What's new

Sobriety Thread

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
My respect to all of you that battle this disease on a daily basis. As a paramedic in one of the poorest cities in america. I see the ravages of this disease daily. If I see someone who seems to be ready, we talk on the way to the hospital. If not I treat and hope theyll be ready one day. I also supervised rapid detox aftercare for narcotic addicts. I had some interesting conversations while they were recovering. One of my best stories was a 20+ yr heroin addict that went through our program who 2 years later was still clean, had a job and was repairing his life.
, when I lived in the Midwest I used to chair meetings at work release. It is probably one of the toughest chair positions that I've ever held as it always seem to be" if I just didn't get caught". It taught me a lot about this disease, my disease. Lots of excuses but in the end there's a power greater than me take it take it away. I could not do it myself

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Guys, this thread is fantastic. I don't have a ton of time, but it's been 17 days now, and it's tough. My biggest problem is concentrating on tomorrow and not today. It's so hard to imagine my future without ever having a drink again, but I know I need to do it, especially for myself, my wife, and most importantly my kids. I've been a heavy drinker for about 17 years, and I've only recently been putting it out there that I'm an alcoholic and communicating with family, friends, and coworkers.

Working on my courage to attend my first aa meeting on Monday.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Guys, this thread is fantastic. I don't have a ton of time, but it's been 17 days now, and it's tough. My biggest problem is concentrating on tomorrow and not today. It's so hard to imagine my future without ever having a drink again, but I know I need to do it, especially for myself, my wife, and most importantly my kids. I've been a heavy drinker for about 17 years, and I've only recently been putting it out there that I'm an alcoholic and communicating with family, friends, and coworkers.

Congrats Brother!! That is an accomplishment. Just worry about today. There are some great dudes here who have a lot more sobriety than me on this thread. A couple years back I found much comfort in them going through my first couple of months. Keep it up, this is a safe place to vent.

If you're going through hell keep on going
Don't slow down, if you're scared, don't show it
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there

Rating - 100%
160   0   0

Congrats on the 17 days. Don't worry about tomorrow or tonight focus on the minute. Minutes become hours, hours become days, days become months and so on. Don't focus on never having another drink but rather think of it as being the best person you can be.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0

Hey man, I had the EXACT same thought... I couldn't wrap it around my head that I would never have a drink again... But I haven't and now I understand and can grasp it; you will too. I also REALLY didn't want to go to my first meeting but man will you be glad you did. 17 days is huge brother, keep working it!

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0

A buddy used to say "if you can get 17 days, you can get 17 years"

As impossible as it is just stay in the moment, hit a meeting, and it will start falling into place.

Keep it up:)

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Thanks guys. I messed up on my post. I meant to say concentrating on today and not tomorrow. I've been communicating a lot with my wife which has really helped. Talking to my parents will be tough, but the big point that im going to keep stressing is that they had nothing to do with me ending up the way I've been. This is all on me, and I've accepted that.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Thanks guys. I messed up on my post. I meant to say concentrating on today and not tomorrow. I've been communicating a lot with my wife which has really helped. Talking to my parents will be tough, but the big point that im going to keep stressing is that they had nothing to do with me ending up the way I've been. This is all on me, and I've accepted that.
ODAAT, brother -- One Day At A Time! You've got this! (y)

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks guys. I messed up on my post. I meant to say concentrating on today and not tomorrow. I've been communicating a lot with my wife which has really helped. Talking to my parents will be tough, but the big
point that im going to keep stressing is that they had
nothing to do with me ending up the way I've been. This
is all on me, and I've accepted that.
Yeah, no one ever had to hold me down and pour booze down my throat. 8ball, I know the fear of walking into your first AA meeting. What you don't realize is they are not strangers, they are friends you haven't met yet. And you don't have to not drink forever, just don't take a drink today. Keep it simple my friend!

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Guys, I want to thank you for your support. Although I had butterfly's, big time, I made it to the meeting last night, and another this morning. Everyone is so nice, and it's uplifting to vent and hear everyone's story about how much better their life is without getting drunk every night. Picked up a copy of the big book.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Guys, I want to thank you for your support. Although I had butterfly's, big time, I made it to the meeting last night, and another this morning. Everyone is so nice, and it's uplifting to vent and hear everyone's story about how much better their life is without getting drunk every night. Picked up a copy of the big book.
Great to hear...you got this brother! (y)

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I'm at 5 years and a day today. I stepped away from the program pretty early on (after many attempts), I don't believe I did it alone but not exactly a step follower. I am willing to be there if anyone is in need. Just putting it out there.

Sent from my SM-G900K using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Awesome, keep up the good work

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I'm at 5 years and a day today. I stepped away from the program pretty early on (after many attempts), I don't believe I did it alone but not exactly a step follower. I am willing to be there if anyone is in need. Just putting it out there.

Sent from my SM-G900K using Tapatalk
Thanks brother. I thought that what you were implying in your anniversary thread, but wasn't sure. Congrats on five years. Hopefully I can say the same 4 years and 11 months from now.

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
You just gave me chills brother. Keep coming back, it works.

jtmazz10

Mr. Wonderful
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm relatively new to BOTL and, as such, I have no reason to expect that anyone would trust me. Having said that, I will tell you all that I work in the crisis prevention field in NYC. I work in a high school in the city and help both students and their adult family members with all kinds of concerns, including substance abuse and strategies for maintaining sobriety.

It would be a pleasure, so feel free to reach out.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Glad you went. Don't use no matter what and....

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Glad you went. Don't use no matter what and....
:ROFLMAO:
Yeah, im starting to realize ill never be able to pick up again, because i know i cant just socially have one and then not think about it again. Although its not easy, Im accepting it and starting to feel a lot better.