What's new

The "Official Show Your Coolidor" Thread

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Guys you seriously only need about a pound of the ExquisiCat and I tested mine before I put it in and it had a RH of about 60% already.

d-boy

Zach Emerson DeBoy
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Here is mine from a few days ago. When I snapped this, I had yet to put my KL in yet. I did that yesterday and am now waiting for the Rh to come up to my desired reading. As of this morning it was at 57%. Once it hits 63-64% I'll move my sticks over

Two things different from Kloned: I added the battery powered fan and I put my shelves in upside down so there there is a lip to stop anything from sliding out.

Very nice!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Guys you seriously only need about a pound of the ExquisiCat and I tested mine before I put it in and it had a RH of about 60% already.
I put the KL in dry and waited about 8 hours before checking it and it was reading 47%. We've had such a dry Winter here...

But I bought those empty boxes from a store where they were just sitting out in the air, outside of the humidor, so they were dry. I think a big part of the reason it's taking a while to get up to the right Rh is that the boxes are soaking up some of the moisture. So last night I wiped them down lightly with DW.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Here is mine from a few days ago. When I snapped this, I had yet to put my KL in yet. I did that yesterday and am now waiting for the Rh to come up to my desired reading. As of this morning it was at 57%. Once it hits 63-64% I'll move my sticks over

Two things different from Kloned: I added the battery powered fan and I put my shelves in upside down so there there is a lip to stop anything from sliding out.

Very nice!
Thanks! I got it finished just in time for your little escapade from this past weekend.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I put the KL in dry and waited about 8 hours before checking it and it was reading 47%. We've had such a dry Winter here...

But I bought those empty boxes from a store where they were just sitting out in the air, outside of the humidor, so they were dry. I think a big part of the reason it's taking a while to get up to the right Rh is that the boxes are soaking up some of the moisture. So last night I wiped them down lightly with DW.
Just curious, did you put a bowl of DW in there?

I may have missed it but the way I read your post, you had a cooler filled with cigar boxes and then you stuck KL in there.

Sorry if I read that wrong.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I probably just wrote it quickly and skipped a bunch of stuff...

After putting the shelves in and putting it into place, I wanted to snap a quick picture to show a buddy of mine what it looked like in progress. So I just tossed the boxes in there to give a sense of scale in the picture. Shortly afterward, I put the KL in (a little more than one pound), closed it up for several hours to see where the Rh was (I had left the boxes in there out of laziness). That's when I got the Rh reading of 47%. I've been spraying the KL every morning (a few sprays at a time) to raise the Rh. It's been 63% since yesterday (Sunday) morning so, tonight, I'll check it again and, if it's still somewhere between 64%, I'll start moving the cigars in. If it's still in the lower 60s, I'll spray the KL a couple more times or wipe down the boxes with DW again. If it's below 60%, I'll do both.

I never did put a bowl of DW in there for one reason only - totally forgot! :rofl: I was so concerned about making sure the cooler was clean and plastic-smell free, and cutting the shelves to the right size, getting the right KL, that the incredibly simple step of a bowl of freakin' water just slipped my mind entirely.

Oh well, the only consequence is that it is taking a bit longer to get the Rh up. But, by tonight, it should be good to go. And just in time because of H3rrington's eff'ing little stunt.

I'll post a better quality picture when it's all said and done.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I probably just wrote it quickly and skipped a bunch of stuff...

After putting the shelves in and putting it into place, I wanted to snap a quick picture to show a buddy of mine what it looked like in progress. So I just tossed the boxes in there to give a sense of scale in the picture. Shortly afterward, I put the KL in (a little more than one pound), closed it up for several hours to see where the Rh was (I had left the boxes in there out of laziness). That's when I got the Rh reading of 47%. I've been spraying the KL every morning (a few sprays at a time) to raise the Rh. It's been 63% since yesterday (Sunday) morning so, tonight, I'll check it again and, if it's still somewhere between 64%, I'll start moving the cigars in. If it's still in the lower 60s, I'll spray the KL a couple more times or wipe down the boxes with DW again. If it's below 60%, I'll do both.

I never did put a bowl of DW in there for one reason only - totally forgot! :rofl: I was so concerned about making sure the cooler was clean and plastic-smell free, and cutting the shelves to the right size, getting the right KL, that the incredibly simple step of a bowl of freakin' water just slipped my mind entirely.

Oh well, the only consequence is that it is taking a bit longer to get the Rh up. But, by tonight, it should be good to go. And just in time because of H3rrington's eff'ing little stunt.

I'll post a better quality picture when it's all said and done.
Ah okay, hey whatever works! Sweet coolidor too, lookin good.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Here you go, a couple of snaps with it almost done. Why almost? After Rupe's bomb today I realize I need trays not boxes.

Still it was really satisfying to move the cigars to their new home

Rating - 100%
15   0   0

Keep in mind that if the rh ever starts to go up past 70% (esp in the summer) you can microwave the KL to suck moisture back out and get to a good level again. Have fun filling that thing up!!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0

Keep in mind that if the rh ever starts to go up past 70% (esp in the summer) you can microwave the KL to suck moisture back out and get to a good level again. Have fun filling that thing up!!
Good point! I'm hoping that, since my basement seems really stable, I won't have too much trouble but that's a helluva good idea.

I used just over 1 lb of KL but bought a 7 lb bag so even if I screw it up in the microwave, I have plenty

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Looking Good Brother!!! I will post updated pics of mine at the end of the week may be looking for another :hammersma

Keep them coming guys!!!!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here it is, my first coolidor. I'm using 2lbs of heartfelt beads along with the Xikar PuroTemp wireless hygrometer system. So far it's working out great!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have a question, I was ring to set up a 48 quart cooler and I can't seem to get the smell to completely go away. Should I take it back and try again? How much can the plastic smell really affect the smokes?
What have you done so far to get rid of that smell?
I scrubbed everything down and let air dry twice the day I got it. Left it closed with baking soda then when I would get home from work would let it sit in the sun for a bit. 3 days of that and then I cleaned it again. I haven't done the activated carbon yet, but i feel like it won't help.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
The carbon worked really well for me but I used a lot and let it fit for four days (opening it daily to check)

How strong is the smell? If it's faint, try getting some cigar boxes (empty) in there and see if the cedar can overpower the plastic

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
The carbon worked really well for me but I used a lot and let it fit for four days (opening it daily to check)

How strong is the smell? If it's faint, try getting some cigar boxes (empty) in there and see if the cedar can overpower the plastic
The smell is moderate when I first open it after letting it sit, then only noticeable if you get a good whiff lol. I'll see if any b&ms will give or sell me some. If not, I'll try the carbon then return it as my last option