What's new

Today's Bourbon

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

Opened my Front Porch Batch last night, and was pretty surprised at what I got. First (neck) pour, I've never tasted this kind of sweetness in Booker's before. The nose reveal how sweet the palate would be.... brown sugar and vanilla just busting through everything, while the finish was long and full of heat. Very interesting but very muddled.

I drank half the pour neat and then added a couple drops of water to see how it wou;d change. It didn't affect the sweetness at all, just tamed the heat slightly.

So about an hour later I decided I would have another half a pour before bed. Almost all the brown sugar and vanilla on the palate was gone. WTF? Could this be an anomaly from the neck pour? Could the bourbon change that fast after being uncorked? I am stumped. I will say that (with the sweetness), this was one of the most interesting Booker's I have had, but for sure I would put it in the middle of the pack for the palate.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Had 3+ hours to kill in the same area, between a physical and a haircut. Hit every small liquor store I drove past, and found three good ones.

Stagg Jr Batch 10 (I have 12 and 13)
Hancock Presidential SiB (first time)
Booker's Kentucky Chew (backup bottle)

So I figure my haircut cost me about $190 :LOL:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will have to give it a try. It's actually at least $15+ cheaper than the McKenna here, as the cheapest I've seen the McKenna is $69.
I definitely recommend it. First two pours were amazing.$69 for McKenna is just sad considering not too long ago you could find it on the shelf just as easy as you could Evan Williams Single Barrel, and at the low price of $35. Times have changed. Cheapest I could find was $44, but they sold out quick and haven’t seen it since. The BiB Old Forester is well worth the extra $6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I definitely recommend it. First two pours were amazing.$69 for McKenna is just sad considering not too long ago you could find it on the shelf just as easy as you could Evan Williams Single Barrel, and at the low price of $35. Times have changed. Cheapest I could find was $44, but they sold out quick and haven’t seen it since. The BiB Old Forester is well worth the extra $6
Matt, I hear McKenna used to be plentiful around me at about $34. Now it's double that, single bottles in small stores. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd buy it again even at $34. I'll definitely give the OF 1897 a try. Even though I pretty much busted my budget yesterday. :LOL:

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Cracked the Stagg Jr. Batch 13 last night. Good, but not even close to Batch 12. Imma need a backup for the 12, it's outstanding.

Pour of McKenna 10 Year afterwards. They want $69 in my neck of the woods for this. Not gonna happen, I wouldn't pay over $40 for this. Actually, I'd just spend $25 for a better BiB, and 33% volume more to boot (Early Times BiB).