What's new

Sushi Fans

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love sushi. My favorite is sea urchin. That is damned expensive and a good deal of people don't like it. It's great stuff though.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I tried sushi for the first time about three weeks ago and I will definatly have more! The price actually isnt that bad considering how much you get, but I wish the place I went offered a sampler that had all their different kinds in it... there is so much to pick from it could take a while to find out what ya like most.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I just found this thread and thought I'd offer this little tip.

Pick a place that you like (and plan on going to everytime you want sushi). Then sit at the counter, not a table. Eventually, the chef will recognize you and "hook you up" with larger pieces and some "custom" stuff. It's a ton of fun!

~M

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yea, we have a place here that is supposedly one of the best in the country.. the chef closed the store last year to go home to japan to learn more and improve... you go in and if you are smart you order the chefs selection for how ever many.....

Amazing, he makes some good shit..

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I def don't sit at the counter....usually take-out....I should go watch them prepare it though and do some schmoozing.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
N2Advnture said:
I just found this thread and thought I'd offer this little tip.

Pick a place that you like (and plan on going to everytime you want sushi). Then sit at the counter, not a table. Eventually, the chef will recognize you and "hook you up" with larger pieces and some "custom" stuff. It's a ton of fun!

~M
He's absolutely right. In addition, most places out here you can buy the sushi chef drinks. Nothing gets you better stuff than a well oiled sushi chef that knows you like his product. We keep the saki flowing. Plus its fun to watch them work

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of you guys know any cigar bars that make and serve sushi? Or sushi bars that roll fresh cigars?

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
NYLaw said:
Any of you guys know any cigar bars that make and serve sushi? Or sushi bars that roll fresh cigars?
Cigars rolled with fish oil covered hands, no thank you.:lookaroun

That's an interesting combination.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Saturday I went with some friends to this sushi/japanese buffet. Its a small chain called Minado. http://www.minado.com/

Lunch was only like $17 which if you can put away a lot of sushi is a bargain. Not the best sushi, but they had some pretty good stuff and the non-sushi dishers were good.

scottsins

Official BOTL Consigliere
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
go balls out and order toro (fatty tuna belly). it costs $15-20 for two pieces.

also, they'll never offer it, but ask if they have any yellow tail cheek. they give you the mandible thing with the most succulent meat ever on it.

it kicks much ass.
*we get badass sushi in Texas. it gets flown in from parts of the globe. being in cali isn't a huge advantage over us, since you don't get yellow tail snapper and blue fin tuna of the san diego coast or anything. it's imported from afar there too on lots of stuff.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
scottsins said:

also, they'll never offer it, but ask if they have any yellow tail cheek. they give you the mandible thing with the most succulent meat ever on it.

it kicks much ass.
*we get badass sushi in Texas. it gets flown in from parts of the globe. being in cali isn't a huge advantage over us, since you don't get yellow tail snapper and blue fin tuna of the san diego coast or anything. it's imported from afar there too on lots of stuff.
Our advantage is that we have more sushi restaurants per person than Texas, we don't put barbeque sauce onthe sushi, and the fish is sterved actually raw unlike broiled, (Dallas) or steamed (Houston) before it hits your plate. :nodlaugh: :nodlaugh:

scottsins

Official BOTL Consigliere
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
^
^
I know you're mostly kidding. I did want to put on this thread that according to lots of national rankings, there is a Top 5 NATIONAL sushi place in Austin, which surprises alot of people.

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love pretty much any all-you-can-gorge-yourself-with sushi restaurant... I know of at least 2 good ones in Manhattan.

I've loved sushi since a friend got me hooked on it in high school in LA more than 10 years ago and there are some spectacular sushi spot in LA... Even a very good all-you-can-eat, if it's still there, called Cowboy Sushi.

Here in NYC there are the Nobus, Japonica downtown, and although I've never been there, the sushi place at the Time Warner Ctr in Columbus Crcl (not Whole Foods) is supposed to be outstanding... Of course, at any of those higher-scale type places you have to be prepared to drop $70-$100 a person. And I'm not sure I know the difference!

(Regarding my sushi/cigar thing... Obviously I was kidding about the sushi rolls/cigar rollers, but it's not unreasonable to imagine a sushi bar with a cigar lounge.... Maybe they'd also have topless girls giving out favors too... With an ice cream sundae bar for dessert... And everything would be free...)

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Okay, so I'm a big fan of sushi (being half-Japanese and all) who used to live in California but now lives in Dallas...and I will be the first person to admit that there are some truly TERRIBLE sushi places here in Dallas! I have literally watched my mother push a plate of sushi away after eating a single piece. LOL!

Now having said that, there actually are some damn good sushi places in Dalllas that even my mother approves of. :yes: But considering the number of people in the metro area (5.5 million) its a shockingly small number of places. I bet there are less than 10 places I'd consider as "great" quality sushi restaurants.

BTW, there is a good (but very, very expensive) Japanese market here where you can buy an astounding variety of sushi/sashimi grade fish in tiny amounts so you can roll your own at home. It's actually not hard to make, assuming you have a proper rice maker and short grain Japanese rice. It just takes practice.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scottsins said:

it kicks much ass.
Now, that is some good stuff. I will have to take your advice on the yellowtail.