What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this is a Bourbon thread but I felt the urge to share with y'all my very first Rye Whiskey experience. Well my first bourbon was Woodford Reserve Distillers Select, it's what catapulted me forward in this hobby & I've yet to find a bourbon as memorable (the 1st usually has that affect). So I couldn't think of a better 1st Rye than Woodford Reserve Rye & there against the grain (lol get it?) reputation. I've only had yet 2 glencairn's but am scratching my head as to what to think of it. It's much spicier and peppier in the backend & is quite dry. It's not bad but I guess I was hoping in one hand and....well u know the rest of that line. I guess this is just another reason to LOVE BOURBON even more now. I can't imagine putting water in it as I don't even add water to Bookers. I'm a neat drinker but this stuff is giving me a little heartburn lol (52% rye I believe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Binder, try Rittenhouse BIB rye whiskey. You may well change your mind. I wouldn't judge all rye whiskies on one offering. ;)

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
The Pappy 12 was phenomenal, but it was the Barrel Bourbon that really made an impression. I'd love to try it again to see if I get the same notes, but I swear it tasted like smokey, maple syrup-y, bacon. It's was like nothing I've had before. It was amazing.
Barrell with two l's, right? They do some very nice stuff. I have an Astor Spirits pick from them that is so citrus-y I thought it was an orange liqueur on first sip. Other batches that I've tasted have been excellent as well. I think it may be time to start hoarding their bottles as I'm guessing they will only get more popular. Going to hunt down a bottle of this New Year stuff for myself, cheers!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Barrell with two l's, right? They do some very nice stuff. I have an Astor Spirits pick from them that is so citrus-y I thought it was an orange liqueur on first sip. Other batches that I've tasted have been excellent as well. I think it may be time to start hoarding their bottles as I'm guessing they will only get more popular. Going to hunt down a bottle of this New Year stuff for myself, cheers!
Yes, Barrell Bourbon. Unfortunately the county run liquor stores don't carry it, so chances are slim of me finding a bottle. Only good thing about the county running things is everything is MSRP.

I would highly recommend the New Year bottle. If you manage to find it, let me know what you think.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Binder, try Rittenhouse BIB rye whiskey. You may well change your mind. I wouldn't judge all rye whiskies on one offering. ;)
I will be on the lookout for that particular one, although with my current economic struggles I'm gonna stick with Rye Snifter purchases (instead of bottles). I had a somewhat similar experience to my 1st Scotch. I think it may be that I've yet to have close to a bad Bourbon & loved it from the start that's screwing with me, when i start broadening my horizons

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone here try or know about this. I bought mine at my local BuyRite but nowhere else have I seen it (which includes other BuyRites). I hear you can order it off Amazon though. Tasty stuff and perfect for when I can't stomach a high proof Bourbon Neat (which is next to never lol). I may try it on my new Rye though. It's a glass bottle with a cork!!! Mine was $8 a bottle (750 ml)

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Most all whiskey and whisky benefits from a few drops of good water as it opens up the bouquet a bit and adds a bit more to the experience. Just something I've learned over the decades. YMMV. To each his own. You bought it....drink it the way you like it. There is no right or wrong way to do it.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Anyone here try or know about this. I bought mine at my local BuyRite but nowhere else have I seen it (which includes other BuyRites). I hear you can order it off Amazon though. Tasty stuff and perfect for when I can't stomach a high proof Bourbon Neat (which is next to never lol). I may try it on my new Rye though. It's a glass bottle with a cork!!! Mine was $8 a bottle (750 ml)

I've seen it and have heard other brothers swear by it, especially when used in the making of an old fashioned. I don't personally own it, but that's about the going rate for it from what I've seen on shelves.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0

wait - $8 for water?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wait - $8 for water?
Lol yup but it's Kentucky Limestone Water (same stuff used to make bourbon) & only found in Kentucky. This way you don't alter the taste of your finely crafted whiskey by adding Iron rich tap/mineral water. It adds to the smoothness of the bourbon & helps bring out the complexities when adding water. I have yet to taste a purer water plus the glass/cork is a nice touch (same size as ur average bourbon bottle too)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried 10 droplets of that limestone water in my Woodford Reserve Rye & it certainly helped, no more heartburn & I tasted more of the flavor beyond the spice. Had 3 fingers of it too. Thanks for the suggestion