What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I'm talking Jim Beam in general. I've enjoyed Bakers and BH in the past (although the 80 proof BH tasted a bit watered down for me). It's been awhile since I've tried them, so I need to revisit. Bottles like White, Black, Distillers Cut and Bookers all have that grain flavor I'm speaking of. Standard KC does too. And off-the-shelf KC SiB usually does to a lesser extent. I think I spoiled my palate for Beam products when I was invited to help with my first barrel picks. Tasting different SiB samples side by side gives opportunity to really explore personal preferences, and the differences really stand out. Once I noticed that grain note, or Beam "funk" as its commonly called, I couldnt miss it in subsequent opportunities to drink their lineup... Not to say it's bad, by any means, but just not my preference.
I haven't had Baker's yet, it's on my list though. I was gonna try it one time but decided on Noah's Mill instead, which turned out to be amazing!!! I hear what you're saying though. When I first tried Booker's it was at JR Cigars in Whippany NJ. I ordered a snifter of it neat. It really took me by surprise as it was my first barrel proof bourbon (126.7 proof). The finish was never ending and the mouthfeel was incredibly oily. I only had about 5 or 6 bourbons under my belt too and I think the highest proofed one was Elijah Craig Small Batch 12 Year. I think I can even remember the order up until that point for giggles: Woodford Distiller's, Eagle Rare SB Store Pick, Angel's Envy, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's, Blanton's SB. I have had a number of snifter's of Bookers since then and it has remained one of my favorite readily available bourbons on the shelf. However Jim Beam could do something about the price, as it is close to $90 (George T Stagg territory). They could ditch that ridiculous wooden box presentation and I think that would help.

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its quite young...its leaning more to the sweet side with that corn/wheat mash. Not what I normally drink, but it has its merits. I really appreciate you sending it to me brother.
Glad to :) it is a bit on the sweeter side I agree. They are such a new company still that I dont think they have even been open long enough to have anything very old. I follow them on social media so I'm hoping I'll be able to catch if they roll out anything with a little more maturity in the future.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Speaking of bourbon sets. After 3 years I finally gave Elijah Craig a second chance. It’s obviously different from the once 12 year small batch but still really good. The glass is ok but nowhere near the quality of my Woodford one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I miss my 12yr old - was my go-to for a long time!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots of good bourbon and Repeal Day specials (half off all Old Forester products). Today was a good day.

Russell’s Reserve Private Barrel

Old Forester 1910 Old Fine Whiskey

Makers Mark Private Select

Then a half off Repeal Day flight of Old Forester products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why have I never heard of this "Repeal Day" before? I just googled it I'm fascinated, that's a holiday I can get behind.

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Last night we tasted (and drank) the following at Bourbon club:
2017-4 Bookers
2018-1 Bookers
2017 Little Book
20181206_200641.jpg

Also our bourbon club did a barrel pick at 1792....if anyone is interested in this cask strength, we have about 40 bottles left. They're $47 each 750ml, and we should have them in-hand next week.

Shipping will be based on you, so not sure if its worth it. For you KC guys, you can put in the note to give to me and pick up locally.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfEM9ysK_mXLRy8pA7zT-35MQjhiWDKBp-qJrrcgdQPvbKRCQ/viewform

kit_luce

To the ones we can save, and those we can't.
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Congrats!!!
Thanks man :) I was very nervous waiting for that email. The 20 on 1 interview was very nerve racking. I wish I could say the hard part is over, but it is very much just getting started lol. At least now it will be excited nervous instead of just nervous