What's new

Today's Bourbon

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Tried a sample of Boone County single barrel rye at 114 proof. Super interesting palate (think dark cherry and burnt orange) but rather disappointing short finish. Super happy to try but probably won't seek it out. Followed with a sample of Stagg Jr. 13, which I thought was better than when I had a bottle. :LOL:

Finished the night with some near Hazmat deliciousness.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Matt @BourbonBinder , I can't get the links you posted...what did Costco drop?

Last night I had a couple pours of Booker's. I know you're all shocked.

Wednesday ended with some WP 15+ year store pick.

I wish I had the devotional enthusiasm that you have towards Booker’s.

Here are the Kirklands again, hopefully they go through this time. It’s tough because now with so many of the same bottle circulating around our lounge (near 40), it’s becoming quite a regular experience to have less variety to share.

24 Year Speyside Sherry Cask Single Malt. $70 for 750ml

Single Barrel Kentucky Bourbon (120 Proof). My guess is around 10 years aged. $30 for a Liter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Time to go back to NoLa. My bottle is gone.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Definitely my favorite rye and my local liquor store always sells out of it within hours of putting it on the shelf.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Definitely my favorite rye and my local liquor store always sells out of it within hours of putting it on the shelf.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
If you go to the Sazerac House in New Orleans, there's a 30 ft tall wall filled with bottles for sale! Not to mention bottles of all the ultra rare, htf stuff from buffalo trace behind glass in their museum! All the Pappy, all the Blanton's, Eagle double....

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was at one of my old whiskey stores I use to frequent before I moved 90 miles away. The wine manager is a cigar and whiskey brother. We would talk for hours when I visited, and yesterday was no exception. Saw this in the glass display case and was compelled to share.

He explained that a particular group of people in the area buy no questions asked...hence the secondary market pricing.

They even had a 2009 George T Stagg for sale from their back stock

Speaking of Sazerac, they have the 18.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@BourbonBinder Matt, the 2009 GTS for $599? That is waaaay below secondary value. and it's Hazmat. Damn.
As good as George T Stagg is I don’t think I could bring myself to pay that price, even for a 2009. I say this as a former GTS bottle owner too. Maybe at $300 would be the absolute highest, but even at that price it would be cringeworthy for me, considering I once paid $105 for my 2017 release.

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Can't wait for bourbon to stop being the cool thing again....smdh. fortunately I've found some $10 bottles that drink just fine. Certainly not as good as Blanton's, or some of the other pricer blends I've tried. (all under $80) but they get the job done, without paying 10-20x what it's actually worth.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I really no longer chase the "good stuff". To many tasty, readily available bourbons at fair prices to try and find unicorns. I'm amazed that BT is bottle limited down here now, decent bourbon but if you named it "Joe's juice" it would be on the shelves all the time. Looking forward to cool weather so I can start drinking Scotch again!

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I've got a buddy sitting on 6 bottles of '09 GTSD...but he knows what they're worth, and he doesn't like me enough to sell me one for retail. :LOL:

Second night in a row of finishing a single barrel pick, this time a JDBP. It was really good, maybe not as good as the 1792 but right there. Think I found a backup of the same 1792 pick locally, and I have a different JDSBBP pick coming from a different store.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Poured some Knob Creek Rye single barrel picked by a group I have bought 5 or 6 picks from and every one except Barrell has been a home run. These include the best Whistlepig picks I’ve ever had. But this one breaks the streak, it’s just got so much rye heat it’s hard to drink. I actually poured out 60% of the glass.

Went to another KC Rye pick from another group I’ve had good luck with. While it’s definitely more drinkable, it’s just not my jam. Very rye forward.

Crazy because the KC bourbon picks (9-16 year) are some of my favorite whiskeys. KC Rye is a different story.

So I’ve only had a 40% pour and a small pour. I put my money where my mouth is and poured some 15 year single barrel. Yeah, there it is.