What's new

Today's Bourbon

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
First pour of the night was part of a blind tasting I'm doing on another board.

The sample had surprising sweetness, it was smooth and balanced, but nothing I would seek out. I guessed it to be Jefferson's. I was wrong.

Finsihed the evening with a couple pours that are a little more in my wheelhouse.

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
The 1897 BiB you will definitely enjoy, I certainly did. This one drank above its proof and had a nice oily mouthfeel with gobs of viscosity and flavor. Old Forester might just be my new favorite distillery, it has surpassed Buffalo Trace as a whole. Its just got “The Fizz”. Too bad I can’t get this excited about anything else Brown-Forman has to offer. I even love their 86 Proof bourbon and don’t even get me started on their Rye
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Forester is definitely one of my top choices for distilleries as well, though it's hard to top Heaven Hill in my opinion. My bourbon cabinet is made up mostly of OF, Heaven Hill, and Buffalo Trace with a couple Four Roses and a Jefferson's Ocean in the mix. Other than the Old Forester, Brown-Foreman's only other real product that I care for is Woodford reserve (though I rarely ever drink it anymore). That being said I do have a bottle of Jack Daniels No. 27 Gold and it is phenomenally smooth.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Old Forester is definitely one of my top choices for distilleries as well, though it's hard to top Heaven Hill in my opinion. My bourbon cabinet is made up mostly of OF, Heaven Hill, and Buffalo Trace with a couple Four Roses and a Jefferson's Ocean in the mix. Other than the Old Forester, Brown-Foreman's only other real product that I care for is Woodford reserve (though I rarely ever drink it anymore). That being said I do have a bottle of Jack Daniels No. 27 Gold and it is phenomenally smooth.
I feel you on Heaven Hill. They definitely have the most brands that get me excited, and are readily available to me. Something i can’t say about Buffalo Trace, which these days is almost synonymous with the word “allocated”. You hit the nail on the head with Woodford Reserve. It was their bourbon that got me into the hobby, but I don’t reach for it unless it’s offered to me. I just wish Chris Morris would offer something that’s readily available with a higher proof, then the humdrum 90.4 they seem so attached to. I certainly am not ok with dropping $100 for their Master Series and these new releases (Wheat/Malt) aren’t getting me excited. Their Double Oak is good, but at that price, I’d rather reach for an Old Forester Prohibition Style.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last night's pours:

What did you think about the Nikka? Japanese Whiskey is good, but I’m not crazy about their prices or inconsistencies between brands. The problem is they don’t have any rules over there, which can either be a good or a bad thing depending on how you approach it.

One of my very few experiences

My close friend who gave me the idea for the Infinity Bottle, who made his money as a pharmaceutical chemist described one of the characters on the nosing as “fresh clean hair”. I had never heard that one before and it was pretty strange to hear. Although when hired he was regarded as having a super sensory gland, so I dare not second guess him. Hannibal Lector would at least approve lol

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had cigars with my new neighbor recently. He’s also a bourbon fan. It was almost fate that I moved here, especially with my cigar lounge being closed to the public for 3 months now.

Started off with a pour of Elijah Craig Small Batch

Then moved onto his bottle of IW Harper. Never had this one before. It was pretty good for its $20 price.

Finished the night with a real powerhouse. My new neighbor had to add water, something tells me he’s not a High Proof kind of guy by the faces he was making lol, so I’m not going to break out the big boys.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last nights pour while watching The Lincoln Lawyer.

Doesn’t get much better than this. At $26 this is my favorite whiskey when considering its price, character and finish. If you haven’t tried it yet I highly recommend giving it a shot

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
What did you think about the Nikka? Japanese Whiskey is good, but I’m not crazy about their prices or inconsistencies between brands. The problem is they don’t have any rules over there, which can either be a good or a bad thing depending on how you approach it.

One of my very few experiences

My close friend who gave me the idea for the Infinity Bottle, who made his money as a pharmaceutical chemist described one of the characters on the nosing as “fresh clean hair”. I had never heard that one before and it was pretty strange to hear. Although when hired he was regarded as having a super sensory gland, so I dare not second guess him. Hannibal Lector would at least approve lol

Japanese stuff is great, but the problem is it’s in such short supply that prices have skyrocketed to an unreasonable level. The Nikka 17 Pure Malt is one of my all time favorites, but it’s close to unobtanium at this point.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
That was my first Japanese whisky, and for a palate like mine that likes the rye spice, heat etc, this missed the mark. Drank almost like a peat-less Scotch to me, didn't really get much nose, much flavor, much finish. I definitely am in no hurry to buy Nika or any of them, but I realize it's just one example.

Maybe the Teresa's Batch has ruined me. ;):LOL:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this my new favorite Bottled in Bond? Could be. Does it beat out Henry McKenna? I think so. For only $10 more and way easier to find it’s certainly got a fighting chance. The mid-palate is where it’s all at, that’s what I love about it. You take a sip and nothing....until a big burst of flavor just shows up out of nowhere

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Is this my new favorite Bottled in Bond? Could be. Does it beat out Henry McKenna? I think so. For only $10 more and way easier to find it’s certainly got a fighting chance. The mid-palate is where it’s all at, that’s what I love about it. You take a sip and nothing....until a big burst of flavor just shows up out of nowhere

I will have to give it a try. It's actually at least $15+ cheaper than the McKenna here, as the cheapest I've seen the McKenna is $69.