What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Bucket list item checked off and one of the coolest things I have ever done - got to participate in a Smooth Ambler barrel pick for my private barrel club. Tapped four barrels, narrowed it down to two, then blind tasted those along with one more barrel we got to tap with the last one being the winner - a six year bourbon (sourced from MGP).

The crew at Smooth Ambler provided an absolutely amazing experience. If you are ever have the chance to stop by, I would highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Matt @BourbonBinder , I can remember paying around $35 for McKenna before Whiskey Advocate made it their whiskey of the year. Fine by me, I didn't care for it much at that price.

Center Cut is one of 2 bottles I haven't opened....I have been told that this may be the best Roundtable release ever by Booker's.

Last night had a couple more samples a friend in Colorado dropped on me.

Smoke Wagon 8 year Private Barrel. I see why these are garnering so much attention. Delicious flavor, oily palate coating mouthfeel and long finish. OK, I wouldn't drop $800 or even close to what secondary is commanding, but I definitely understand the praise.

The JJ Bowman Single Barrel was light on the palate and short on finish. I wouldn't seek this one out again.

Well I certainly do not have the experience you have with Booker’s so I’ll have to take your word for it, all I will say is that it was the best I’ve ever had. I think it’s safe to say you’ll be able to find some nice things to say about it. All I can advise is to save this one for a special occasion

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love everything from 1792 except small batch. Haven’t tried the wheat though.

Picked up a couple Penelope recently, looking forward to trying them..

what about Hirsch was different to you? My local wants me to buy one from him, got the impression it was just low age mgp.....
It’s a blended bourbon from MGP, it reminded me of Monkey Shoulder Scotch, which is also a myriad of different whisky blends. Both I did find some enjoyment in, but it’s not my usual style admittedly.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lite week for me in pictures. This one is probably my all time favorite everyday sipper. I’ve been through at least 6 bottles, I’m attempting to locate a 1.75L. Paired beautifully with this ultra rare Opus Shark

Friday is Poker Nights so I ended up staying till 3am hanging with the guys. I easily smoked through 6 cigars that day lol.

What’s not pictured is Elijah Craig Rye, Slaughterhouse, Pinhook off the top of my head.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Lite week for me in pictures. This one is probably my all time favorite everyday sipper. I’ve been through at least 6 bottles, I’m attempting to locate a 1.75L. Paired beautifully with this ultra rare Opus Shark

Friday is Poker Nights so I ended up staying till 3am hanging with the guys. I easily smoked through 6 cigars that day lol.

What’s not pictured is Elijah Craig Rye, Slaughterhouse, Pinhook off the top of my head.

Today's smoke with a bottle no longer available

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Love everything from 1792 except small batch. Haven’t tried the wheat though.

Picked up a couple Penelope recently, looking forward to trying them..

what about Hirsch was different to you? My local wants me to buy one from him, got the impression it was just low age mgp.....
I havent tried that Hirsch version, but have the 8 yr (?). It was good. Similar to some of the Remus picks.

Hirsch is a Michters brand. It was released to cement the rights of the new Michters ownership to any and all things the old family had (bourbon wise).

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I was at a herf this past weekend and there was an much bourbon as there was cigars. Only grabbed a couple pics, but did get to try probably a dozen "new to me" pours.

The highlight of the weekend was a Pinhook single barrel selected by the Gallenstein group. Absolutely amazing and I'll probably never have it again. :LOL:

One more pic, an older Weller Antique that had a beautiful cherry note.

Got home and had a Booker's Tagalong to cap off the weekend.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s whiskey night at my lounge tonight...which is pretty much every night but this hombre was present this time

Costco has dropped another rare release of their whiskies and the members have swarmed like the bunch of sharks that we are. Ended up buying around 30 bottles of this...

And this. All I can say is WOW!!!

A hometown favorite, even though you still cannot buy this in Jersey at this time

This was a powerhouse of intensity and flavor. I got honeycomb, pine and baby carrots...I’m known as “The Nose” at my lounge

As the bottle would suggest it’s an apple bomb. Sparking Apple cider and apricot notes. It was a blind taste and I still nearly nailed the proof; my guess was 110 proof.

Last edited: