What's new

Sobriety Thread

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
You tell him Dave! I had those Joe and Charlie talks on MP3 a long time ago. I am sure they are still out on the web somewhere. I listened to those things over and over my first couple years. Great wisdom, and damn those guys were funny.
Here is a free version. Plus Father Martin's chalk talk and other stuff. I have a newer version of Joe and charlie that I like better somewhere.
http://silkworth.net/freestuff.html

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
The Old Violin - The Touch of the Masters Hand

'Twas battered and scarred,
And the auctioneer thought it
hardly worth his while
To waste his time on the old violin,
but he held it up with a smile.

"What am I bid, good people", he cried,
"Who starts the bidding for me?"
"One dollar, one dollar, Do I hear two?"
"Two dollars, who makes it three?"
"Three dollars once, three dollars twice, going for three,"

But, No,
From the room far back a gray bearded man
Came forward and picked up the bow,
Then wiping the dust from the old violin
And tightening up the strings,
He played a melody, pure and sweet
As sweet as the angel sings.

The music ceased and the auctioneer
With a voice that was quiet and low,
Said "What now am I bid for this old violin?"
As he held it aloft with its' bow.

"One thousand, one thousand, Do I hear two?"
"Two thousand, Who makes it three?"
"Three thousand once, three thousand twice,
Going and gone", said he.

The audience cheered,
But some of them cried,
"We just don't understand."
"What changed its' worth?"
Swift came the reply.
"The Touch of the Masters Hand."

"And many a man with life out of tune
All battered and bruised with hardship
Is auctioned cheap to a thoughtless crowd
Much like that old violin

A mess of pottage, a glass of wine,
A game and he travels on.
He is going once, he is going twice,
He is going and almost gone.

But the Master comes,
And the foolish crowd never can quite understand,
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the Touch of the Masters' Hand.

- by Myra Brooks Welch

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
The first time I heard that poem was at a meeting. It was my 3rd for the day. I was in a bad place and struggling. An elderly gentleman with many a 24 hrs under his belt recited it during his share from memory. It was a candlelight meeting and you could have heard a pin drop. I don't think there was a dry eye in the room.

Thanks for letting me share.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Here is a free version. Plus Father Martin's chalk talk and other stuff. I have a newer version of Joe and charlie that I like better somewhere.
http://silkworth.net/freestuff.html

Awesome man, thanks for tracking this down.

hardly worth his while

But, No,

The audience cheered,
But some of them cried,
Swift came the reply.

But the Master comes,

- by Myra Brooks Welch

This is fantastic, and so true. I'm learning that as beat down as I got, I have so many unknown gifts to give. I know I have it my heart.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Awesome man, thanks for tracking this down.

This is fantastic, and so true. I'm learning that as beat down as I got, I have so many unknown gifts to give. I know I have it my heart.
If you use Spotify, they have a step study on there also, going through the book. I would also recommend youtubing any talks by Scott R. Great speaker.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0

hardly worth his while

But, No,

The audience cheered,
But some of them cried,
Swift came the reply.

But the Master comes,

- by Myra Brooks Welch

Well grrrrrrrr you have made an old man cry. Thanks for this.

Sent from my HTC331ZLVW using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well done Ryan... My 10 year off Meth is July 1, 2016. I totally agree with thinking it's impossible.. My 1 year off cigs was Feb 11, 2016. Encourage anyone who is on the fence to fight the struggle, best thing you could do for yourself

Congrats to all in this thread! I know it can be hard no matter what the addiction

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well Im damn frustrated and you guys are the only ones who will understand. Got a call sun while the wife and I were away on a weekend. The FIL went on a bender sometime in the previous week and drank 7x .5 gal of vodka over an unknown timeframe. Well he woke up sun after who knows how long with chest pain. He called my MIL (his ex who is way too nice to him) when she got over there his house was destroyed and he was on the floor. She called an ambulance and away he went. Well she called my wife. Well there goes the rest of our weekend. We get there and hes altered, essentially out of his mind. Staff says if someone doesnt control him theyre going to restrain him. Well my wife calms him down. Now she feels like she needs to stay. I have to drive her 90 min home to get her car cause i gotta work and my 15 yo needs someone with her. She was supposed to be home tomorrow but now it god knows when. Supposedly hes agreed to go inpatient for rehab so shes trying to arrange that.
Im just so annoyed shes dropping and running for him. Hes done nothing but hurt her for a long time. I can understand the 1 brother not helping. Hes in Tx in the army. But the other one is down by him and single. I really feel abandoned right now.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Well Im damn frustrated and you guys are the only ones who will understand. Got a call sun while the wife and I were away on a weekend. The FIL went on a bender sometime in the previous week and drank 7x .5 gal of vodka over an unknown timeframe. Well he woke up sun after who knows how long with chest pain. He called my MIL (his ex who is way too nice to him) when she got over there his house was destroyed and he was on the floor. She called an ambulance and away he went. Well she called my wife. Well there goes the rest of our weekend. We get there and hes altered, essentially out of his mind. Staff says if someone doesnt control him theyre going to restrain him. Well my wife calms him down. Now she feels like she needs to stay. I have to drive her 90 min home to get her car cause i gotta work and my 15 yo needs someone with her. She was supposed to be home tomorrow but now it god knows when. Supposedly hes agreed to go inpatient for rehab so shes trying to arrange that.
Im just so annoyed shes dropping and running for him. Hes done nothing but hurt her for a long time. I can understand the 1 brother not helping. Hes in Tx in the army. But the other one is down by him and single. I really feel abandoned right now.
Addiction is a selfish disease, hopefully this is situation helps your FIL realize it's time to get sober

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

SoberSmokes

Lets Go Rangers!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What's up guys. As we know more than anything we suffer from the disease of "more" and I've been experiencing this lately. I like to make jokes to keep things lite but I'm noticing I can't drive by a cigar store or deli that says cigars without at least looking. I'm on cigarbid just bidding on shit for no reason just to have "more" . The scary thing ive noticed is ive at times isolated loved ones just to go smoke or buy, sometimes spending my last dollar just for a cigar. All trends that came with active addiction.
So I guess I want to know if there are others who experience this or am I being to hard on myself

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
What's up guys. As we know more than anything we suffer from the disease of "more" and I've been experiencing this lately. I like to make jokes to keep things lite but I'm noticing I can't drive by a cigar store or deli that says cigars without at least looking. I'm on cigarbid just bidding on shit for no reason just to have "more" . The scary thing ive noticed is ive at times isolated loved ones just to go smoke or buy, sometimes spending my last dollar just for a cigar. All trends that came with active addiction.
So I guess I want to know if there are others who experience this or am I being to hard on myself
You're totally alone on this one. I can't identify at all and you probably need professional help. You're the sick one, not us...

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Man, I'm really sorry to hear this. My wife has problems with her parents (no where near as bad as yours), and it really sucks to be attached to that when the person is not your own sibling or parent. The fact that she runs to him is a testament that she must be a very good person, but hopefully she has reasonable expectations. Being in AA, I'm starting to see some rough people, and honestly, he's probably going to have to go for an extended hospital stay while it gets out of his system. After that, he's going to have to want to be sober. It's the only way, that it may last. AA has really helped me in not just dealing with the problem, but understanding it. God bless you brother, it's not easy when you have to deal with your spouses family. Being supportive and understanding is really the only thing you can do. Hopefully, he'll come to his senses.