What's new

The Black Dog Coffee Company.....World Debut!

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
My question...is the Guatamalan just more of an oily bean? Is that what is making it stick?
That would be the only explanation I could think of. The Ethiopian is a lighter roast (just at the verge of second crack) which means more of the oils are still captured inside the cell structure of the bean because they haven't been released by the snap, crackle, pop of the cell walls breaking down at second crack. The Guat is roasted to the dark side of medium, a little ways into second crack. Meaning that more of the oil has been released from the bean.
I'm intrigued. I'll have to study that some.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
The funny part, that isn't even an expensive grinder. You can spend a whole lot more on one.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
That is the one that I use, the Capresso Infinity that is metal, rather than the ABS plastic. From what I could understand when I read up on them, the blade grinders build up more heat that can destroy the grind's flavor before you even brew, while a burr grinder (like the Capresso) does not do this. (Sounded inconsequential to me at first, but then I likened it to lighting my cigar with a butane lighter rather than a zippo...both will light the cigar, but one way is simply better, for minute reasons of taste that are not always readily apparent)

It also will give you a very even grind and will grind it as fine as you could ever want for esspresso or french press coffee. I don't have an esspresso maker, but use a Technivorm drip coffeemaker that makes the best cup of coffee I have ever tasted.

The Capresso doesn't have a pulse button, but you can nudge the timer for the same effect.

I loooked at the Solis Maestro also, but read some reviews about it breaking, so I went with the Capresso. I expect that this rascal will outlast me.

My only complaint is that it can be a headache to clean the thing out everytime. The first time that I cleaned it, I made the mistake of trying to blow through the chute and ended up with a face full of grounds.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Grinders:
A good grinder is essential if you want to continue to explore fine coffee. Shawn, with your new found passion you'll do yourself an injustice if you don't upgrade your grinder (IMO).
A blade grinder breaks the bean by continually slapping it with the rotating blade, resulting in coffee particles ranging from dust to boulders.
A burr grinder shaves the coffee bean at a much slower rate giving you a more consistent grind (you'll still get some dust) and causes less heat buildup during the grinding process.
The Infinity is a good mid-range grinder for drip, vac, press pot, etc. That's what I currently use. Another is the Bodum Antigua HERE. I'll be carrying these once I get the website up and running. I'll also probably stock the Bodum blade grinder for more of an entry level machine. At some point I hope to add top quality machines like the Mazzer Mini and the Macap. This type of grinder is essential if you get seriously into espresso. I know from trying to do espresso with my Infinity. It'll work but not nearly as well. Just like a blade vs. burr grinder.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Good post Ted! We were writing at the same time.
Have you tried Uncle Bens Minute Rice for cleaning your grinder? There's also a product called Grindz that is supposed to be good. I find that Uncle Bens does well at a much lower cost. You do have to blow out the white dust afterwards though.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Have you tried Uncle Bens Minute Rice for cleaning your grinder? There's also a product called Grindz that is supposed to be good. I find that Uncle Bens does well at a much lower cost. You do have to blow out the white dust afterwards though.
Thanks, I'm going to give this a try! I can get it pretty clean now, but it seems to take a lot of brushing, wiping, shaking, etc. I've even thought about taking the damn thing outside and hitting it with a couple of shots from a can of compressed air.

pdonlin

aka Tumbleweed
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I figured the difference between the ABS Infinity and the Brushed Chrome Infinity was simply looks; is it really worth the $50 more?

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I figured the difference between the ABS Infinity and the Brushed Chrome Infinity was simply looks; is it really worth the $50 more?
It might depend on how much use it will see. Weekends only and the ABS might be fine, but with daily use you might want the heavier-duty version.

I believe that the die-cast housing with brushed chrome finish is much heavier and more substantial than the plastic. I can tell you that its weight keeps it glued to the counter! I don't know whether or not the plastic one would vibrate and "walk" when grinding, but this one certainly will not.

The additional price was worth it to me because I don't intend to ever have to buy another grinder.

The metal is also supposed to conduct less static when grinding, but I can't say whether this is true or not. Quality-wise, I think you'd be happy with either one.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, my insomnia is working overtime......

I know that topping this thread this late is probably bad form, but I have to relate the "Worst Coffee Story Ever...."

It was yesterday morning, 3:00 am and I woke up to a stupid Labrador licking my elbow. Normally, I just smack her on the snout and go back to sleep, but she did it a couple of times indicating that she needed to go outside and take a leak or something.

I stumbled to the back door yelling "DOGS OUT"and both of the hounds followed me to the door and and then outside. I locked the door, fully intending to leave them outside for the rest of the night.

(Stephanie will let them out and then stay up for a bit and then let them back in. Not me. [fuckin' dogs])

At 3:30 am I woke up because I thought I smelled something burning. Instantly awake, I hopped out of bed and took a cruise through the house. Nope......nothing on fire. Looked down, and realized I was naked, (it was cold too, but I would appreciate it if you all just keep any remarks to yourselves).

No smoke, no fire, no dogs..... No dogs on fire.

It took me a few minutes, but I finally figured it out. We sleep with the windows open when it is cool outside. At first I thought it was one of the neighbors with an open kitchen window and a coffee pot on "auto".

When I figured out that the smell was coming in ALL of the windows, I remembered that there is a local coffee shop 2 blocks away that roasts their own coffe beans in huge kettles. Last night the wind was blowing opposite from the normal direction.

Coffee definitely wakes me up in the morning...

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
You really should start a book. Your stories are the best. I keep hoping for pictures of a stuffed mockingbird.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Brian,

You menitoned that you'd like to carry the Mazzer grinders; certainly the top end of home grinders. I wonder if you've thought about the Rancilio Rocky? I believe the price is similiar to the Macap, but I wonder if the quality is also equal.

My old Gaggia is holding up to my new found love of freshly roasted and ground coffee, but I don't know for how long. Which means I will be in the market for a new grinder. I sent you pictures of my new automatic espresso machine, which has it's own grinder, so I don't have to worry about espresso grind. But I do want something that's going to hold up to daily use.

Naturally I'd like to spend as little as possible, but quality is more important than price. Any suggestions?

BTW, I've PM'd this, but I will add my public praise to the others listed here. BD coffee is fantastic. Thanks. Now that I'm roasting my own, you've set the standard.

Mike