What's new

Sushi Fans

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Electric Sheep said:
Okay, so I'm a big fan of sushi (being half-Japanese and all) who used to live in California but now lives in Dallas...and I will be the first person to admit that there are some truly TERRIBLE sushi places here in Dallas! I have literally watched my mother push a plate of sushi away after eating a single piece. LOL!

Now having said that, there actually are some damn good sushi places in Dalllas that even my mother approves of. :yes: But considering the number of people in the metro area (5.5 million) its a shockingly small number of places. I bet there are less than 10 places I'd consider as "great" quality sushi restaurants.

BTW, there is a good (but very, very expensive) Japanese market here where you can buy an astounding variety of sushi/sashimi grade fish in tiny amounts so you can roll your own at home. It's actually not hard to make, assuming you have a proper rice maker and short grain Japanese rice. It just takes practice.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

All kidding aside I have had good sushi everywhere I go, you just have to know the places. Like I said, Boston had some Awesome places.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Yea we have 4-5 great places, and yes you will drop 80-100 per person, and I have done it and yes you can tell the difference...

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Most I've ever spent was about $40 on myself. I think I'd quit eating if I spent $100 on myself for sushi.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I've spent about 20 but cause I limited myself. I could easily order a ton of specialty rolls and eat away.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
We typically spend between $25-$35 per person at our primary sushi restaurant, but that's without drinks and tip, and of course that's using a bit of restraint when ordering. When we go crazy tho, it can easily jump to $80-$100 per person.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
had been wanting to try Sushi for years, never had it. My son loves it. We went to a very highly rated Sushi place right in my town. I almost puked. I have never tasted worse crap in all my life. Never again.

scottsins

Official BOTL Consigliere
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
electric sheep:

go to NAAN in Plano/Frisco. we go there every time, and it's also highly recommended by my chef friend.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Definitely is somewhat of an acquired taste but even my first time I didn't thing it tasted like crap. Just had to get over the texture.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
It's definitely the texture that will make or break a person that likes sushi. Especially since you can't really bite it without it falling apart.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
scottsins said:
electric sheep:

go to NAAN in Plano/Frisco. we go there every time, and it's also highly recommended by my chef friend.

That is one of the "good" places on my list. It's very good, but I'd say that Sushi Saki in Plano is better.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
MithShrike said:
My favorite is sea urchin.
Sea urchin (Uni) is my wife's favorite, too...but honestly, as much as I like sushi, I just can't eat that stuff. The texture is just too much to handle.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I haven't scanned the whole thread but has anyone eaten at a East Sushi Resturant.

Basically the deal is you sit around a pit where the sushi chefs prepare the food, then place it on a conveyor belt which is the parimeter of the pit. You can pull the dishes off of the pieces you like, all the sushi is covered in a plastic see through top as it is on the belt.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Poni said:
I haven't scanned the whole thread but has anyone eaten at a East Sushi Resturant.

Basically the deal is you sit around a pit where the sushi chefs prepare the food, then place it on a conveyor belt which is the parimeter of the pit. You can pull the dishes off of the pieces you like, all the sushi is covered in a plastic see through top as it is on the belt.
Many times in San Francisco. Fun. We were raised on the stuff. Parents took us a small kids to sushi restaurants. Started with rolls then shrimp and on up. Did the same with my kids.

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Poni said:

Common in Japan, I believe.

nb: I have resevations at Morimoto's new restaurant on 10th in two weeks. WooHoo!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
NYLaw said:
I love pretty much any all-you-can-gorge-yourself-with sushi restaurant... I know of at least 2 good ones in Manhattan.

I've loved sushi since a friend got me hooked on it in high school in LA more than 10 years ago and there are some spectacular sushi spot in LA... Even a very good all-you-can-eat, if it's still there, called Cowboy Sushi.

Here in NYC there are the Nobus, Japonica downtown, and although I've never been there, the sushi place at the Time Warner Ctr in Columbus Crcl (not Whole Foods) is supposed to be outstanding... Of course, at any of those higher-scale type places you have to be prepared to drop $70-$100 a person. And I'm not sure I know the difference!

(Regarding my sushi/cigar thing... Obviously I was kidding about the sushi rolls/cigar rollers, but it's not unreasonable to imagine a sushi bar with a cigar lounge.... Maybe they'd also have topless girls giving out favors too... With an ice cream sundae bar for dessert... And everything would be free...)
Some friends of mine keep raving about this place: Yuka Restaurant 1557 2nd Ave, New York, NY

They said the sushi there was so good especially the tuna. Its like $18 for all you can eat but you have to finish the whole platter or they make you pay for it. These friends can put down mass amounts of food, it almost makes me not want to go next time they go there cause after you are full they keep eating and eating. :bigeyes:

NYLaw

Still learning...
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Joshua. I believe that is one of the places that I was referring to... In the low 60s on Second Ave...

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
joshua said:
Some friends of mine keep raving about this place: Yuka Restaurant 1557 2nd Ave, New York, NY

They said the sushi there was so good especially the tuna. Its like $18 for all you can eat but you have to finish the whole platter or they make you pay for it. These friends can put down mass amounts of food, it almost makes me not want to go next time they go there cause after you are full they keep eating and eating. :bigeyes:
very good too

superb - try yama on 17th and irving place (not the one on houston)

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I was eating sushi at a sushi bar once, and the sushi chef saw me mixing the wasabi with soy sauce, and he told me it would taste much better if I didn't mix the two. He was right. Very rarely will I get rolls anymore, I almost always go for the sashimi or the pieces (I am really fond of the eel). One day I will make it to Japan and try the pufferfish.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
pharmgator said:
I was eating sushi at a sushi bar once, and the sushi chef saw me mixing the wasabi with soy sauce, and he told me it would taste much better if I didn't mix the two. He was right. Very rarely will I get rolls anymore, I almost always go for the sashimi or the pieces (I am really fond of the eel). One day I will make it to Japan and try the pufferfish.
If you don't mix it, how do you get a small enough portion where its not too strong? The reason I mix it is so I end up with a paste that I can dab the rolls into easily and not get too much.