What's new

Sobriety Thread

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Someone just said something at my morning meeting that I hadn't heard before: "AA is a fellowship that comforts us when we're disturbed, and disturbs us when we're comfortable." Love it. (y) Hope everyone has an awesome, sober day...j
Almost 3 years and I've never heard that. Haha. But I'm gonna use it, cause it's true in my experience as well!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Someone just said something at my morning meeting that I hadn't heard before: "AA is a fellowship that comforts us when we're disturbed, and disturbs us when we're comfortable." Love it. (y) Hope everyone has an awesome, sober day...j
I love those little "AAisms". Like "Dont dont anything dramatic the first year of sobriety. But change everything"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Got some good news to report. Guy I've been trying to help, rather unsuccessfully I might add, has maybe, possibly, hit bottom. He has 7 days today, and we spent the last couple nights reading the big book (over the phone, but it's a start). Did a third step together and he's supposed to have his first column of the fourth step done today. I actually heard him laugh for the first time yesterday!

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
The wife and I are headed up to her parents place in Statesboro, GA this weekend. There we will meet her son's fiancé and some of her family. Plus we will also find out whether she is having a boy or a girl. This is my step son. He and I had some rough times, especially when I was still drinking. And he has had his own issues with drugs and alcohol. But, he seems to be on the right path now and we have had a good relationship for years now. My wife is excited about being a grandma, and even as a step grandpa I am happy too. I was requested to do one thing this weekend. And that is to turn these two beauties into some mouth watering pulled pork. A job for which I am fully qualified. I have the rub and sauce already made, and I am pretty sure I packed enough cigars. I will post some updates. The big pig smoke is Sunday, and I now have the excuse to sit outside all day, drink ice cold tea and smoke cigars. Oh, and that is twenty pounds of good eating right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, brothers!

Hope all is well and everyone had sober holiday.

Last weekend my sponsor and I and another friend went to 132nd Cook Forest Conference in Northern Pa. Heard some great speakers, got to know my sponsor a little better, had some great views and food and smoked some good cigars with some AA BOTL. Ran into the BIL of my sister...he showed me his 5 year chip! I never knew he found us! Tons of miracles in the Forest!

Thanks for letting me share.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Well @ZippoGeek should like this one. I was really in top of my game this morning. Good meditation, great morning with my son, in a really good mood. Then, at my home group, I sit down as the secretary of the meeting to go over the format with this week's chairperson. I explain the part about reading something from the big book. Some people, rather than reading themselves, will ask a friend to join them at the table and do a reading, which this morning's chair had elected to do. His friend to do the reading them informed me that he would not be reading from the big book, but something else he had selected. I try to ask him to please choose a topic from the big book, and showed him the written format where it states that a reading is to come from the big book with no mention of anything else, but he immediately becomes argumentative. He then tells me, "fuck you, I've been sober 28 years I can read whatever the fuck I want." So I stand up and say, "fuck you, chair your own fucking meeting. I don't need to be cursed at for asking you to follow the fucking group conscious." And I stormed off to the back of the room. This happened two minutes prior to the start of the meeting, and a ton of people saw me blow up. I was extremely self-righteously angry. My poisoned thoughts tell me, "How dare he think that the traditions and group conscious don't apply to him? How dare he treat a trusted servant this way? What a pathetic example of shitty sobriety!" I texted my sponsor, who gave me just what I needed. He says "Progress, not perfection, we are not saints. "This is a sick man. How can I be helpful to him? God save me from being angry. Thy will be done." Or my favourite resentment prayer, 'god bless (him), god bless me, god bless him, god bless me'. Put god between you and him, until you mean it."

I immediately knew that, no matter how much of a turd this guy is, I'm the one who blew up. I'm the one who is fuming angry. I'm the one who owes an apology. So I did. After the meeting, we hugged it out, I apologized to all those who sat at the table up front, and didn't try to convince anyone how wrong the other guy is. I just admitted my fault and apologized. What else can I do?

I realize that the quality of my sobriety, today, doesn't mean that I won't have a reaction to something like this. I started beating myself up in the way home, thinking that if this is the way I act when people do something other than what I think they should be doing, my sobriety is really shitty. But that's not true. I did my best to pray about it, make, amends, talk to others, etc and let go. So I guess I'm not doing too bad. Progress, not perfection. Practicing love and tolerance with myself. Living life on the enlightenment installment plan, one day at a time.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Progress not perfection is something I say a lot! Living amends are a necessity, we are still human with human feelings and emotions, sounds like you rebounded well!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Well @ZippoGeek should like this one. I was really in top of my game this morning. Good meditation, great morning with my son, in a really good mood. Then, at my home group, I sit down as the secretary of the meeting to go over the format with this week's chairperson. I explain the part about reading something from the big book. Some people, rather than reading themselves, will ask a friend to join them at the table and do a reading, which this morning's chair had elected to do. His friend to do the reading them informed me that he would not be reading from the big book, but something else he had selected. I try to ask him to please choose a topic from the big book, and showed him the written format where it states that a reading is to come from the big book with no mention of anything else, but he immediately becomes argumentative. He then tells me, "fuck you, I've been sober 28 years I can read whatever the fuck I want." So I stand up and say, "fuck you, chair your own fucking meeting. I don't need to be cursed at for asking you to follow the fucking group conscious." And I stormed off to the back of the room. This happened two minutes prior to the start of the meeting, and a ton of people saw me blow up. I was extremely self-righteously angry. My poisoned thoughts tell me, "How dare he think that the traditions and group conscious don't apply to him? How dare he treat a trusted servant this way? What a pathetic example of shitty sobriety!" I texted my sponsor, who gave me just what I needed. He says "Progress, not perfection, we are not saints. "This is a sick man. How can I be helpful to him? God save me from being angry. Thy will be done." Or my favourite resentment prayer, 'god bless (him), god bless me, god bless him, god bless me'. Put god between you and him, until you mean it."

I immediately knew that, no matter how much of a turd this guy is, I'm the one who blew up. I'm the one who is fuming angry. I'm the one who owes an apology. So I did. After the meeting, we hugged it out, I apologized to all those who sat at the table up front, and didn't try to convince anyone how wrong the other guy is. I just admitted my fault and apologized. What else can I do?

I realize that the quality of my sobriety, today, doesn't mean that I won't have a reaction to something like this. I started beating myself up in the way home, thinking that if this is the way I act when people do something other than what I think they should be doing, my sobriety is really shitty. But that's not true. I did my best to pray about it, make, amends, talk to others, etc and let go. So I guess I'm not doing too bad. Progress, not perfection. Practicing love and tolerance with myself. Living life on the enlightenment installment plan, one day at a time.
Holy crap man, we were just talking about meeting theatrics and fisticuffs! It was definitely in bad form for him to behave the way he did. I pray I'd do the right thing if put in the same situation, but I suck at verbal judo. o_O Hopefully someday I'll attain the rank of AA Jedi. But not today. My pride comes to the surface very quickly when things like that happen.

Good on you for doing a quick 180. "Mea culpa" goes a long way. (y)

Rating - 100%
26   0   0

Ha. We all have days like that. Infact, iv had a week like it. Then i go to a meeting tonight and was reminded that this is a program of action. Id been stalling on dealing with part of my ninth (cause you know AAs never procrastinate) and it had gotten the better of me. There i am walking around for a week in a fog and there i just needed to be reminded (by some some guy counting days none the lest) that its progress, not perfection. Dealt with my amends amd wouldnt you know i feel great!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk