What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Not really a Bourbon or Whiskey post, we’ll only sorta. I had all of these cigar bands laying around and have been thinking of a use for them. On the other hand I have some really memorable bottles as well. I decided it was time they both met

The Willett has a beautiful wooden stopper from an old Jefferson bottle I once had years ago. The Sazerac stopper is from a Small Batch EH Taylor dating back to 2015, the year I got into bourbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Anyone had this stuff before? I’ve heard some surprisingly good things from some of the reviewers I highly respect.

Old Tub

I've never tried it. I know you are a Beam guy, so theres a chance it will jive with you. The comparisons I've heard depend on the drinker. Anything from higher proof, non-chill filtered White Label (which is exactly what it is), to a young version of standard KC. It might be best compared to Distillers Cut, because I think the measurables are the same-ish.

It's around 4 yr Beam that is 100 proof, with a little more depth of flavor due to a lot of the congeners being left instead of filtered out. It will be full-bore Beam Funk, aka peanut note. If you've explored the low to mid levels of the Beam lineup (Black, BiB, etc), it will probably taste familiar.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never tried it. I know you are a Beam guy, so theres a chance it will jive with you. The comparisons I've heard depend on the drinker. Anything from higher proof, non-chill filtered White Label (which is exactly what it is), to a young version of standard KC. It might be best compared to Distillers Cut, because I think the measurables are the same-ish.

It's around 4 yr Beam that is 100 proof, with a little more depth of flavor due to a lot of the congeners being left instead of filtered out. It will be full-bore Beam Funk, aka peanut note. If you've explored the low to mid levels of the Beam lineup (Black, BiB, etc), it will probably taste familiar.
Thanks for the detailed and informative reply. Sounds like I might enjoy it, the price is certainly right for what it is, unlike some others (looking at you Uncle Nearest). You might be shocked, seeing that I tote the Beam party line so much, that I’ve never had the Black, BiB, or even the standard Beam yet. That will either work for or against me i think. It wasn’t until a year ago that I started exploring the low to mid offerings, which has been very rewarding so far. Old Overholt BiB and Evan Williams Small Batch are two shining examples

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@BourbonBinder I have an unopened bottle on my desk. Let me know when you crack it and we'll compare notes!
Awesome, sounds like a plan.

In case anyone was interested, this is one of my go to sources for reviews. He had some nice things to say about it. It’s not gonna blow your socks off but for its price point it looks like a winner sight unseen

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Every review I have read about the bourbon considers the "price point" so I'm guessing it's pretty much a well brand bourbon.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I still need to pick up a bottle of Old Tub. I'm a Beam lover, and at $22, what could go wrong?

3 pour night last night, the last one being a Beam product. :LOL:

Old standby, never disappoints.

This OF was the store pick I didn't care for. A couple weeks later and it's still not great. Did something I rarely do and put about 1/3rd of an ice cube in. It improved the palate, cherries and vanilla, but the finish was still rough....a little too much ethanol even with the ice. Next time I'll see how it is with a full cube.

And Beam makes it all alright again. :cool:

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea, I think we should schedule a virtual tasting of Old Tub. If someone wants to set up a chat or video I'm in. Or we can just set a time and post in a thread.

I did tastings at the distillery several times and liked their pre-prohibition rye enough to keep a bottle in the liquor cabinet.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Yea, I think we should schedule a virtual tasting of Old Tub. If someone wants to set up a chat or video I'm in. Or we can just set a time and post in a thread.
There's my incentive not to pass it up next time I see it. Thank you! :LOL:

Got the companion to my Rick and Morty yesterday, Whiskey Rick is a 15+ year old single barrel. Unfortunately, the first pour doesn't touch the R&M, or even the "Bazooka" 13 year pick. Hoping it improves after being open a bit, but I don't think it will ever be as good as R&M.

Drowned my "sorrows" with a favorite Booker's, Sip Awhile (17-04).