What's new

The "Official Show Your Coolidor" Thread

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I have a question, I was ring to set up a 48 quart cooler and I can't seem to get the smell to completely go away. Should I take it back and try again? How much can the plastic smell really affect the smokes?
What have you done so far to get rid of that smell?
I scrubbed everything down and let air dry twice the day I got it. Left it closed with baking soda then when I would get home from work would let it sit in the sun for a bit. 3 days of that and then I cleaned it again. I haven't done the activated carbon yet, but i feel like it won't help.
Hot water and white vinegar. That will pretty much kill everything. It's amazing stuff.

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I have a question, I was ring to set up a 48 quart cooler and I can't seem to get the smell to completely go away. Should I take it back and try again? How much can the plastic smell really affect the smokes?
What have you done so far to get rid of that smell?
I scrubbed everything down and let air dry twice the day I got it. Left it closed with baking soda then when I would get home from work would let it sit in the sun for a bit. 3 days of that and then I cleaned it again. I haven't done the activated carbon yet, but i feel like it won't help.
Hot water and white vinegar. That will pretty much kill everything. It's amazing stuff.
It's not uncommon for new plastic to have an off gassing effect for awhile. Depends on what your cooler is made of. Just a two cent throw in

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
So I couldn't resist. The 150qt setup is genius ! I had to take a ride down the slope with you guys :). I got the smell out fairly quick. I took all the boxes I had, wiped them down with DW, along with any other piece of cedar I had, and threw them in with 2 bowls of more DW. I want the boxes to retain some rh before I stick the KL in there along with my smokes because all the boxes have been sitting on my dresser for a couple of months with no sort of rh getting to them because of winter. I'm going to let it sit 24hrs and then check the hydro. Once it reads about 65-70% I will take the bowls of DW out and the KL goes in & start to add my cigars as long as rh is steady. Thanks to all for the great info in this thread.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Northwest Suburbs of the Windy City of Chicago
Good for you bro!! It's the best thing I've ever done for my cigars!!!
Thanks brother. I already made the same mistake twice and went too small with the humi's. They got filled a lot quicker than expected
Yeah, so move into this 150 qt mammoth, and weeks later I'm at about max capacity. It won't last long, but you'll have fun along the way!!!

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Good for you bro!! It's the best thing I've ever done for my cigars!!!
Thanks brother. I already made the same mistake twice and went too small with the humi's. They got filled a lot quicker than expected
Yeah, so move into this 150 qt mammoth, and weeks later I'm at about max capacity. It won't last long, but you'll have fun along the way!!!
Haha oh man. It might take me a couple of months or longer, but it is fun :)

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
When you guys spray the KL with the DW, i assume you spray just the top, or after you spray should you shake the KL around to "mix it up" after spraying, or just the top is cool ?