What's new

Today's Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love the vintage bottle look, it had me fooled. I half expected it to be from 30 years ago and caked with dust from deep within your heavenly spirit cabinet. Looks quite tasty though. I've only had the single barrel, which I wasn't too impressed by, but i'm looking forward to their Barrel Strength expression

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Nice! Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was surprisingly good. I'm not generally a big 4R fan, but this one had a depth to it that most of the others don't. It wasn't the thick, oily thing that I like in barrel strength bourbons, but there was a nice butterscotch note, and overall it was well-rounded. It will probably continue to open up with time.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
It was surprisingly good. I'm not generally a big 4R fan, but this one had a depth to it that most of the others don't. It wasn't the thick, oily thing that I like in barrel strength bourbons, but there was a nice butterscotch note, and overall it was well-rounded. It will probably continue to open up with time.
I love 4R, excited to try it one of these days, sounds yummy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
@ChuckMejia @AZCigarMatt Get the 100 proof Evan Williams White label . It's bottled-in-bond. Around $15. Other choices would be Very Old Barton 100 proof. With that mint and simple syrup there is no need to spend a lot here. I have made these things with PVW and I can tell you that it taste the same. I do very much prefer 100 proof as all that ice will dilute. So just get a Bottled-in-Bond and you can't go wrong with the mint juleps. Just a tip to up the flavor some. Make your own simple syrup using 1 cup of sugar mixed in 1 cup of water. Boil for 5 minutes. During the last 2 minutes add a big handful of mint leaves. Cool down to at least room temp. Mix 1 ounce of mint syrup, 1 1/2 ounces 100 proof bourbon. Fill up the cup with crushed ice. Garnish with mint leave spanked in your hand. Add straw. All set. Making your simple syrup this way really steps up the fresh mint flavor.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
@AZCigarMatt Get the 100 proof Evan Williams White label . It's bottled-in-bond. Around $15. Other choices would be Very Old Barton 100 proof. With that mint and simple syrup there is no need to spend a lot here. I have made these things with PVW and I can tell you that it taste the same. I do very much prefer 100 proof as all that ice will dilute. So just get a Bottled-in-Bond and you can't go wrong with the mint juleps. Just a tip to up the flavor some. Make your own simple syrup using 1 cup of sugar mixed in 1 cup of water. Boil for 5 minutes. During the last 2 minutes add a big handful of mint leaves. Cool down to at least room temp. Mix 1 ounce of mint syrup, 1 1/2 ounces 100 proof bourbon. Fill up the cup with crushed ice. Garnish with mint leave spanked in your hand. Add straw. All set. Making your simple syrup this way really steps up the fresh mint flavor.
@chuckmekia Dave has way more experience with these sorts of things sounds like the way to go. Mine was just a suggestion based off things I have had and can obtain in AZ.

@tennesseedave I would love to try both of those but neither can be found in AZ from my searching and experience. We are like a black hole when it comes to Bourbon. Thanks for the suggestions and recipe, I'll add both of those to my list for when I travel.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why can't I find Blantons anymore? None of the liquor stores in my area (South Jersey) have any. Can anyone recommend something comparable in taste?
As a Central Jersey Boy I know where you can get your Blantons fix. Joe Canals (Iselin) has some, ask for David (store manager). Wine Academy (Hazlet) has some (ask for Steve and tell him Matt the Ferrari detailer sent you) and I believe Buy Rite (Holmdel) has some. I can't think of anything that really compares though as Blanton's is very much one of a kind. The late but definitely great Elmer T Lee saw to that (as it was his brain child and most prized accomplishment...arguably)

Last edited: