of time ends up screwing your B&M. You all seem to follow the mantra of
"support your local B&M." Well, sucking on a discount stick for 6 hours in
the shop is doing just the opposite. And the entitlement attitude that
often goes along with those people is deplorable. Member fees cut that out
and I welcome the fees completely because you will get better support for
the shop and, subsequently, better quality BOTLs who understand this
concept.
Lots of assumptions there. 'Discount sticks' ? , '6 Hours' ?, etc, etc

I support local businesses that serve my needs and are worth supporting. Period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You're missing the point. It's not about the type of person you think
smokes a $20 cigar. Get over yourselves. It's about the fact that buying a
cheap cigar and taking up space in the lounge over long, extended periods
concept.
A $20 dollar cigar probably doesn't make a difference when calculating the cost of an occupied seat, as I would imagine the margins are similar on this and budget sticks...

Lounges generally don't carry anything I would care to smoke, so if hitting up a "local" spot I'll buy a cheap stick to support the shop and give it away down the road, while I smoke something I pack along and catch up on the gossip.

Or... go to the private club that sells smokes as a favor to it's members and enjoy my sticks with no obligation to buy anything, if I don't feel like seeing any of the proletarians.

It's a shops responsibilty to know its market segment. If the customer base is purchasing budget sticks, it's poor management to carry a costly inventory of high dollar sticks.

Baller is ok, budget is ok, in between is ok. Baller on a budget is doomed to fail.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
@btubes18 I'm living in Heath which is right next to Newark, 35 miles from the Tinderbox in Easton, Columbus which is the closest lounge I've found. So perhaps not the desert, but I'd really prefer one closer. Beats the lounge I was checking out in Salt Lake City (I was there on business) where the owners got convicted of selling drugs (spice?) and the place was closed down.
That Tinderbox sucks. The lounge area is essentially the size of a booth at McDonald's. There is a House of Cigars on North High St there in Columbus with a much nicer lounge and humidor. The prices are still high as Tinderbox, but being in central Columbus you won't have to travel all the way over to the far east side either.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
There have been several shops pop up on Long Island. Some have new leather chairs and sofa's, new TV's, etc. and the average price of a cigar is $14. There's another that the chairs are a little worn and the TV isn't new. Could use a spruce up but the average price of the cigar is $9. I like paying $9.
Am I the only that doesn't think Ant likes paying $9 for a cigar either?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
concept.
Speaking from the business standpoint. Even if you have "deplorables" taking up a seat and they enjoy themselves and come back. If you charge an "entry fee" of a $20 stick you will piss off a lot of people. It behooves the shop to have a free lounge for all because it allows people teh freedom to enjoy themselves and come back - Free of judgement - Ideally you would have a free lounge and a members area so that the elite have a place and us average joes have a place. Frankly speaking the couple grand you spend on chairs and ashtrays get paid for by the repeat business. Most guys buying $4 stick buy 3-4 $4 sticks over the course of the night, multiple times a week. And then they invite their friends. At the end of the day everyone needs a place to smoke and unwind. They are more likely to come pack if they feel they aren't being robbed. JMHO

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, ya also gotta consider the overall cost of things in each area including rent. $20 in one place isn't the same in another.
I buy one of theirs , smoke one of mine . . . buy another one of theirs, smoke another one of mine . . .etc, etc I'll support the B&M, but won't attempt to smoke wet sticks. Most shops are fine with this.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
concept.
It's not the kind of person that smokes a $20 cigar that concerns me. It's the type of "gentleman" who judges the "entitled, deplorable, discount cigar smoker" who then tells me to get over myself. That's the kind of person I wouldn't want in my lounge.

Hopduro LIKES IT

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
concept.
I think this concept is similar to when someone goes into a breakfast joint during peak hours and occupies a booth for 2 hours drinking free refills of coffee, leaves no tip on his $1.19 bill. Does it happen? Yes, but not often.

For the guy who does this frequently, then I could see the argument.

If the B&M has what they call a "lounge" aka a few chairs, then they should state membership fees or purchase requirements if they don't want their thrones taken up by shleps like me!

otherwise let them enjoy their purchase- regardless of price.

I'd like to Open a lounge with full access to everyone with open bar/coffee. I would have a private members only area with lockers, privacy, additional perks for the people wanting that exclusivity. It would cater to everyone regardless of status. Just a dream..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the kind of person that smokes a $20 cigar that concerns me. It's the type of "gentleman" who judges the "entitled, deplorable, discount cigar smoker" who then tells me to get over myself. That's the kind of person I wouldn't want in my lounge.

Hopduro LIKES IT
But dontcha know ? Such pretentious types opened up the American frontier and rolled back the Nazis in WW2. Not grubby mountain men and G.I.s from towns all over America.

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
My very small amount of time in lounges, has allowed me to met some great people. And the price of the cigar or band on it was never a thought to any of us.

Last time was this great retired guy (super nice), that had a couple of drinks in him and was telling me about last week was his birthday and his wife called the shop and bought him 2 Padron Mans 80th for the night. How it was just a great cigar and how he had a great birthday with some friends...Then I asked him what he was smoking tonight, and looked down at his cigar..."Oh, just some piece of shit I order off the internet. I like them for nights like these."

Mindset over matter.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Just pretend I owned a pizza place. I sell pizzas. Some people come in and buy them to take home and some people buy them and eat them there at the tables I have provided and watch the game on the tv that I provided as well. I think I might be justifiably ticked off at someone walking in off the street with a Dominos pizza box sitting down to eat it and partaking of my amenities. I would also be shocked at that guy then giving me the stink face when I told him he couldn't do that.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO some people need to get over themselves & quit trying to impress people with their possessions. It just a cigar - even what would be considered a top stick (CC or NC) would go for around $100. A lot for a rolled up dried leaf, but not exactly a fortune. Most people who come to a computer based forum like this could come up with a hundred bucks if they had to. Many wouldn't spend that much on one cigar, but it's in no way 'elite' to do so. Now if you had to earn an Olympic gold medal or the Congressional Medal of Honor before you would be allowed to smoke a particular cigar - That would be something noteworthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I believe most people agree that if you are going to smoke it there buy it there. I also believe that empty space doesn't make money for you. I'd rather have someone sit there smoking a $4.00 stick they bought from me then have the chair sit empty. Not only that but a full house is normally a fun house.

I guarantee that if you sit and watch a football game for three hours you are going to want food or something to drink or even another cigar by halftime. What other business has the opportunity to keep a customer in their store for at least and hour and a half a visit? All that time talking to you about cigars and walking you through their humidor or popping that 4 buck a bag popcorn.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's different in other parts of the country. Where I am, the 90s Cigar Boom is long over. Smoking, especially in public, is under constant attack. Do 'exclusive' lounges expand the potential customer base & number of voters with a favorable viewpoint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
concept.
Question, I have never seen a cheap 6 hour smoke.

Fact check please?

Thanks old man

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I welcome the members-only policy or a high buy-in for entry. I have grown
sick and tired of every entitled low-life spending $4 on a cigar and
expecting to squat for free in a lounge for 6 hours, taking up the chairs
that should be intended for true paying customers who actually deserve to
be there. Every square inch of that shop and lounge costs the owner money.
You are not entitled to it because you bought an underpriced sh** stick
from the discount bin. Respect the house and earn your keep.
This is the type of attitude that is driving everyone to support online stores. If you owned a nice lounge near me with an attitude like that, id never even consider walking into your establishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.