What's new

Smoking jackets: In or out?

Would you wear one?

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
If you chose to wear one, would you prefer the first or the second jacket style?
The first is your Hugh Hefner style.

The second has this description:

Designed for comfort...built for indulgence...the return of a timeless classic
“Gentlemen, let’s retire for brandy and cigars.” You have to admit, the idea has appeal. After dinner, the men gather in the study among the oils and memorabilia, settle into antique leather chairs and debate the issues of the day. I would be wearing my smoking jacket, but not the 1920’s tuxedo style made of velvet and silk. More like the wool smoking jacket I had in the late 1960’s. We’ve partnered with Pendleton® to bring back that original “Topster” design – loose-fitting, like a shirt on top but longer and buttoning like a sport jacket. It has the same luxurious feel I remember. Enjoy the unstructured comfort around the house. Wear it like a sport jacket to casual functions. Made of 100% virgin wool, spun at Pendleton Mills in Portland, Oregon. 65% polyester/35% cotton shoulder lining, button cuffs and three front patch pockets. You haven’t seen anything like this in forty years – maybe ever.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
The reason for the SILK jacket is that silk naturally will not absorb smoke odors. I'm not sure about the wool one...

(oh, but I personally wouldn't wear either)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have to smoke out on the porch in 30 degree weather, I am using a "Layered" approach.

No one jacket will do it for me, I need a jacket, a hoodie sweatshirt, and a long sleeve shirt.

AND I AM STILL COLD!!!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Yall dont have smoking jackets? Where is your commitment to the sport?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason for the SILK jacket is that silk naturally will not absorb smoke odors. I'm not sure about the wool one...

(oh, but I personally wouldn't wear either)
I thought that the idea of the smoking jacket was that you would wear it while smoking, and then when you took it off the odors would remain on it rather than on your other clothes. When I smoke outside in cool weather I do reserve one jacket for cigars so that I will smell nice and fresh upon my return.

I had never heard that silk doesn't absorb cigar odors--anybody have a reference on this?

One cigar bar that I go to has smoking jackets that can be worn, I have never tried one, maybe I will do a little experiment (and see if they are silk).

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I wear one in my lounge. Not fancy, just a nice jacket to keep the wife from yelling about all the smoky sweat shirts.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
From http://www.natureboutique.com/n_care.htm

Rayon, Wool Linen do not absorb odors, just like silk, but because most contain dyes, it should always be tested first. Wool is a good choice because it resists absorbing odors and is a natural mold/mildew inhibitor. It is especially good for bedding products since it is also a natural fire retardant.

gpugliese

Beware the penguins...
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm getting the urge to order one so I can walk around in it and pretend to be Christopher Walken's character from "The Continental" skit.

"No, no, please. Go, if you must go. But..."

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Looks like something you wear in Seattle while listening to grunge music. So 90's. I might consider dedicating one to wear specifically when I smoke and leave outside so the wife and child do not get mad.