What's new

Today's Bourbon

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Only tried one rye so far and found it overwhelmingly hot/spicy. The fact that it is counted among the better ones (Whistlepig 10) doesn't make me feel good about my chances of developing a taste for it.

BUT then again...I felt the same way about lots of Nicaraguan cigars at first and now I love them so I dunno.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Only tried one rye so far and found it overwhelmingly hot/spicy. The fact that it is counted among the better ones (Whistlepig 10) doesn't make me feel good about my chances of developing a taste for it.

BUT then again...I felt the same way about lots of Nicaraguan cigars at first and now I love them so I dunno.
I started heavy into the ryes, but found the straight bourbons are more my jam. But those single barrel 10+ year Whistlepig picks....those are amazing. And the heat belies the proof on all of them. If you get a chance at one of those it's worth a try, Carlos.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I started heavy into the ryes, but found the straight bourbons are more my jam. But those single barrel 10+ year Whistlepig picks....those are amazing. And the heat belies the proof on all of them. If you get a chance at one of those it's worth a try, Carlos.
I'll keep at it. Definitely enjoying the hell out of the bourbon journey!

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Last of the samples my friend in CO sent, this one was super interesting. Copper Sky 16 year single bottle at cask strength. 139.2 is the highest proof whiskey I have drank to date (I do have a 139.6 Old Carter but haven't opened it yet). The amount of flavor that outdid the heat (no ethanol at all) was amazing and delicious.

Followed up with some Whistlepig store pick .

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Poured some Knob Creek Rye single barrel picked by a group I have bought 5 or 6 picks from and every one except Barrell has been a home run. These include the best Whistlepig picks I’ve ever had. But this one breaks the streak, it’s just got so much rye heat it’s hard to drink. I actually poured out 60% of the glass.

Went to another KC Rye pick from another group I’ve had good luck with. While it’s definitely more drinkable, it’s just not my jam. Very rye forward.

Crazy because the KC bourbon picks (9-16 year) are some of my favorite whiskeys. KC Rye is a different story.

So I’ve only had a 40% pour and a small pour. I put my money where my mouth is and poured some 15 year single barrel. Yeah, there it is.

As a 80’s/90’s kid I must say I’m drawn to that Knob Creek featuring “The Mask”. Very nicely done! Lol Do you feel thirsty punk...well. do ya?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

If I might make a suggestion for you on picking an everyday enjoyable Rye. Try this one, it’s quickly become one of my all time favorites and the price is most certainly right. I said similar things after trying one of my firsts; Woodford Reserve Rye. Gave me uncomfortable heartburn when served neat. That’s another thing, be sure to try it in a rocks glass and try it neat first, then add some drops of water accordingly.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had a huge event at my cigar lounge this past Saturday. Food was fantastic, drinks were delicious, cigars and conversation classy as always (see what I did there lol)

All in all we had about 20 bottles to share

We had a whiskey rep bring in about 6 more lol. Everything you could ever want with a cigar: Bourbon and lots of it, Scotch, Cognac, Rum, etc

First time trying and I enjoyed this one.

Haven’t had a pour of this since mid 2015. I don’t know why I waited so long, damn was it tasty.

First pour of this. Befitting considering how into Ports our group has become. Every week we now have a Port night

Not pictured are quite a few. I got pretty hammered that day. Luckily we had plenty of good eats from one of our own chefs. Fall of the bone ribs, chili, and crack chicken and bacon.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
As a 80’s/90’s kid I must say I’m drawn to that Knob Creek featuring “The Mask”. Very nicely done! Lol Do you feel thirsty punk...well. do ya?
"The Mask" was my go-to mask when Covid hit. Even though I am not a super big fan of KC Rye, it was a no-brainer to grab a couple of these from the group.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pre Birthday smoke at my lounge.

Imperial Stout. Notes of chocolate and NY Strip (you heard that right lol)

Can’t have a birthday without gifts. We have some really generous members here. Making turning 37 all the more tolerable lol