What's new

the neophyte piper diary

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Will do, thanks for the tip again!

Does this activated charcoal come in a brick or powder form? If that really works I'm in business. Otherwise it's the outdoor storage space on my balcony, that would probably not be good for the wood on decent pipes....

Something like this?
http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/filter-media/fluval-c2-activated-carbon-zid36-17097/cat-36-catid-300089?var_id=36-17097&_t=pfm=search
Yup, that's it. It's powder but not fine. More like the size of play sand

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Start off with just tossing the pouch in. It will keep things cleaner for you. If you find that one isn't enough, toss a second one in. Then, if those two aren't enough on their own, I'd say open the pouch and put them in a bowl.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

Well it's been about a month and a half since I originally posted... it seems longer.

I just wanted to say that at this point I have a nice little collection of pipes and tobaccos, but more importantly, I am still loving on the pipe.

Today is the perfect measure as to exactly how much I am loving on the pipe. I took today off and I have been out and about "playing." I have smoked 3 bowls thus far, and not even thought about smoking a cigar once until I sat down to write this. And I have three humi's packed full of "quality" cigars I have come to love. I am just enjoying the pipe that much more. That says something - to me at least.

I can't really put a finger as to why I am liking pipe more these days. You got to maintain the pipes. Loading a pipe can be messy... the looks I get as I drive along, nose warmer in tow, is a bit over the top. But the taste. Yum. I just love the taste of tobacco out of a pipe it seems lol.

The fact is I don't need to justify it - just live it. My cigars really are going to get some great age going on :)!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the same way when I discovered the pipe. I went from smoking several cigars a week to one. It also changed my cigar buying habits to better quality sticks since I don't smoke them near as often. Since I'm going to Cigarfest I'll be bringing home a bunch of questionables but that's OK because I have been running out of hand outs for my friends that are only cigar smokers around me. :smuggrin:

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
My humi is stocked. The bombs keep coming. But last one I smoked was saturday night in the parking lot of the Nassau Coliseum for the NY Islanders final home game.

And I've been trying to make a dent in my pipe baccy. I enjoy it more especially now at the local B&M as guys come up to me and strike convo about piping and say "damn, I might get mine all fired up again and come back here to smoke 'em." Which is awesome to see there's pipers still alive and well!!! They're all just in hiding.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm still on the fence on which one I like more. i love my cigars, but damn I love my piping now too. I'm still very new at this and still need to light my pipe a zillion times while smoking.

You say you have to maintain them? What do you guys do besides run a pipe cleaner through the stem the next day? I leave mine outside to air out after done smoking it, then run a cleaner through it the next morning...

Great post man, makes me want to fire one up right now. It's a bit cold out though to dedicate 45 minutes out there!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm still on the fence on which one I like more. i love my cigars, but damn I love my piping now too. I'm still very new at this and still need to light my pipe a zillion times while smoking.

You say you have to maintain them? What do you guys do besides run a pipe cleaner through the stem the next day? I leave mine outside to air out after done smoking it, then run a cleaner through it the next morning...

Great post man, makes me want to fire one up right now. It's a bit cold out though to dedicate 45 minutes out there!
There is nothing wrong with re-lighting. I looked at is as a bad thing too. But I've done it from 1 or 2x all the way to 5 or 6x relighting. But for me it depends if I put it down to bs with someone or do something, just didn't have a good packed bowl which I see happening to me more than anything, or just never had a good light from the start.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - some of my plug and flake tobaccos are impossible to keep lit! Especially if you abandon your pipe for a while be it walking away from it or simply daydreaming and forgetting to take a pull lol. The plugs I find myself relighting the most. I am getting pretty good at keeping ready rubbed or ribbon cuts burning throughout the bowl. Just leaving the pipe in my mouth and the little bit of air being pushed into the pipe as I normally exhale (I breath in via my nose with pipe in mouth lol) seems to keep it burning.

Either way - like Chris states, relighting isn't a problem, or a concern.

That was another thing I forgot about mentioning though. What I absolutely love about a pipe is, though I might budget an hour or whatever to smoke a larger bowl, I never feel like I am trapped smoking it like I do a larger stick. If something pulls me away and I let it go out while I attend to it - I come back and relight. Not a problem. Not $10.00 blown either lol.

Now don't get me wrong, I still love my cigars and taking the time to smoke them, but having a young family, I am sure you can see why the ability to abandon your smoke for a period of time can be advantageous lol.

Anyway - maintaining. Yeah, not much too it. But every now and again I will clean it out with an overproof alcohol I got at the liquor store. The guy in the video says you should do it every 4 or 5 smokes. I try to be vigilant, but I can never remember how many smokes I have put into a pipe lol. I need a way to track that lol.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigar-101/article/43/maintaining-your-pipe

Rating - 100%
51   0   0

On a regular basis, I just run a pipe cleaner (dipped in alcohol) through the stem and shank and then take a clean soft cloth and just give it a wipe to remove fingerprints (this has nothing to do with pipe maintenance and everything to do with liking a clean looking pipe!)

I have all the stuff to build a pipe retort but haven't gotten around to drilling out the stopper yet but, once I do that, I'll use the retort on a pipe every few months.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also caution not to get too caught up with the idea that you need a regularly scheduled cleaning. If the pipe is tasting sour, clean it.

More to the point, don't let the cleaning of your pipes become such a chore that you no longer enjoy the hobby
Nice!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I run a pipe cleaner through usually a little while after smoking it. And I inspect the bowl as I've been finding pieces of baccy stuck to the inside the bowl. Mind you most of my pipes aren't "fully broken in" yet and maybe have 3 or 4 bowls smoked in each so far.