What's new

Summer 2016 Ultimate HERF - Cabo San Lucas!!!!! Who's in???

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
OK.... Im back form Cabo and wanted to provide some updates and info. Some may be repeated but here it goes.

When you book your trip, book transportation. Don't be a Chuck! LOL.... couldn't resist. The transportation is called a transfer on most booking sites. Its basically a shared passenger van (some are nicer than others). If you forget call, email, send smoke signals to your booking company and they will handle it. RIU will only be able to help if you boo through their site and even then they will direct you to their provider (Hotel Beds).
If you think a cab is ok then its $80 each way. A transfer is much less and its less hassle.

Arrival in Cabo...
The locals make their money off of providing serves and selling so just understand its their job to try and get you to talk to them about time shares and excursions. Just walk by everyone till you get out the last set of doors. once outside look for the sign of your transport company. DO NOT talk to anyone inside. They are all salespeople.
Once you find your person you basically check in and then either go to the shuttle or belly up to the bar (yes, theres a bar outside the airport) and have a cerveza, tequila or some bottled agua.
No, not all of Cabo stinks like it does around the airport so don't worry. Just drink more tequila.

The ride to and from...
Theres a lot of construction happening right now so it added about a half hour to the drive (depending on traffic). There is more scheduled but no way for us to know when its going to happen. Relax, your in Cabo, take a cerveza with you on the bus and hold on. They drive like maniacs.

RIU & Smoking...
Smoking is still allowed almost everywhere. The only place that changed was on the upstairs deck. The inner parts are non-smoking when the little signs are out but they seem to be inconsistent. Example... most days it was non-smoking. The perimeter overlooking the resort and ocean is smoking. Usually at least one row deep, some days two rows. The day the place was packed with football fans it was fair game and smoking was allowed everywhere upstairs.
No smoking in the restaurants and at a couple of bars (only right up at the bar). They have still provided plenty of areas for us smokers though.
I spent many a day in the pool with a cigar, some rum and no one ever even looked at me funny.

CIGARS...
Man, it was hot and humid as fuck this trip. It rained the first two days we were there so it really was an anomaly for us. I had a problem with getting my La Imperiosa's to burn. They seem a little wetter than the other cigars anyway even though they were in a travel case with a 62% Boveda.
My tatts, romacraft and Illusion burned with no issues though.

Lighters...
DONT BRING YOUR GOOD LIGHTERS.
Ryan ( @AlohaStyle ) recommended one of these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Micro-Jet-Pocket-Torch/714255.uts?productVariantId=1626335&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=42-88824834-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=50001916&rid=20
I found one for about $15/$17 at my local O'reilys auto parts store. I tested it and it worked like a charm all week. I barely used one and a half lighters.
Heres what I did...
I bought one that did not have the word torch on the side!
I bought a few cheapo lighters that fit. $.79 at the gas station. Those were in my carry on. Just for my sanity I carried two and the wife carried two.
I separated the main body of the torch into two parts and packed that in my toiletry bag.
Worked like a charm! I did some tuning at home and found that removing the sparker on the lighter gave me better performance and it allowed me to adjust the output a little more. I had other cigar smokers coming to me for a light when they saw it.

The booze...
RIU has decent booze but your not going to find a Macallan 12 or anything like that.
In room - Cuervo Gold Tequla, Smirnoff Vodka, Bacardi white and Presidente Brandy on the wall. The fridge will have a six pack of Dos Equis (this is the beer of choice on the premises), water, pepsi, 7up and Miranda (its an orange soft drink). It gets restocked daily.
The bars have the basics but I noticed all had Bacardi Anejo (this is what I drank the entire trip). I saw bottles of Balantines and then everything else looked basic to me. If you want something more upscale either bring it or grab it at Duty Free in the baggage claim area.
- Depending on how many people go it might be nice to have a bottle of premium hooch to share at the first group cigar sacrifice.

The food...
We went down to RIU Santa Fe for dinner one night. BLECH! It was the same food as Palace but dry, and not as well prepared. The floors were slippery form the grease and the whole place was smokey from the grill.
No bueno!
We mainly ate at the buffet. Theres a different theme daily and its good food and well prepared.
As mentioned in another post there are a few restaurants. Most are reservation but a couple are walk in. A couple also have a pretty strict dress code. Reservations should be made early or on arrival because they fill up fast. My personal recommendation... stick with the buffet, the Italian and the Mexican. The steak place was always underwhelming and the one place called Krystal required dress pants and dress shoes and Im just not doing that on vacation.
We ate at the Japanese place on this trip (it was walk in and resort casual - shorts ok). Not bad but we still ended up at the buffet afterwards :)

Downtown...
Didn't make it down there. Our friends did and they say its the same as it has been for years. This means during the day you are getting asked every few steps to buy something (timeshares, goods, services, etc...). The same ol staple bars are still there and as mentioned before... the usual ones that change names yearly. Heck, they even went by J&J Hbanos for me and said they were still in business and the cleanest place on that street.

Bugs...
Bring bug spray. This year wasn't bad until the last couple days then the humidity got so bad shit must have hatched. UGH!

Sunblock...
Don't try and be brave... bring it and use it. I use SPF70 and Im still darker than before I went down there. There are places on site to purchase if you forgot it but most is suntan oil not sunblock and its expensive and its cash/credit. no charging it to the room.

Pool...
There are two pools. The party pool and the quiet pool. We hung out at both but mainly the party pool. Its a younger crowd but there is music and activities. They don't get all bent like the old folk at the quiet pool about the smoking (even through its allowed).
Let me just get this out there. If you think your too fat, too hairy or too white, your not. Just put on the sunblock and get in the pool. You will be much more comfortable if you do. There are all types here. It took em a few years to get over this crap and I wish I would have sooner.
Heck... this last trip Im sitting in the jacuzzi area and this good looking blond gets in and we start chatting. Then this cute little spunky hottie jumps over the edge and asks if we need drinks cause they were making a run to the bar. People are just having fun and chilling out.

Money...
The american dollar is accepted BUT they don't usually calculate for the exchange unless you are in a restaurant or legit shop. Most cabs, street vendors set a price in US dollars and thats it. Your credit card company will usually do the conversation (you may want to check with them) and there is usually a fee involved.
The resort has an ATM onsite if needed.

Tips...
Its all inclusive, no tipping needed... HOWEVER...
You may want to put some money aside for the following:
- Tip your driver a couple bucks for not killing you.
- Tip the kid that has to haul your luggage to your room a couple bucks. We were on the far end of the resort and its nice not to have to haul bags that far when its mid 90s and humid as a whales asshole.
- Tip your driver back to the airport for not killing you.
Again, its all inclusive so no one expects it but if you want...
- End of week tip for maid, she's been picking up your nasty ass towels and cleaning your explosive diarrhea off the bowl all week. She even makes those cool towel animals that your wife loves so much (mine does and the towel animals is hit and miss).
- Tip your favorite waiter or waitress. We usually go to the same people we see every year and they take care of us. Jonathan was a phenomenal supervisor in the buffet area, Colon was an awesome waiter that remembered us form our wedding two years ago (he actually came and got us from another table when he saw me). Aliceria was on top of shit for us at breakfast and lunch. She's a blast too... she's got a little attitude and likes to have fun (not that kind of fun you perverts).
- The pool server gets to know you and brings your drunk ass booze all day so its up to you. The wife drops a couple bucks every couple trips and at some point the cup just stays full. I didn't got to the pool one day and she said they were asking about me. They saw her and automatically brought rum for me. LOL

I hope this helps answer a few questions for you. If you have any others please ask and Ill answer as best as I can.

Rating - 100%
129   0   0
For any DFW brothers that are interested, checkout the prices on spirit airlines. Mine and my wife's ticket going was $160 total. I'm using miles to fly back to DFW. Prices for the resort are anywhere from $1475 for 2, up to $2500 for 2, depending where you look. I'm using a connect for my resort fees. I will call them this coming week, or next, to see if they'd offer a group rate. Once I find out, I'll post details.