What's new

Stopped in a cigar lounge today and..

Status
Not open for further replies.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
that place sounds like a bunch of garbage to me, im fine with requiring a purchase for use of the lounge, but it should be one stick >_> if you buy it there you should be able to smoke it there otherwise whats the point of paying the higher B&M prices.

you should've been like "oh sorry ok" gone back and pulled like 20 cigars from different boxes, let him ring em all up and then be like "oh crap i forgot my wallet in my car ill be right back" and just drove away

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said the lounge is for his boss and his bosses' friends.
I've gone into places, (not nearly as ritzy looking as that pictured), where the owner seems to run the place as a club for he and his buddies rather than as a business in a very small & constantly threatened niche.

And all this is for the 'privilege' of paying twice as much for a stick that is too wet for me to smoke right away ? No thanks, I skip such places.

I have much better cigars at home (I already like them or wouldn't have bought them) which have been resting at the RH I like for the required time. Some B&M owners seem to believe they're the only option available to the customer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to figure out why a real lounge is not feasible for some shops? I can only think that a lounge isn't making money?

Most B&Ms here in south Florida, at least where I live, are a few chairs or sofas in the back or front of the shop for people to enjoy- maybe 4-5 guys at a time max. Most are smoke bombs upon entering and have half the ventilation they really need.

What stops a good-excellent well established cigar B&M from adding or expanding a nice lounge with it? Does that side of the business not make money?

I see these insanely beautiful lounges online that are from friendly to exquisite that are actual "lounges".

Is the cost/return just not there in a true cigar lounge so they add a few sofas in back?

Whenever I go to the local B$M just down the street from me, it's typically already filled up 5-6 guys and smoke city inside. The entire store is the humidor so it's difficult for some to browse while walking through thick clouds. Every time I'm there I just think if I could purchase the adjacent place and open a wall, I could make a badass lounge in the other side. Then that whisper in my ear says don't you even think of it dummy

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Only way I can see a place doing it where poor slobs like me could afford it would be just a couple of extra chairs in the back room with a TV set. Provide set ups so you don't need a liquor license and have real good ventilation.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
They will and do come to my local. The Outlaw in KC always seems to be busy. It is pretty casual and you see all types of people from execs in suits to blue collar workers. Nice leather chairs, a bunch of big screen tv's and you can bring your own booze or even food if you'd like. It can't be cheap for the lounge space, but I think the foot traffic it attracts, especially when the weather is crap makes up for it. The other place in town with the private lounge usually only has 1-2 people in the whole place at a time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I welcome the members-only policy or a high buy-in for entry. I have grown
sick and tired of every entitled low-life spending $4 on a cigar and
expecting to squat for free in a lounge for 6 hours, taking up the chairs
that should be intended for true paying customers who actually deserve to
be there. Every square inch of that shop and lounge costs the owner money.
You are not entitled to it because you bought an underpriced sh** stick
from the discount bin. Respect the house and earn your keep.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Still trying to figure out why a real lounge is not feasible for some shops? I can only think that a lounge isn't making money?

Most B&Ms here in south Florida, at least where I live, are a few chairs or sofas in the back or front of the shop for people to enjoy- maybe 4-5 guys at a time max. Most are smoke bombs upon entering and have half the ventilation they really need.

What stops a good-excellent well established cigar B&M from adding or expanding a nice lounge with it? Does that side of the business not make money?

I see these insanely beautiful lounges online that are from friendly to exquisite that are actual "lounges".

Is the cost/return just not there in a true cigar lounge so they add a few sofas in back?

Whenever I go to the local B$M just down the street from me, it's typically already filled up 5-6 guys and smoke city inside. The entire store is the humidor so it's difficult for some to browse while walking through thick clouds. Every time I'm there I just think if I could purchase the adjacent place and open a wall, I could make a badass lounge in the other side. Then that whisper in my ear says don't you even think of it dummy
Personally I don't see how the numbers can possibly pencil out, unless the lounge really is a passion project for the owner (in which case I can understand -not defend, but understand- wanting to make that a protected space). Customers are paying fast-food prices for ritzy-restaurant decor and time. $10, even $15 for a cigar, but the owner is paying a lot in taxes, and the person is occupying a seat for a couple hours, and likely complaining unless the atmosphere is posh and the seats are fancy leather, and there's ample room to relax.

Not defending the owner in the OP's post, if you want a private lounge, make it private.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think offering private lockers for members that are properly temp & humidity controlled is great. The lounge should be open to any paying customer. This could offer a great opportunity for new guys to learn from cigar vets. Seems like this would help expand the number of those passionate about cigars.

But I don't get that some would feel personally 'superior' by the type of dried out leaf they smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have no problem with posting on the front door "Lounge $20 cover, set ups and snacks included" or "minimum purchase required" See that in bars all the time, just don't advertise an open lounge and then surprise me at the checkout counter saying an $11 Oliva doesn't cut it.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
At the end of the day, I could care-less if you take up a chair for a few hours and smoke a "$4 sh*t stick" in the local lounge. You're still supporting a local shop. So something is better than nothing IMHO. Especially if the place is BYOB.

Hey maybe that person will call or invite friends next time there or have them come in while said person is there and spend more than "$4.00" for a smoke.

I could also care-less if you're a CEO or a blue collar man or woman. You share one thing in common and that's the love of the leaf. We all come from all walks of life and our budgets might only be "$4.00 sh*t sticks." Smoke whatever you enjoy regardless of the price tag.

And at my local shop, they have lockers you rent yearly and up to 2 people can share per locker. No "members only" although they do have a perk for locker members for box purchases. And customer loyalty card where you rack up points on each purchase made. It's also a BYOB establishment. And I've met up with many of my fellow BOTL's here at that shop.

I show up in jeans, t-shirt and ball cap. Others show up in suits or business attire. It's a solid mix of people. And I've made many friends there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Personally I don't see how the numbers can possibly pencil out, unless the lounge really is a passion project for the owner (in which case I can understand -not defend, but understand- wanting to make that a protected space). Customers are paying fast-food prices for ritzy-restaurant decor and time. $10, even $15 for a cigar, but the owner is paying a lot in taxes, and the person is occupying a seat for a couple hours, and likely complaining unless the atmosphere is posh and the seats are fancy leather, and there's ample room to relax.

Not defending the owner in the OP's post, if you want a private lounge, make it private.
This...I cant even imagine the taxes on a stick in WA at a lounge. Its probably been 10 years since I bought a cigar in WA.

The "local" lounge that I can get to every couple months in Idaho is very relaxed and casual. The taxes the owner pays is almost 40% on each cigar. He even was saying that the lounge was there for the customers...Not for the money. I will gladly sit and BS with a fella covered in dirt and grease, smoking a $4 shit stick...Then someone that is buying a $20 stick and explaining his superiority. Sometimes the vanity of this hobby is just plain sad!

Ill never be the guy that shows up in a tie and buys the $20 stick...I'm perfectly ok with that. As long as people are enjoying the hobby and supporting the local lounge...

Last edited:

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Only west of the Cascade Mountains. If eastern WA, eastern OR, and ID got together things would be a whole lot better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed, but the bleed over to the eastside is just to much for me. I grew up in Spokane and cant stand visiting there...Hence why the legalized cannabis. So people will visit the state.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, but the bleed over to the eastside is just to much for me. I grew up in Spokane and cant stand visiting there...Hence why the legalized cannabis. So people will visit the state.
I have family in Spokane. There's the influx from Seattle and CA. It's tons better than the coast, though. Not like ID. But, even my friends in MT complain about the CA people coming in & messing up their state. I should move to the Alaska bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.