What's new

Today's Bourbon

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Found a couple Country Ham (Booker's) in a store while out riding the motorcycle yesterday. Grabbed them both as you just don't see them anymore around here. I also grabbed an old expression of Baker's, before they changed to single barrel. I hear it's better than the new Baker's, guess I'll decide for myself.

Bazillions

Cheeba Hawk
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a couple Country Ham (Booker's) in a store while out riding the motorcycle yesterday. Grabbed them both as you just don't see them anymore around here. I also grabbed an old expression of Baker's, before they changed to single barrel. I hear it's better than the new Baker's, guess I'll decide for myself.

The only difference I notice is that the newer one doesn't mottle up my taste buds if I have a few and smoke a cigar. Without the cigar, I doubt I'd be able to taste the difference, though.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think I'm gonna have to dip my toe into bourbon again. Been loving Turkey 101 recently. Wouldn't mind learning a bit more about the "good" stuff.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0

Two Booker's pours last night. Second one was 17-02, the last batch released before Chris Cornell passed on yesterday's date in 2017. Drank it while listening to Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Audioslave, and Chris' solo stuff.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Sweet is not my bourbon jam, but there are some ones that might fit that bill for your palate @Texican . I do like sweet rum, port, etc, just don't likle that particular variety of sweetness in my bourbon.

Off the top of my head for a bit of sweetness (at least for bourbon):

Eagle Rare
Angel's Envy
Old Forester 1910

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Texican like the @icehog3 said sweet is often used when describing bourbon but it just never compares to the sweetness you find in dark rums. Remember a lot of rum has added sugar. There are corn forward bourbons that are not particularly spicy boarding on sweetness, a lot of wheated bourbons that are softer and more mellow

Maker's Mark is a popular wheater that would be a good intro bourbon and inexpensive (25$) Fred Minick describes it as "Smells like Starbucks and tastes like caramel." I wouldn't go that far but it is easy to drink You can also start with a cocktail look at a Whiskey Cocktail - Bourbon, simple syrup, and bitters or a Kentucky Sunrise - bourbon, grenadine and OJ. or an Old 97

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Sweet is not my bourbon jam, but there are some ones that might fit that bill for your palate @Texican . I do like sweet rum, port, etc, just don't likle that particular variety of sweetness in my bourbon.

Off the top of my head for a bit of sweetness (at least for bourbon):

Eagle Rare
Angel's Envy
Old Forester 1910
I've found Michters US1 to be particularly sweet but well balanced. Lacks depth and complexity but for that you have to shell out the moola. Very approachable for those new to America's finest spirit.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I've found Michters US1 to be particularly sweet but well balanced. Lacks depth and complexity but for that you have to shell out the moola. Very approachable for those new to America's finest spirit.
Would you believe I've never tried any expression of Michters? Haven't seen it on any friends' bars, and no bars near me serve it. I am sure that will change sooner than later.

Went 133 proof last night with Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C917.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I think I'm gonna have to dip my toe into bourbon again. Been loving Turkey 101 recently. Wouldn't mind learning a bit more about the "good" stuff.
If you happen to see Bulleit Blenders Select 001.Grab some. Limited run. Perfect sweetness. Bourbon is really palate variable, some people get a lot of sweetness from double oaked things, where to me they’re more often bordering on bitter or astringent. Same with Ryes and wheateds, some people get more sweetness from them, others get more spice or other notes. You’ll have to try some different things to see where you fall.

4 Roses, Evan Williams single barrel, Buffalo Trace, are good places to start. Makers 101 is a great wheated to try.

barrel dovetail is a really interesting finished whiskey. The new Elijah Craig rye seems like a great Intro into that category...