is well thought out and well stated.

That said... I work at a B&M and the two things I don't allow in the walk-in are book bags(or shopping bags) and lit cigars/cigarettes in the humidor. The first one being obvious as we have theft issues in our shop and the later(lit tobacco products) for a couple reasons.... First off, we get customers in our shop that turn their nose to the smell of smoke coming from the lounge, many of our customers have children or a non-smoker with them. They can step in the humidor and smell the wonderful smell of cigars and cedar without any stale smell of smoke. I understand 1 smoker won't leave much of a trace but 30-40 smokers a week in for a few minutes leaves a stale stench behind.

We use a fresh air exchange unlike many shops which use smoke eaters, and even still.... smoke lingers!!! We light a Lampe Berger 2-3 times a day to rid the stale smell, and it works well. Personally I would rather not see anyone smoking in the humidor and the few I have told to leave their cigar/cigarette outside the humidor have never had a problem doing so.
All shops should adhere to the practices you mention in my opinion. I have one question though.. Why would someone shopping in a tobacco shop turn their nose at the smoke coming from the lounge? That confuses me a bit as does bringing a small child into a smoke shop. That's just me though I guess.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
To these people, that voted, 'Sure, why not"

axi, Benzopyrene, bocker, boomerd35, Boosted, BrandonP, Broadway Joe, Brother Boss, cigarguy71, CigarNut, coastalgriff, cubancigarman, Dave, flathead59, Fox, fxbghokie, giantstogie, Hardcore, Hendy, huero71, itallushrt, jwintosh, keinreis, KiloWhiskey, lakeside toker, nickgonzo, orsonwelles, PepinAddiction, Perseus459, pirmigrin, Robinsond, SanCristobal, Saully, sirpantsornot, smokem94, smokinghole, SmoknStyx, Soundwave13, Tatuaje Guy, TheCigarKid, tmoney2007

I ask this? Do any of you guys have lockers in a local B&M? the reason I ask as I did not until last year. I got a locker at my B&M that are wrapped around the humi in the store drawing off the rh from the humi with the exterior where you get in open to the smoking area. I did not think much as these are sealed. Since I got my new cooler I took everything out of my locker and moved it. I was shocked how they stunk of stale smoke. It is one of those things you don't notice at the B&M, but get them home and :puke: I also wondered why the same cigars smoked in store did smoke as well as the ones I had at home. I love it when I open up my cooler and smell cigars and cedar not stale smoke.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To these people, that voted, 'Sure, why not"

axi, Benzopyrene, bocker, boomerd35, Boosted, BrandonP, Broadway Joe, Brother Boss, cigarguy71, CigarNut, coastalgriff, cubancigarman, Dave, flathead59, Fox, fxbghokie, giantstogie, Hardcore, Hendy, huero71, itallushrt, jwintosh, keinreis, KiloWhiskey, lakeside toker, nickgonzo, orsonwelles, PepinAddiction, Perseus459, pirmigrin, Robinsond, SanCristobal, Saully, sirpantsornot, smokem94, smokinghole, SmoknStyx, Soundwave13, Tatuaje Guy, TheCigarKid, tmoney2007

I ask this? Do any of you guys have lockers in a local B&M? the reason I ask as I did not until last year. I got a locker at my B&M that are wrapped around the humi in the store drawing off the rh from the humi with the exterior where you get in open to the smoking area. I did not think much as these are sealed. Since I got my new cooler I took everything out of my locker and moved it. I was shocked how they stunk of stale smoke. It is one of those things you don't notice at the B&M, but get them home and :puke: I also wondered why the same cigars smoked in store did smoke as well as the ones I had at home. I love it when I open up my cooler and smell cigars and cedar not stale smoke.

Wow, Plush, that's kind of a dick move outing every one that marked "Sure, Why Not". I don't know about the others in your list, but it is rubbing me the wrong way.

The question was, "Is it OK to smoke in a humidor?". The choices were "Sure Why Not", "Never, you will ruin the cigars", and the third choice was an attempt at humor. Not too many options, because it is a loaded question as we all have found out from comments left. This was not a simple "Yes" or "No" answer. There should have been more options to choose from.

What we have learned is it will not ruin the cigar. It will leave an unpleasant smell to some people, but not alter the taste. Nobody has yet to give an intelligent or proven explanation for why cigar smoke in a humidor ruins the TASTE of a cigar. (ergo it does not ruin the cigar). Although I enjoy the smell of a cigar before I light it, as soon as it is lit I am more concerned with the taste. I've smelled some cigars that smelled unpleasant but tasted really good. Actually smoking the cigar is the majority of the pleasure of a cigar. So the cigar is not ruined. If you don't like the smell of stale cigars, either 1. don't keep them at the B&M or 2. let the owner of the B&M know your concerns and try to change the humidor smoking policy in the B&M.

If the owner of your local B&M allows its patrons to smoke in the humidor, then "Sure Why Not" smoke in the humidor. I marked "Sure Why Not" because I had never heard of not being allowed to smoke in a humidor. I explained my experience and reasoning in a previous post in this thread. And I have learned much through this debate of smoking (or not) in a humidor.

B&M's set their own policies and we all adhere to them. If you don't like your stale SMELLING cigars, either 1. don't keep them at the B&M or 2. let the owner of the B&M know your concerns and try to convince him to change the smoking policy in the B&M.

Don't get on a power trip trying to shame specific people by outing them for having an opinion you don't agree with. Just give your opinion next time and move out smartly.